Need advice on caulking exterior walls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on caulking exterior walls

I have some edge trim on my rig that needs to be caulked to prevent water intrusion. It looks like silicone was used by the factory, but in spots there are sections missing - there is no nice bead along the edge. I have heard that silicone is not the best option for resealing trim pieces and that a lot of people seem to use Proflex.

I am assuming I need to get all the old silicone off first, but not sure of the best way to do that.

Any suggestions on the best product and/or techniques would be appreciated.

Bob
    2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Hi Bob.

That Geocel Proflex is what I use, and it's held up very well in the Arizona sunshine. Silicone like the manufacturers use is cheap, but it does not adhere well to fiberglass.

When I removed my silicone, I carefully used a razor blade scraper and worked very carefully to make sure I didn't damage the fiberglass skin. If your rig is over a year old, I'd reseal ever window, door, side vent, hatch, you name it. If it has silicone, I'd take it off and reseal. The exception is anything attached to the side of the coach that has butyl putty. You can usually tell butyl putty because a small amount will be squished out and it will normally be gray in color.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by bogen2 View Post
      I have some edge trim on my rig that needs to be caulked to prevent water intrusion. It looks like silicone was used by the factory, but in spots there are sections missing - there is no nice bead along the edge. I have heard that silicone is not the best option for resealing trim pieces and that a lot of people seem to use Proflex.

I am assuming I need to get all the old silicone off first, but not sure of the best way to do that.

Any suggestions on the best product and/or techniques would be appreciated.

Bob
      I have been using LEXEL. It is clear and stays pliable and has very good expansion characteristics. Unlike Jim I had a lot of issues with Proflex getting hard and cracking. So far really like the LEXEL. Like Jim I clean off as much as I can with a razor blade then use WD40 and Simple Green to clean the residue off so that the new caulking will stick. Take your time to clean the silicone off and even if you have cleaned and think you have it all clean again or you will be redoing the new caulking job again.

Rob
      Rob & Barb
      2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
      2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Originally posted by Calbar View Post
        I have been using LEXEL.
        I've been using ProFlex, too, and while it seems to be holding up it is not easy to apply and make a nice smooth bead like silicone. (I've tried the non-ammonia window cleaner on the fingers trick...you name it...ProFlex is messy to work with!)

If you've used ProFlex, how is working with LEXEL in comparison?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ProFlex.JPG
Views:	1105
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	25525
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I've been using ProFlex, too, and while it seems to be holding up it is not easy to apply and make a nice smooth bead like silicone. (I've tried the non-ammonia window cleaner on the fingers trick...you name it...ProFlex is messy to work with!)

If you've used ProFlex, how is working with LEXEL in comparison?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ProFlex.JPG
Views:	1105
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	25525
          Hi Howard,

Working with LEXEL I find is easier than with ProFlex. A bit of soapy water on the finger every couple of feet and it looks really good. It gets a skin on it fairly quickly so I smooth out quite often. I am not the best at caulking so sometimes it does not look the best but it is really clear, almost glass like so looks pretty good when cured even if I make a bit of an oops.

Rob
          Rob & Barb
          2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
          2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Originally posted by Calbar View Post

Hi Howard,

Working with LEXEL I find is easier than with ProFlex. A bit of soapy water on the finger every couple of feet and it looks really good. It gets a skin on it fairly quickly so I smooth out quite often. I am not the best at caulking so sometimes it does not look the best but it is really clear, almost glass like so looks pretty good when cured even if I make a bit of an oops.

Rob
            I'm going to have to try that the next time I caulk. But you all are right. ProFlex is tough to apply with a consistent bead.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

This is an old thread but wanted to note I was given by a GD factory service tech the sealant they use it is Trempro 645. I was very hesitant to use this to reseal last week all the trim and openings but was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to work with. TremPro 645 cures to a flexible rubber when exposed to moisture present in the air. I was using ProFlex RV before and that was not easy to work with and the job looked messy no matter how careful I was.

