Rear Window Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Window Problem

We just took a 2 week trip from OH to Fl with our 337RLS. Travelling/Towing was flawless. Little issues popped up. One thing i noticed is that the rear window, I guess you could call it the picture window, will not stay latched/locked. I would make sure before we left for the day and from fuel stops that it was latched but everytime we would stop, the window would be about 2-3 inches open. I don't see any adjustment for the latch and then noticed that if you push on the frame part of the window where the latch is. you can slide the window open. Any ideas other than trying to put a dowel in the track? Problem with that is the rounded corners>
    Bob P.
    2018 F-350 CCLB 4X4 Dually
    2020 337RLS
    VIN last 8 L3326309

Check the tracks to be sure the window can fully close. Look for dirt, screw, anything that would be in the way. I had a similar issue on my window and found a piece of the tracking felt wadded in the corner. I do need to use a bit of pressure still to close. I would also have the wood dowel for backup. Screw and eye bolt to one side so you have something to grab to pull it out.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Thanks. I checked, there is nothing preventing the latching, it just bounces/pops open when travelling. The center frame is not that strong structurally and is pretty easy to push/pull to get it to open.
      Bob P.
      2020 337RLS
      VIN last 8 L3326309

Comment

Originally posted by Bob P View Post
        Any ideas other than trying to put a dowel in the track? Problem with that is the rounded corners>
        Perhaps rigging a bungy cord to hold the window closed (might require a small hole to attach to window frame) would be a more forgiving way than the dowel, for holding the window closed until you figure out a permanent remedy.

Rob

Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

We just took a 2 week trip from OH to Fl with our 337RLS. Travelling/Towing was flawless. Little issues popped up. One thing i noticed is that the rear window, I guess you could call it the picture window, will not stay latched/locked. I would make sure before we left for the day and from fuel stops that it was latched but everytime we would stop, the window would be about 2-3 inches open. I don't see any adjustment for the latch and then noticed that if you push on the frame part of the window where the latch is. you can slide the window open. Any ideas other than trying to put a dowel in the track? Problem with that is the rounded corners>
          Bob,

I have the same rig as you and it is a 2021. I too experience this issue and finally settled for putting a rod dowel between the window that slides and the frame. I decided the wood dowel was insurance and no longer have to worry about the window being open. Just as you did, I made certain the window was fully closed and latched and it didn't make a difference. The self-opening didn't occur every time but it was bothersome enough for me to resort to a dowel.

Santa61
          Keith and Tina
          2021 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
          2014 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins Crew Cab SWD SB 4X4
          Hitch Curt 20k Fixed Mount

Comment

Originally posted by Santa61 View Post

Bob,

I have the same rig as you and it is a 2021. I too experience this issue and finally settled for putting a rod dowel between the window that slides and the frame. I decided the wood dowel was insurance and no longer have to worry about the window being open. Just as you did, I made certain the window was fully closed and latched and it didn't make a difference. The self-opening didn't occur every time but it was bothersome enough for me to resort to a dowel.

Santa61
            Hey Kieth, how does it fit in the corner? My concern that it would ride up the rounded corner.
            Bob P.
            2020 337RLS
            VIN last 8 L3326309

Comment

Bob, Sorry for the late response to your question. I have been on the road and busy.

Right now our 337 is in storage so I don't have an easy way to send a picture of what I made. Here is my best description. I took a 3/8" x 3/8" piece of square wood, pine, and cut it to length that is slightly longer than the window on the left as you face outside of the rig toward the back window. I then trimmed one end of the wood piece to fit into the window channel on the left. This allows me to wedge the trimmed end into the channel on the left and press it against the sliding window pane. By doing this the stick doesn't fall out and it creates enough tension to secure the window.

We haven't had any issue with the window opening by accident since we have resorted to this technique. When we are set up at a site I simply lay the piece of wood along the bottom of the window frame.

Hope this helps. We don't have another trip until August. When I retrieve the 337 I will take a picture and upload it. Bottom line, this is a very simple resolution.

Keith
              Keith and Tina

Comment

Hello Bob, I'm new to the site, but had the same issue with our 2017 337rls. I checked the track, blew it out with air nozzle, check the latch etc.. I was going crazy because I couldn't get the latch to snap behind the window. As a result it would work its way open by the time we reached our destination. Then I just slammed it shut. I was worried about being gentle with it, but because I shut it a little harder than I normally do, It worked! Might not solve your problem, but it worked for me. Good luck!

Comment

Bob, Sorry for the late response to your question. I have been on the road and busy.

Right now our 337 is in storage so I don't have an easy way to send a picture of what I made. Here is my best description. I took a 3/8" x 3/8" piece of square wood, pine, and cut it to length that is slightly longer than the window on the left as you face outside of the rig toward the back window. I then trimmed one end of the wood piece to fit into the window channel on the left. This allows me to wedge the trimmed end into the channel on the left and press it against the sliding window pane. By doing this the stick doesn't fall out and it creates enough tension to secure the window.

We haven't had any issue with the window opening by accident since we have resorted to this technique. When we are set up at a site I simply lay the piece of wood along the bottom of the window frame.

Hope this helps. We don't have another trip until August. When I retrieve the 337 I will take a picture and upload it. Bottom line, this is a very simple resolution.

Keith
                  Thanks Kieth, I'll give that a shot.
                  Bob P.
                  2020 337RLS
                  VIN last 8 L3326309

Comment

Hey Brian, I've slammed it pretty good and it seemed like it would do the trick but i noticed that due to the flex at the center framing, it would pop open. I want to make sure it's secure when stored and prevent a mess when towing in the rain!
                    Bob P.
                    2020 337RLS
                    VIN last 8 L3326309

Comment

Thanks Kieth, I'll give that a shot.
                      Bob,

I'm long over due sending you the picture of the small insurance window rod I made to keep the rear winder closed during our travels. We just returned from a 2,300 mile trip to Glacier National Park and the rod worked perfect.

I hope you get a general idea of what I made for this purpose.

Keith, Santa61

Click image for larger version

Name:	CC0357DB-FC72-46E3-9F3D-0F5909AFD7BA.jpeg
Views:	625
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	27374Click image for larger version

Name:	2A30BBDC-C8AF-4AE9-8D68-60102BEFFFED.jpeg
Views:	575
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	27375
                      Keith and Tina

Comment

Bob,

I'm long over due sending you the picture of the small insurance window rod I made to keep the rear winder closed during our travels. We just returned from a 2,300 mile trip to Glacier National Park and the rod worked perfect.

I hope you get a general idea of what I made for this purpose.

Keith, Santa61

Click image for larger version

Name:	CC0357DB-FC72-46E3-9F3D-0F5909AFD7BA.jpeg
Views:	625
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	27374Click image for larger version

Name:	2A30BBDC-C8AF-4AE9-8D68-60102BEFFFED.jpeg
Views:	575
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	27375
                        Kieth, thanks much! That is exactly what I pictured that you did. That is what I now have for ours.
                        Bob P.
                        2020 337RLS
                        VIN last 8 L3326309

Comment

I:m using the slammed shut method and its working for me window seams to be working better every day

Comment

Originally posted by teamtwister View Post
                            I:m using the slammed shut method and its working for me window seams to be working better every day
                            But if you push in on the sliding window at the latch, the sliding panel can then be opened. That was a big concern for me. Easy to get broken into.
                            Bob P.
                            2020 337RLS
                            VIN last 8 L3326309

Comment

Working...
                            X