Vinyl insert trim falling out Reflection 28BH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinyl insert trim falling out Reflection 28BH

I have a 2020 Reflection 28BH that is a year old. The vinyl trim on the trailer is falling out. Not a piece or two, all of it. In the last two trips, we have lost over 100 feet while driving that we now need to replace.
    Why is it all falling out after a year?
    Do we need to replace the trim yearly?

Thanks for the help.
    Natalie

Just so we're on the same page. Is this the vinyl trim that fits into a metal channel on the exterior of the coach? Any chance that you could post a photo of the area?

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Yes that is correct. It has fallen out around the roof, under the cap, above the awning, and above the slides.

I will get a picture and post.

Comment

No this is not something that needs to be replaced every year. Document this with pictures and call Grand Design Service center , number is on the right of the Home Screen. I would hope being just one year old they may provide you with some replacement trim. If I remember correctly they start at the front and fold a part of the trim over and attach with a screw and then run the piece the whole way back while covering the screw in the front. I think the rear part is held on with silicone.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Same thing just happened to me on a 2020 Momentum (349M). Both sides front to rear along the roof came out while driving at freeway speeds along with one of the two front pieces. Very embarrassing to myself and the brand to have 100 feet of trim failing and flapping in the wind while driving down the road. I reinserted the front trim twice only to have it come out again. The ends were all still attached and secure but the entire lengths in between would not stay in the channel. Obviously, the higher temperatures are causing them to fail because they are simply not thick enough. Ended up having to cut them all loose at the end points to prevent a safety hazard for other drivers. Approximately 100 feet of insert failed in one day.

2020 Momentum 349M
          2019 F350 Platinum Super Duty
          U.S. Air Force Retired

Comment

Same issue yesterday on way back from Glacier. One side came out, stopped and put back in . 2 hours later did it again, cut it off, problem solved. 30 minutes later, other side flapping. Cut it off as well. Where do we go for replacement? Part number?

Comment

A couple of years ago I had the same issue on a different brand unit. I pulled all and replaced with new. The new product was 4 thousandths thicker and 30 wider. It could have been weathering or bad manufacture run that was the difference, it is an extruded product I believe and as such is subject to the speed and pressure/draw for thickness. The new stuff stayed in after that. There are a couple of manufacturers of this material, perhaps one brand is heavier than another? The material is relatively cheap by the 50 foot roll and easy to replace. Most any r.v supply store should carry it. As a last thought, as long as you have the strip off a person might as well check the screws for tight and seal them if needed.

Dave
              flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

I ordered replacement from Amazon. I got thicker and a bit wider. When replacing, leave several inches longer than you think as the stuff contracts a bit over time. My problem was the stuff contracted enough that it pulled out of the screws they used to hold it in place. I also ordered the end caps to go with the insert since the MFG (not GD) did not use them. The ones I replaced, I left 3"-4" extra at the rear and about 2 months later trimmed and put the cap on.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                and https://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Techn...s%2C197&sr=8-5
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

How is this insert molding holding up for you Jlawles2?
                  Jeff & Janice
                  2019 Solitude 377MBS, 5.5kW Onan, Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, EquaFlex/wetbolts, Triangle TRT01 LRG tires, Splendide W/D, Magnum Energy 3000W inverter/charger, 4-225AH-6V NPP AGM's, Winegard WiFi extender, RV airflow, Progressive Ind HW EMS, Andersen Ultimate Hitch​

Comment

BWSTGDS that held up well, but I swapped over to https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 on the Reflection. One of the other member here found and suggested it.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                    X