Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the gaps for at the bottom of the gasket that is used to "seal" the windows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the gaps for at the bottom of the gasket that is used to "seal" the windows?

As seen in the picture below, the bottom part of the gaskets that are used to seal the windows in our Solitude have two gaps. Does anybody know what these are for? Seems like a bad idea when you're trying to keep cold or hot air out of the RV.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gap.jpg
Views:	918
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	26118
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
    Does anybody know what these are for?
    I *think* the window is a 3000FV. There is a lot of information on LCI's website, but nothing specifically addresses the question you're asking, Brian. But knowing the model of the window may help if you decide to call LCI to inquire about the gap.

If both gaps are on the bottom edge of the window they may be there for water management. If you look closely at pictures in the 3000 SERIES RV WINDOW OPERATOR REPLACEMENT document (attached) it appears there are gaps in the seal in the window shown.

Attached Files
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks for the link Howard. I sent Lippert an email asking what these gaps in the gasket are for. I'll report back if I hear from them.
      Brian & Kellie
      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Weep holes - they allow water that makes it ways past the seal to drain out.

EDIT: and allow condensation running down from the inside to drain out.
        Colan Arnold
        2016 Momentum 397TH
        Full time since 2016

Comment

Originally posted by colan View Post
          Weep holes - they allow water that makes it ways past the seal to drain out.

EDIT: and allow condensation running down from the inside to drain out.
          ^^^ This. When I replaced a rear side window I had this conversation with Lippert.
          2017 310GK

Comment

colan and JeffC thanks for the confirmation! LCI incorporates water management into many of their windows, but none of the diagrams specifically addressed the 3000 series as shown.

bertschb and those who may be interested in this topic, the attached LCI document shows the lengths they go to in their RV Transit window to keep water from entering the walls or interior. Each model window apparently has different approaches to the problem, but shedding water is obviously a major part of the window design and installation process.
            Attached Files
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

We have a different style of window, but in the photo below, you can see the weep holes in the frame for shedding water.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Window.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	26245
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

It's hard to believe they need two 1" gaps in the bottom gasket to help drain condensation (which we never get). That would be some serious condensation! I know these RV's are poorly insulated with many areas for air leaks but adding all these gaps in the gaskets around the windows sure doesn't help. The good news is you don't need to open a window when you run a ceiling vent fan. Plenty of air leaks through the window gaskets.
                Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Update: I ended up buying some of this foam weather seal and filled in all the gaps at the bottom of the windows. In total, these gaps allow a decent amount of air intrusion. I don't need that when it's 110 outside! We have low humidity where we stay so we don't need these "drains" for surplus moisture.

BTW, we've made a number of changes to the RV to help keep it cooler inside. We have no problems now with 110 degree outside temps.

Some of the changes:
                  • RVAirFlow in both A/C units
                  • Blocked space under stairs, kitchen hutch and around plumbing under bathroom sink which were open to the basement
                  • Adding foam to bathroom ceiling vent during mid-day
                  • Sealed gaps in windows (mentioned above)
                  • Installed slide toppers
                  • Close most shades during the heat of the day
                  • Extend awnings each day (they face south)
                  • Put pillows in upper cabinets above rear couch (which faces west)
                  • Front closet sliding door stays closed during the day (it faces east)
                  • The LED ceiling lights generate a lot of heat so those stay off during the day
                  • Baking cookies, etc is done in the morning
                  In total, I'd say these changes have dropped the internal temps by close to 10 degrees.
                  Last edited by bertschb; 10-15-2020, 09:41 AM.
                  Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Brian bertschb - that's a good list and effective. I was surprised to see the item about the ceiling LED lights generating heat. I thought the idea of using LEDs vs incandescent in RVS was to eliminate the heat generation issue ?

Dan
                    Dan & Carol
                    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post
                      I was surprised to see the item about the ceiling LED lights generating heat.
                      I agree. The LED lights over our kitchen sink don't get hot. When I've removed the ceiling lights to replace them (about a dozen times now), they are HOT.
                      Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

I agree. The LED lights over our kitchen sink don't get hot. When I've removed the ceiling lights to replace them (about a dozen times now), they are HOT.
                        Probably not the LED lights themselves, but the drivers and power supply. Difference in the quality of components in your kitchen lights vs the RV lights. Also realize how much power is wasted to make that heat, the light uses almost no power lol.

Neil Citro
                        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

* Front closet sliding door stays closed during the day (it faces east)
                          Brian,

Have you felt the gap between the two closet doors where they overlap?...

Rob

Rob & Laura
                          U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                          2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                          2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                          (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                          Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post
                            Have you felt the gap between the two closet doors where they overlap?...
                            Geeze! I just checked that. There is a 3/4" gap running the full length of that door! I'll definitely need to work on that.

I saw the "insulation" in the front cap when I removed the rear wall of the washer/dryer closet. There were a few 12" wide bats of fiberglass insulation just hanging there with huge gaps (like 2 feet) between them. That's why the front closet of our RV gets HOT when the sun hits it. Yes, there is insulation. No, it doesn't help at all the way it's installed - and I use the word "installed" loosely here.

It looks like we only have another week of 100 degree temps so I hope to be able to relax all these heat reduction measures soon. 90's is sounding awesome!!!!
                            Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Working...
                            X