Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody have experience with Carefree "Ascent RM" roof mounted slide toppers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody have experience with Carefree "Ascent RM" roof mounted slide toppers?

I contacted Carefree of Colorado to get their recommendation for a dinette slide topper for my 310GK. I included a photo of my slide with the factory mounted Carefree awning. They recommended their Ascent RM model which I can't find anywhere on their website - or anywhere else for that matter. The email reply from Carefree included this photo of the Ascent RM:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 8.53.50 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	87.1 KB ID:	25766

Here is a photo of my rear dinette slide and the factory Carefree awning:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2705.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.5 KB ID:	25767

Has anybody seen or used this Ascent RM slide topper? I'm not too excited about mounting a topper to my roof. I think she recommended it because I only have about 3" from the top of the awning mounted to my slide and the top of the slide itself. I know Howard moved his awning down to accommodate his topper. I'm not quite that brave yet.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Brian

I do not have any experience with this topper but will add an observation.

To me I would think this topper needs to be installed on a flat roof. The location of your slide and the front to back angle of the roof may cause a problem with the winding of the fabric.

Brian (other one ,or three)
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
      Has anybody seen or used this Ascent RM slide topper?
      Nope.

With only the picture as my frame of reference, it looks like the material rolls up into the case on the roof. Won't this "suck up" the debris (leaves, pine needles, etc) on the topper? Not having to clean anything off the top of the slide (or topper) is one of the primary benefits of a slide topper. This doesn't appear to give the owner that benefit.

Or am I seeing it wrong?

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Country Campershowson - you both bring up excellent points that I hadn't considered. I'm scratching this Ascent RM model off my list.
        Brian & Kellie
        2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
        2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
        2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
        2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Nope.

With only the picture as my frame of reference, it looks like the material rolls up into the case on the roof. Won't this "suck up" the debris (leaves, pine needles, etc) on the topper? Not having to clean anything off the top of the slide (or topper) is one of the primary benefits of a slide topper. This doesn't appear to give the owner that benefit.

Or am I seeing it wrong?
          Howard,

It looks like it may have a rubber scraper at the point where the material rolls up into the housing. Not sure how effective this would be where maybe there is a video out there somewhere.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Howard,

It looks like it may have a rubber scraper at the point where the material rolls up into the housing. Not sure how effective this would be where maybe there is a video out there somewhere.

Jim
            Could be. Sounds like Brian, bertschb, doesn't want to be the "test dummy" for the forum on the product, though. (I don't blame him!)

Would be cool if the company sent one to him for free in exchange for an honest review. Brian could be their "in" to the GD crowd.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
              Sounds like Brian, bertschb, doesn't want to be the "test dummy" for the forum on the product, though.
              You got that right! I'm shopping other brands now. Trying to figure out who makes the best slide toppers and hopefully one that will fit above my slide mounted awning.
              Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post

You got that right! I'm shopping other brands now. Trying to figure out who makes the best slide toppers and hopefully one that will fit above my slide mounted awning.
                Can't say I blame you Brian.

Jim

Comment

Just to bunny trail this for a second, I have exactly the opposite problem.

I have toppers on my '17 310 slides and would like to add an awning to my LR slide. Any easy options?
                  2017 310GK

Comment

Working...
                  X