Awning support came loose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awning support came loose

2018 Grand Design Imaging 2500RL about 10,000 miles on it while towing home from Florida to Colorado we noticed front awning support vibrating and when we stopped to have a look found the bottom screws gone, middle screws pulled loose.

Anyone know how to fix this?

What will a dealer charge?

Overall I'm pretty disappointed in my GD experience. After 30 years of travel trailers and 4 vendors I have to say the GD is the most work we have ever put in on a travel trailer. In just 2 years we've had a broken slider awning (dealer installed wrong), 4 tires replaced, lost the driver sider fender when it broke off (probably a loose screw we didnt notice because afterwards we saw the other side had a loose screw) and now the awning. Kind of makes me worried about whats next. My 8 year old Forest River didn't have this many problems.

Click image for larger version

Name:	camper awning 2.jpg
Views:	899
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	30387Click image for larger version

Name:	camper awning 1.jpg
Views:	868
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	30388
    Attached Files

Originally posted by bteymouri View Post
    2018 Grand Design Imaging 2500RL about 10,000 miles on it while towing home from Florida to Colorado we noticed front awning support vibrating and when we stopped to have a look found the bottom screws gone, middle screws pulled loose.

Anyone know how to fix this?

What will a dealer charge?

Overall I'm pretty disappointed in my GD experience. After 30 years of travel trailers and 4 vendors I have to say the GD is the most work we have ever put in on a travel trailer. In just 2 years we've had a broken slider awning (dealer installed wrong), 4 tires replaced, lost the driver sider fender when it broke off (probably a loose screw we didnt notice because afterwards we saw the other side had a loose screw) and now the awning. Kind of makes me worried about whats next. My 8 year old Forest River didn't have this many problems.

Click image for larger version

Name:	camper awning 2.jpg
Views:	899
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	30387Click image for larger version

Name:	camper awning 1.jpg
Views:	868
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	30388
    There is a section of galvanized sheet metal that is mounted in the wall at that location. You can repair it by going one screw size larger and screwing it back to the wall. Do not over tighten the screws or you run the risk of pulling the threads on the sheet metal again.

JIm
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

This thread might help https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...-screws-repair. You can extra screws too, just be sure to use the butyl sealant.
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

TucsonJim and Yoda

I saw the thread Yoda posted doing the repair on his awning arms (Fantastic work BTW), and I too have unfortunately join the bowed awning arm club on our Imagine. I was able to tighten up the existing screws and they seemed to grab, but I am sure the arms will come loose again. I saw in the very original thread about the bowed arms in post #18, that GD said there is "Electrogalvanized Steel sheet metal runs the length of the awning arm" on your units. Do you know off hand if Grand Design has confirmed that it's the same case for the Imagine series, and the suggested fix of adding more screws will work there too? I am assuming the work to add this additional support to the awning arms wouldn't be covered by the 3 year structural warranty, so I need to evaluate if I can tackle this myself or need to find somebody who can do this for me... Thanks!
        2019 Imagine 2400BH
        2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post
          TucsonJim and Yoda

I saw the thread Yoda posted doing the repair on his awning arms (Fantastic work BTW), and I too have unfortunately join the bowed awning arm club on our Imagine. I was able to tighten up the existing screws and they seemed to grab, but I am sure the arms will come loose again. I saw in the very original thread about the bowed arms in post #18, that GD said there is "Electrogalvanized Steel sheet metal runs the length of the awning arm" on your units. Do you know off hand if Grand Design has confirmed that it's the same case for the Imagine series, and the suggested fix of adding more screws will work there too? I am assuming the work to add this additional support to the awning arms wouldn't be covered by the 3 year structural warranty, so I need to evaluate if I can tackle this myself or need to find somebody who can do this for me... Thanks!
          The Steel backing plate should be there. Very easy to check. Get a strong magnet and slide it along the fiberglass towards the awning where you want to add screws. If the plate is there it should stick. Also you can call GD customer support and they may be able to confirm. howson Howard - do you happen to have the plans for his unit to see if the backing plate is there?

Hope this helps
          Keith

PS - Thanks for the kind words -, and I am sure you can do the work.

ON edit - post #18 by Jim is correct for the repair TucsonJim You will need to loosen the other screws to get the sealant in (I used shims) however have a few oversized screws handy just in case one of the originals strips out. Also if you awning is a Dometic call them and get the free rubber bumpers for the bottom - takes a lot of stress off the awning when opening.
          Last edited by Yoda; 09-24-2020, 11:28 AM.
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

TucsonJim and Yoda

Stephen,

I pulled the wall drawings for your 2400BH. It shows that the EGS backers for the awning run the full height of the wall, from the floor to the roof. I'm sending you a PM with a drawing snapshot of the relevant area.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks for all the info TucsonJim and Yoda, you guys are awesome!

I have not heard about these rubber bumpers for the Dometic awning, I will certainly reach out to them for this. Is that what I ask for though, Rubber Bumpers for our awning? Just want to make sure I am using the right terms
              2019 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

Thanks for all the info TucsonJim and Yoda, you guys are awesome!

I have not heard about these rubber bumpers for the Dometic awning, I will certainly reach out to them for this. Is that what I ask for though, Rubber Bumpers for our awning? Just want to make sure I am using the right terms
                Yep
                Part number is 3310777.000 Kit, Bumper Arm. It comes with rivets and screws.

Comment

Checked for steel plate-it’s 3 inches away from awning support. Manufacturing defect? What now?

Comment

Originally posted by bteymouri View Post
                    Checked for steel plate-it’s 3 inches away from awning support. Manufacturing defect? What now?
                    I would try reaching out to Grand Design and ask them if they could cover this. Worse case is they say that they won't cover it and then you at least know. Otherwise they may ask for you to take it to your dealer and have them review, but that might cost you if Grand Design doesn't cover it in the end. Just FYI - I inquired with Grand Design directly about my screws coming loose and if they would cover the fix Yoda showed and was told this would only be covered under the 1-year warranty and not the 3-year structural. However, when I asked about warranty coverage Grand Design did confirm for me that this fix is applicable with my unit, and they did that with a phone call to me on a Sunday evening of all things. Super nice of them.
                    2019 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

Working...
                    X