No announcement yet.

Changing the Steps - Morryde Out, Alumi-tread In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I am unsure about it. I have a pair of screw jacks I put under the bottom step now and they do work well aside from being a pain to setup and having to stow them. I have been pushing for moving to Solid Steps, but my wife is worried about using them at truck stops, so we thought this might be a middle ground. For the price I think we will try it once released unless someone has a bad experience in the meantime.

This is what I use now:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Stabili.../dp/B0024E6ZRW
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I'll be curious to read the feedback on how effective they are when one steps anywhere other than the center of the step and particularly near the step edges left and right of the center mounting location of the support device. We do not always step in the center and often near the edge of the steps. I suspect that there will be an increasing level of step "tilt" the further one is to the edge on the first step.

Dan
      Dan & Carol
      2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
      2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Per the comments in the other thread, the linked video shows considerable flex in the middle step. I wonder if we could invent and fabricate something similar that supported both the bottom and middle steps? This would have to be reasonably easy to install/remove but would only be used ( in my case) for extended stay sites.

Rob
        Ok Mr. Engineer get to work on a design and I will fit it into production. I may fiddle with something but not right now , too many things that is occupying my time.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post

I think it will work excellent. Think of it like this, the point where it attaches to the camper acts like a pivot, and the steps like a lever. The longer the lever, the more the force. The more the force, the more the bounce. By supporting the bottom step, it's giving two points of contact, and the step is no longer acting like a lever, it's acting like a beam.

I would imagine you would only be able to feel the steel support frame flexing (IE, not much if at all).

I'm putting it on my *after* Christmas list. :-)
          mpking

Mike,

You hit this spot on. The moment (torque) will apply the most motion while stepping on the bottom step since Torque = Force x Distance. Perhaps to mount the support on the middle step may be the best compromise if the legs extend long enough. This however would interfere with folding the bottom step and may function as a rocker. Not good.

Even to be installed on the bottom step as intended would be better than nothing IMO.

I will order this item as soon as its available.

Jim
          Last edited by Guest; 12-22-2020, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Guys,

Looking at the Lippert videos, it can be seen that the entire unit is rotating under the rig, even with the Lippert solid stance unit installed and while stepping on the center step. Once this bending is supported where the alumi tred unit is mounted to the rig, it looks like this sold stance add on unit will provide the needed support at the end of the step where max torque would be exerted.

Jim

Comment

Working...
            X