2021 solitude 380 FL-R entry door stop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 solitude 380 FL-R entry door stop

New to the owners site and was wondering if they make an entry door kit stop so the door doesn’t open all the way to the magnetic stop on the side of the rv. Reason I am asking is my wife tried to stop the door from opening all the way this past weekend and fell off the step and broke her wrist. I thought I have seen some models that have a assist where the door stops at 90 degrees. Just wanted to ask and see if there was something we could do so door doesn’t have to open all the way.

thank you,
    scott

Welcome to the forum! We all hate that this has to be your first posting, but more importantly why you had to make it. I'm sorry that I can't help you with the question, but I can safely say that everyone here hope that your wife can make a speedy and full recovery.
    Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
    Nash County, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by Cptrm5741 View Post
      New to the owners site and was wondering if they make an entry door kit stop so the door doesn’t open all the way to the magnetic stop on the side of the rv. Reason I am asking is my wife tried to stop the door from opening all the way this past weekend and fell off the step and broke her wrist. I thought I have seen some models that have a assist where the door stops at 90 degrees. Just wanted to ask and see if there was something we could do so door doesn’t have to open all the way.

thank you,
      scott
      I echo ThePowells sentiments--hope your wife heals up quickly, Scott.

I replaced the OEM handles with Stromberg's Lend A Hand as I have a family members that have a lot of difficulty with their balance. It is far from perfect, but does help. Below you can see the comparison to the stock handle.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Handles Compared.JPG Views:	0 Size:	133.8 KB ID:	29982
      This does not address your specific question, though. I have not seen it done, but the Stromberg website implies the handle can be installed on the right side of the door. Mounted at just the right spot, it could act as a door stop. Note, however, that the website has a caution in bold stating a setup like that is not meant to break a fall. https://www.strombergcarlson.com/pro...ment-hardware/

If this seems like an option, consider consulting wtih Grand Design Customer Service . What you'll want to know is if there is any type of backing material in the wall where you want to mount the Lend-A-Hand (presumably on the right side of the door. If there's only laminate and foam insulation where you want it mounted....you'll have to find an alternative solution.

What's an alternative? It could be as simple as a triangle of wood that attaches (with velcro) to the side of the camper. Wrap the side that will impact the door with a pool noodle. Not very fancy, but it will stop the door. You'll have to experiment (but don't use a live test subject!!!)

Please post back once you figure out a solution, and when you get a chance check out the Welcome Letter here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

After looking at Howard's pics, maybe installing another OEM handrail on the other side of the door with the handle folding forward to store next to the wall?
        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
        Nash County, NC
        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by Cptrm5741 View Post

thank you,
          scott
          Scott I hope you wife heals quickly. The PT will be hard on her (been there) so plan something special. Be sure she does the exercises and be nice, otherwise I am sure she will find another use for those elastic exercise bands

Question - was there a high wind? My door has the friction hinge, so it is very hard to blow open away from me. Perhaps there is a way to tighten the hinge up. Just thinking here
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Oh, no, so sorry this happened to your wife. Hope recovery goes well for her.

We we added the Lend a Hand handle that howson shared, but also this screen door handle. So much easier to grab the door and bring it in as you’re entering, as well as helping keep my balance going up the stairs.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Screen-...a-568335248769
            Andi
            Brookings SD
            2018 Reflection 337RLS
            2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax

Comment

Working...
            X