Underbelly Cover Retaining Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underbelly Cover Retaining Water

Just got back from a trip to Fontainebleau State Park. We have a 2019 Solitude 373FB. On the way back it was pouring down rain as we passed through Baton Rouge. Got home, unpacked, backed the RV into storage. The next day I went to clean the RV. I noticed the underbelly cover was deeply sagging. More in front of the RV than in the back. Pushed up on the sagging section and found it to feel heavy. Pulled a couple of screws out of the underbelly retaining strip and water poured out of the cover. After taking the full front and one side of the underbelly cover loose I found the insulation soaked with water mixed with hydraulic fluid. Mostly water, but enough hydraulic fluid to make thing really nasty. Investigating the source I found a 1/4" gap between the main trailer beam and an added rail that supports the front of the underbelly cover. In other words, a place where road water can easily enter and pool up in the underbelly cover. Since there has been no hydraulic fluid loss since we purchased the trailer, can only assume it came from the factory or the dealership. The insulation will have to be replaced and the cover cleaned and maybe replaced. Somewhat of an easy fix but the gap will need to be sealed with caulk or such. However just wanted to post this as an FYI for others to check before they encounter the same nasty problem. Was very aggravating to find!

You need to talk to GD. I think you have a valid position for this to claim for warranty under the 2 year warranty.
    2020 F-250 Lariat 2WD SuperCrew 6.7L, Blue Ox SwayPro hitch w/ 1000lb bars
    2020 Imagine 2600RD w/ Road Armor + wet bolt suspension, Yakima Longhaul Bike Rack, MicroAir EasyStart 364 for AC, Lion Energy 105 amp Lithiium Ion X2
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ
    FMCA # 489460

Comment

Originally posted by P and P View Post
      Just got back from a trip to Fontainebleau State Park. We have a 2019 Solitude 373FB. On the way back it was pouring down rain as we passed through Baton Rouge. Got home, unpacked, backed the RV into storage. The next day I went to clean the RV. I noticed the underbelly cover was deeply sagging. More in front of the RV than in the back. Pushed up on the sagging section and found it to feel heavy. Pulled a couple of screws out of the underbelly retaining strip and water poured out of the cover. After taking the full front and one side of the underbelly cover loose I found the insulation soaked with water mixed with hydraulic fluid. Mostly water, but enough hydraulic fluid to make thing really nasty. Investigating the source I found a 1/4" gap between the main trailer beam and an added rail that supports the front of the underbelly cover. In other words, a place where road water can easily enter and pool up in the underbelly cover. Since there has been no hydraulic fluid loss since we purchased the trailer, can only assume it came from the factory or the dealership. The insulation will have to be replaced and the cover cleaned and maybe replaced. Somewhat of an easy fix but the gap will need to be sealed with caulk or such. However just wanted to post this as an FYI for others to check before they encounter the same nasty problem. Was very aggravating to find!
      Yea make sure call and explain to GD. Their customer service is top notch. I recently had an issue where the ABS wasn't properly glued to my Black valve and it started to leak in my underbelly as well. I too pulled down the coroplast to find my insulation soaked. I had to wait a bit to get into the dealer because they had to submit the claim against my Reference Number and Grand Design is taking care of the repair. We spend a lot and upgrade a lot to these. To some its their home. To me its my relaxation and investment and I want to take care of it. Grand Design respects that. Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
      X