Waxing the exterior...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waxing the exterior...

I’m getting ready to give the rig it’s first coat of wax. I got some of the good stuff, along with a new brush for washing. I seem to remember seeing, on this or other forums, that you should not wax the decals. I don’t remember why, just not to do it. Almost the entire front cap on my Reflection is covered in decals. From the dark background, to the “Reflection” logo, to the two smaller ones at the lower corners, there isn’t much that isn’t covered by decals. Going down the side, I see decal, awning supports and windows. Not much open area there, either.

Do you just wax 25% of the unit, where there are no decals, windows, etc, or did I misunderstand something?

Thanks, in advance.
    Attached Files
    Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Tom

I am following along with this.
    When you get yours done I will bring mine down and you can do it as well, practice makes perfect

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I've used Thetford RV Wax for over 10 years. It has never discolored my decals, and it states that it's decal safe. I normally purchase it through Amazon, but it's showing out of stock right now. It is a liquid carnauba based was with UV protection. I wax my trailer 3-4 times per year to try and protect it from the Arizona sun. My decals still look new.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

There are many good products out there where I've been using the Maguire's wash and wax with favorable results. Don't use too much as it will leave wax spots. Just the right amount and the rig looks like the day I bought it. I inquired with them a few years ago and they confirmed this product is safe on all decals.

https://www.autozone.com/car-wash-an...MDGA&gclsrc=ds

Jim

Comment

I have used the Thetford wax referenced by TucsonJim (on his recommendation ) with good results when the RV was newer. More recently, with several years of summer sun in Canada and winter sun in Florida, I needed something to remove light oxidation and stains. (My decals are deteriorating on the side usually in the afternoon sun, but this is not the fault of the wax). I found Meguires Boat/RV Cleaner/Wax https://www.meguiars.com/marine/prod...2-32-oz-liquid to be the best at cleaning and restoring the shine to gelcoat and decals. I have also used their oxidation remover and pure wax on the worst areas with good results.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

It sounds like many have waxed right over the decals, with no ill-effects. Is anyone aware of any issues that have surfaced doing this?

Thanks
            Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
            Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
            2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
            Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
            Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

Originally posted by Tom in PGH View Post
              It sounds like many have waxed right over the decals, with no ill-effects. Is anyone aware of any issues that have surfaced doing this?

Thanks
              Hi Tom,

I think this is true. If the cleaner/wax is for boats/RVs and does not specifically say “do not apply to decals” it should be OK. I started out (5 years ago) following the advice to wax the gelcoat and use 303 on the decals. A tedious process. The original decals on the front cap deteriorated in the first two years. I don’t know if these two things are related. Then, I went to the Thetford wax on everything and subsequently to the Meguiars products. The replacement front cap decals are surviving much better. (This is just one owner’s opinion . . . I know that many swear by the 303 for decals.)

Robm
              Cate & Rob
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I was under the impression that any wax product that was petroleum based was not advisable on decals. Wrong??
                2020 Reflection 273MK
                2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
                  I was under the impression that any wax product that was petroleum based was not advisable on decals. Wrong??
                  I asked this question with Meguiars and they said the petroleum concentration in their wash and wax is very low and would not pose an issue with decals. They mentioned the low quantity of petroleum is used as an emulsifier.

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                    I found Meguires Boat/RV Cleaner/Wax https://www.meguiars.com/marine/prod...2-32-oz-liquid to be the best at cleaning and restoring the shine to gelcoat and decals. I have also used their oxidation remover and pure wax on the worst areas with good results.Rob
                    Hi Rob, can't find out on the product web site, how is this stuff used? Is it mixed with water or simply applied out of the bottle? What I really want to know is if I need a 32oz bottle or 1gal jug (for $100+!!) for our 35-foot Solitude.

Thanks.
                    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post

Hi Rob, can't find out on the product web site, how is this stuff used? Is it mixed with water or simply applied out of the bottle? What I really want to know is if I need a 32oz bottle or 1gal jug (for $100+!!) for our 35-foot Solitude.

Thanks.
                      Hi Mark,

The 32 oz bottle (from CTC) will do your whole Solitude . . . with some left over for next time .

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks.
                        I ordered the gallon jug from Amazon (today!) and it was $52. Are you in Canada, too, Mark?

Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Wax.JPG
Views:	2625
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	28170
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I ordered the gallon jug from Amazon (today!) and it was $52. Are you in Canada, too, Mark?
                          I am Howard. Here's the same product on Amazon.ca, the Canadian site:

https://www.amazon.ca/Meguiars-M5032...9&sr=8-50&th=1

Without getting into a lot of off-topic detail, that's a third-party seller and they often have wild mark-ups but sometimes Amazon itself whacks us pretty hard too.

@Cate&Rob has told me that a 32oz bottle will more than do our 35-foot trailer. You bought a gallon of it - is there an invitation to others in the offing to come and have you do their trailers for them?!
                          Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

is there an invitation to others in the offing to come and have you do their trailers for them?!
                            Come out to the Quartzsite Arizona GDRV get-together in February, and I'll help you wax it as long as you provide the cold beer.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
                            2024 Solitude 310GK
                            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                              Come out to the Quartzsite Arizona GDRV get-together in February, and I'll help you wax it as long as you provide the cold beer.
                              Jim if we're allowed across the border by then I might just take you up on that. Thanks!

Complicated now though. It seems likely that by the time the border opens the registration for Quartzsite will be full... I remember it filled quickly last year before we could plan for it. However imagining you waxing my trailer just might be enough to warm me through the winter months.

Comment

Working...
                              X