Exterior door popping open on road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exterior door popping open on road

On our trip from the Denver area to Dubois, WY, our entry door popped open multiple times. We have a 2020 Solitude S with MorRyde steps. When this happened, we made sure deadbolt was properly applied. At our campground, we found that the MorRyde cross bar was causing the screen door to not close without much force, think that is forcing the solid door to ride on the latch bolts very hard and eventually spring back and the doors open, hitting the grab bar and opening. Sliding the cross bar sideways does not help. We believe we may have caused this by not extending the adjustable legs properly at our last stop and distorting the step assembly. Any insight or suggestions will be much appreciated!
    2020 Solitude 2930RL S-Class

Originally posted by steve gravelle View Post
    On our trip from the Denver area to Dubois, WY, our entry door popped open multiple times. We have a 2020 Solitude S with MorRyde steps. When this happened, we made sure deadbolt was properly applied. At our campground, we found that the MorRyde cross bar was causing the screen door to not close without much force, think that is forcing the solid door to ride on the latch bolts very hard and eventually spring back and the doors open, hitting the grab bar and opening. Sliding the cross bar sideways does not help. We believe we may have caused this by not extending the adjustable legs properly at our last stop and distorting the step assembly. Any insight or suggestions will be much appreciated!
    Extending the Step Above steps is important. FWIW: I’ve discovered that when lowered, if I watch the top horizontal plate on the steps and discover that it is not lying completely flat (no space in between) on top of the aluminum piece (whatever it’s real name is) below it, the door jams up and causes all kinds of other problems.
    Dave and Sue
    2020 GD 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
    Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
    GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
    SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

I'm not an engineer or a skilled RV technician so the technical sophistication of this suggestion may surprise you.

If you think you warped the steps out of alignment by not properly supporting them on one side where they meet the ground, could you not-properly-support them on the OTHER side a bit and see if you can warp them back into alignment?

This advice may be worth as much as you paid for it.

Good luck.
      Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

To check the door latch strike plate to see what is actually going on, paint the strike plate wit some white water based poster paint, let dry, then open and close the door several times. including operating the dead bolt. You should see paint marks of where things are hitting. Be sure to look at the latch and end of dead bolt too. Then adjust the strike plate accordingly.

Hope this helps
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Update on this issue. Because the screen door is being obstructed from completely closing by the crossbar on the steps on the right side, I stepped back and observed that the screen door was off center to the left slightly. I used small sockets to change the angle of the hinges and get the screen door more on center. This did improve the interference issue with the crossbar and improve closing of the screen door. There is a gentleman on site that goes by the name of Koop RV Repair, Gabe. He came to our site and observed our issue. He exposed the assisting cylinders on the lower corner and thought they may be running out of pressure at the end of their travel, causing the step assembly to lean hard on the screen door when it was raised for travel. But Gabe was not confident that he improved our situation and would not charge us. But hopefully we are not going to have the issue as we return to Castle Rock, CO over the next two days, God willing. Stay tuned!

Comment

Thank you for the update.
            Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
            Nash County, NC
            2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Further update. We arrived in Castle Rock, CO Friday evening. The entry door stayed closed the whole journey. Very happy. The screen door rubs moderately on the striker for the main entry door. I believe I can use a file or a punch and hammer to recontour the striker for a smooth and silent closing and opening. I sent an email to Brad Smith detailing our issue. Two days later I received a phone call from Jamie Justice, who Brad directed to call me. He assured me that GDRV would make it right, including sending whatever parts necessary. So we are pretty close to a total solution, and continue to be highly satisfied with great customer service.

Comment

We have been stationary for 5 plus months in Kerrville, TX. Getting ready to leave, still interference between door and step. Will get professional help! Puzzled.

Comment

Working...
                X