2021 376THS - Gutter extentions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 376THS - Gutter extentions?

Hey all - Wife and I just purchased and took ownership of a 376THS-R. We ordered it with the factory installed slide-toppers which is great, however, the front 'gutters' now dump directly on top of the slide toppers. Its frustrating to think that this type of detail is simply overlooked at the factory.

Has anyone made any type of permanent change/addition to the factory installed 'gutters so they direct/funnel water at least to the point where it doesn't dump on the slide or slide toppers?
    Current: 2023 Grand Design Momentum 395MS-R. FBP, dual pane windows, 3rd A/C, heat pump, Fosgate, etc.

Truck: 2015 F350 DRW Platinum - Black.

Previous: 2021 Grand Design Momentum 376THS-R. FBP, dual pane windows, 3rd A/C, heat pump.

GDRV-Megan - Megan, can you please provide this feedback to the Momentum factory. Also, if they have a proposed solution, can you please share it with us?

Thanks,

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by shaferz View Post
      Hey all - Wife and I just purchased and took ownership of a 376THS-R. We ordered it with the factory installed slide-toppers which is great, however, the front 'gutters' now dump directly on top of the slide toppers. Its frustrating to think that this type of detail is simply overlooked at the factory.

Has anyone made any type of permanent change/addition to the factory installed 'gutters so they direct/funnel water at least to the point where it doesn't dump on the slide or slide toppers?
      I have the same - screwed on a couple gutter extenders onto the existing small gutter drains, brings them out and forward enough. Only needed to do the front drains, rear are not a problem.
      2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
      2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
      2020 Momentum 376THS
      We're both proud USAF Retirees...
      Retired RV Tech

Comment

Originally posted by shaferz View Post

Do you have any photos of what you're experiencing? Also, have you had a chance to get up on top of the roof to ensure that there is nothing blocking the track?

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Megan View Post

Do you have any photos of what you're experiencing? Also, have you had a chance to get up on top of the roof to ensure that there is nothing blocking the track?
          I will get a few pictures tomorrow and post them, but the issue is not a blocked track. The issue is that the gutter extension is set up to expel water directly onto the slide toppers.

This is only an issue on the front slides.
          Current: 2023 Grand Design Momentum 395MS-R. FBP, dual pane windows, 3rd A/C, heat pump, Fosgate, etc.

Previous: 2021 Grand Design Momentum 376THS-R. FBP, dual pane windows, 3rd A/C, heat pump.

Comment

GDRV-Megan - pictures attached. This is a new 2021 Grand Design 376THS-R. Factory-installed slide toppers. As you can see, the gutter extensions on the front put water directly onto the slide topper (and I presume, without slide toppers, the water from the gutter would all drip directly onto the slide itself.) The picture attached is looking down from the roof onto the slide topper on the front passenger side. The drivers side is exactly the same - the gutter extension puts the expelled water directly on top of the slide topper.

This cant be the intended operation, right?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9184.jpeg
Views:	659
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	24815

Comment

Sorry, new here. Silly question. What is ON your slide topper? (The black gunky stuff). Is it just water changing the color of the fabric?

Also, is the roof cracked in the top left?
              Mike
              2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post
                Sorry, new here. Silly question. What is ON your slide topper? (The black gunky stuff). Is it just water changing the color of the fabric?

Also, is the roof cracked in the top left?
                Just water - you can see the marks where it has pooled previously. It looks messy in the picture because i tried to wipe some water off the slide topper. No cracks in the roof, but I can say with certainty that the paint shop had zero cares in the world when they taped off the roof from the front cap before paint. :(

Waiting to hear back from GDRV-Megan regarding proposed solution on the gutters dumping all their water onto the slide toppers.

Comment

shaferz

I am just going to guess here so here it goes.

The actual gutter can not be made longer as it will interfere with the front cap. The only thing I can see is to have a longer spout on the gutter to reach out further, or a spout with a different angle pointing more towards the front. I have not seen any different spouts mounted or available for RV's, not to say that they are not out there. This is unfortunate but may be the product of the style of unit, lots of slides have to go somewhere.
                  A fix may be to add a piece of clear soft hose that would be pressed on or a carefully placed screw that would not interfere with the drainage. I know this is not what you want to hear but just some thoughts.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                    shaferz

I am just going to guess here so here it goes.

The actual gutter can not be made longer as it will interfere with the front cap. The only thing I can see is to have a longer spout on the gutter to reach out further, or a spout with a different angle pointing more towards the front. I have not seen any different spouts mounted or available for RV's, not to say that they are not out there. This is unfortunate but may be the product of the style of unit, lots of slides have to go somewhere.
                    A fix may be to add a piece of clear soft hose that would be pressed on or a carefully placed screw that would not interfere with the drainage. I know this is not what you want to hear but just some thoughts.

Brian
                    I hear you and agree that there are probably a few cheap fixes I could make myself. However, on rigs like this that are well north of $100k, this is exactly the type of stuff I do not expect to be overlooked. Hoping Megan comes back with a factory-suggested fix.

Comment

On my 344, the water drained onto the awning head, forcing the water back towards the trailer. I used a short piece of 1" white irrigation pipe. Sliced it down the middle, slid it over the gutter, and glued it with no more nails.

Comment

My 2017 350M had the same problem on both of the front ones. The curb side the water would drip right onto the spot light and the street side the same as yours. I got some thin sheetmetal and extended them a couple of inches and painted them black to match. So this isnt really a new problem on these units.

Comment

Originally posted by roady View Post
                          My 2017 350M had the same problem on both of the front ones. The curb side the water would drip right onto the spot light and the street side the same as yours. I got some thin sheetmetal and extended them a couple of inches and painted them black to match. So this isnt really a new problem on these units.
                          Welcome to the forum, roady. By any chance do you have a picture of your extension that you'd be willing to post here? I know it should be self-evident how it will look, but "a picture is worth a thousand words".
                          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

On the cheap, and what worked for me on my Jayco years ago, is a clothes pin. A good clothes pin with a strong spring will direct the water away from your slide. It works with the water flowing along the plastic. The strong spring keeps it in place while traveling. Once in place you never look at it, except I suppose to watch the rain fall. One of those tips I got years ago, no tools, cutting, glueing, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by TNFSolitude View Post
                              On the cheap, and what worked for me on my Jayco years ago, is a clothes pin. A good clothes pin with a strong spring will direct the water away from your slide. It works with the water flowing along the plastic. The strong spring keeps it in place while traveling. Once in place you never look at it, except I suppose to watch the rain fall. One of those tips I got years ago, no tools, cutting, glueing, etc.
                              Nah, that's too easy. A mod has to incorporate at least three trips to the hardware store and follow a spiral development plan.
                              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                              X