Awning fabric pulling away from track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awning fabric pulling away from track

I noticed the awning fabric is pulling away from the track on the front Carefree awning on our four month old 2020 Solitude 310GK. Has anybody else had this happen? There is a black plastic "tube" that goes into the pocket at the edge of the awning and that is what holds the fabric to the track. In my case, there is about 2" of this tubing sticking out of the front side of the fabric pocket (shown below at the bottom) and about 6" missing from the rear pocket (shown below) which is what's causing the awning fabric to pull away from the track. This black tube was apparently cut too short and not fed into the awning pocket evenly.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Rear of awning with fabric pulling out of track. This is above the front door.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning.jpg
Views:	2403
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	24957

Close up of the channel of the front awning and the black "tube" sticking out of the pocket on the awning:

Name:	awning 2.jpg
Views:	2405
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	24956
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

I've actually experienced the same exact issue on my previous RV. When the awning is installed, a screw should be inserted to keep the plastic retainer to keep it from moving. If the screw missed the plastic tube or they failed to install it, the tube will slide one way and the other end will come undone as we see in your photo.

It's nearly impossible to slide that tube back into place unless all tension is removed from the awning. Even then, there is typically too much friction to push that flexible tube back into position. You are still under warranty, so you might want you dealer to address it.

On my 2014 Reflection, I found a very easy fix that was a permanent fix.

1. Insert a screw into the awning track at the far side to keep the tube from coming any further out.
    2. Cut off the end that's hanging out and install it on the loose end of the awning so that the awning is back in place.
    3. Secure the repair with a small screw to keep it from sliding back out.

Alternative. If you can't get the cut off piece of tube to go back in place, try substituting the tube with a wooden dowell that is cut to length.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
      I noticed the awning fabric is pulling away from the track on the front Carefree awning on our four month old 2020 Solitude 310GK. Has anybody else had this happen? There is a black plastic "tube" that goes into the pocket at the edge of the awning and that is what holds the fabric to the track. In my case, there is about 2" of this tubing sticking out of the front side of the fabric pocket (shown below at the bottom) and about 6" missing from the rear pocket (shown below) which is what's causing the awning fabric to pull away from the track. This black tube was apparently cut too short and not fed into the awning pocket evenly.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Rear of awning with fabric pulling out of track. This is above the front door.

Name:	Awning.jpg
Views:	2403
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	24957

Close up of the channel of the front awning and the black "tube" sticking out of the pocket on the awning:

Name:	awning 2.jpg
Views:	2405
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	24956
      I would start by pushing the 2 inches from the front to the back while someone holds the fabric in the track at the back and then put a screw through the top of the track to hold the black plastic from moving back to the front. I would then go to an RV dealer and get a 6 inches of it and feed it in through the back so it holds the material in from the back and then put a screw through at that end as well.

Rob
      Rob & Barb
      2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
      2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Thanks for the quick feedback! I ended up cutting a wooden chopstick to length and pushed that into the awning fabric pocket. Not elegant but it worked great!
        Brian & Kellie
        2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
        2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
        2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
        2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Ahhh. You're one up on me. I never thought of the chopstick solution. And I learned that in second year engineering school...... lol.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
            Thanks for the quick feedback! I ended up cutting a wooden chopstick to length and pushed that into the awning fabric pocket. Not elegant but it worked great!
            Great Idea. I would not have thought of a chopstick or a dowel.

Rob
            Rob & Barb
            2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
            2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

I originally asked my wife for a shish kabob stick. I use those to poke holes in the roof sealant tubes. But, she only had chopsticks. The chopsticks were a little larger in diameter which worked better to seat the fabric in the rail.
              Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Working...
              X