Cleaning Matte Black Front of Trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Matte Black Front of Trailer

I have a 2020 Imagine 22RBE XLS Trailer that has a matte black front and the finish is difficult to keep clean. I use a wash and wax, but I still have to scrub and scrub to get the bugs off and no matter what I try I always end up with streaks or swirls on the matte finish. The rest of the RV, with its gloss finish, has no problems.

Any ideas? The right products to use for no streak finish and to make it easier to clean after a trip?

Thanks!

I have no ideas but I hope someone does. I have the same material on the sides skirts or our unit and it too is hard to keep clean. Hopefully someone will help out here.

Welcome and glad that you joined us here.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I have a 2021 2970RL we just finished washing after a trip through North Florida and all the damn 'love bugs'. My solution for getting those and any bug remains off our cars and TT is to use dryer sheets. Wet the surface, wet the dryer sheet (not too much), rub down the area with bugs and then let it sit. There should be a coating from the dryer sheet which is fabric softener on the surface. Let it sit for about a minute and then go back and wipe down with the dryer sheet. Then wash and rinse. Need to wash and rinse because the fabric softener doesn't come off easily with just a rinse.

The fabric softener in the dryer sheet softens the bug crud making it easier to come off. I will say that after our wash of the nose of the trailer I can still see some remnants of the bugs. It may require a buffing to get rid of those shadows. We have a gloss nose cone. Also, you don't need name brand dryer sheets. Just something with fabric softener in it.
      Mike & Lisa
      Central Florida
      2021 Imagine 2970RL
      1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

I Follow the same method that Mike & Lisa do. Those damp dryer sheets work wonders on getting bugs off the RV.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Campersus View Post
          I have a 2020 Imagine 22RBE XLS Trailer that has a matte black front and the finish is difficult to keep clean. I use a wash and wax, but I still have to scrub and scrub to get the bugs off and no matter what I try I always end up with streaks or swirls on the matte finish. The rest of the RV, with its gloss finish, has no problems.

Any ideas? The right products to use for no streak finish and to make it easier to clean after a trip?

Thanks!
          I don't have one (yet), but on both painted surfaces and black plastic mirror caps, etc., I use Chemical Guys Eco-Smart waterless wash with a microfiber towel. I try to remove the majority of the bugs before they are baked on for days. If they do get baked on and it's time for a full blown washing, dryer sheets do work well, but it takes lots of water to wash away the residue.

John in PA

Comment

I know this is going out on a limb but have any of your tried nylons with soapy water to clean the bugs off? Works pretty well.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I have used for many years, Thetford Bug Cleaner. I wet the cap, spray on and lightly scub the bugs off with a soft cloth. Has worked so well, I use this on my vehicles also.
              Steve
              2018 Reflection 303
              2023 F350 Lariat, 4 x 4 CCSB.
              Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Ok, and then what kind of wax do you all use?

Comment

Originally posted by scarfile View Post
                  Ok, and then what kind of wax do you all use?
                  A recent thread with a lot of info: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...g-the-exterior
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

FYI, I found this on Amazon and it works wonders!!! Star brite Ultimate Matte Finish w/PTEF – Cleaner, Detailer & Protectant

Comment

Working...
                    X