After watching this video, I got some confidence I needed to remove only damaged or dried silicone. So I cleaned all well with mineral spirits to check condition. It did stick to original. We shall see how it does after this summers travel.

https://www.tremcosealants.com/marke...s/trempro-645/

https://youtu.be/bSGWF7N01C0
              Vivian
              2018 Reflection 303rls
              Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
              Demco Recon

Comment

Timely information. I was just thinking I need to start thinking on how to reseal some of my trim.
                Mike
                2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
                  This is an old thread but wanted to note I was given by a GD factory service tech the sealant they use it is Trempro 645. I was very hesitant to use this to reseal last week all the trim and openings but was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to work with. TremPro 645 cures to a flexible rubber when exposed to moisture present in the air. I was using ProFlex RV before and that was not easy to work with and the job looked messy no matter how careful I was.

After watching this video, I got some confidence I needed to remove only damaged or dried silicone. So I cleaned all well with mineral spirits to check condition. It did stick to original. We shall see how it does after this summers travel.

https://www.tremcosealants.com/marke...s/trempro-645/

https://youtu.be/bSGWF7N01C0
                  That sealant looks promising, I will need to look into it. Thanks! One time when I asked GD customer service what sealant they recommended for the walls, they suggested OSI Quad, which I believe is sold as LePage Quad in Canada. While I have had good luck with that sealant standing up to the weather and Sun for other projects, it is not easy to apply cleanly on the RV. I suspect it behaves much like the ProFlex RV sealant, although i have never used ProFlex, only read about it. Another rep at GD also suggested Alpha Systems 862157, 1010 non sag sealant, but again I've never used it myself.
                  2019 Imagine 2400BH
                  2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

StephenO -- you are correct that RV ProFlex is harder to apply cleanly. Standard 100% silicone is easy to get a nice bead, using non-ammonia window cleaner sprayed on your finger and then wiping. (I watched GD techs at the rally do this--they were very good at it.)

From personal experience RV ProFlex is not as easy. Definitely do not apply too much at one time or too little. A deft touch with the application is almost a requirement with one swipe to get it as nice looking as possible. After that first pass...it becomes a sticky mess.

Howard
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

howson , did you make the switch to Lexel or are you still using ProFlex? My current tube of ProFlex is toast (opened earlier this year) and I need to buy some new stuff for sealing the exterior trim and fittings, so I thought I'd come to the pros and see what they are using. I've only used ProFlex on small sections of trim, so I don't really have anything to compare it's ease of use to.
                      Mike and Rebecca
                      2022 Reflection 150 260RD, October 2021 build date.
                      2001 Chev 2500 HD 8.1 liter 4x4

Comment

Mike & Rebecca

Yes, I stopped using ProFlex. I found it too difficult to apply neatly.

I forget the brand Beachcamperrecommended, but that's what I used.

Comment

I used to use ProFlex for all exterior trim and screws but found it not very easy to apply. A few years ago when at the factory service center, a tech working on my unit was using the Tempro 645. It was night and day difference in how easy and neat his work looked vs mine using Geocel or ProFlex. He gave me a tube to try and when I resealed all exterior was very happy with not only the ease but how well it worked not to shrink, remains very flexible and I have not had any water intrusion where applied. It also stays in tube longer without drying out.

LaVenture products sells to retail at this site:

https://industrialhardwaredirect.com/product/th645cl/

Sometimes you can buy from GD parts as well.
                          Last edited by Beachcamper; 08-07-2023, 03:55 PM.
                          Vivian
                          2018 Reflection 303rls
                          Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                          Demco Recon

Comment

When I use sealant (i.e. ProFlex, Silicon) on the trailer for straight runs, I always use thick painter's tape I carefully put it down the joint a little less than about a 1/4" away from the seam on both sides (nice and straight). Then I apply my ProFlex (or silicon). Next, I run my finger down it to smooth it out. The squeeze out never goes past the thick painter's tape. Then I wait for a minute and pull the tape. This always gives me nice, crisp caulk lines without mess.
                            2023 Grand Design Imagine XLS 21BHE
                            2023 Ford F-350 12,000 lb GVRW w/tow tech package

Comment

I wonder how well Lexel would work? It's available locally. The issue I've found in the past with using silicone caulking is that it attracts dirt after a while, but much easier to work with than ProFlex.
                              2020 Reflection 273MK
                              2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Working...
                              X