Water Under Sub-Floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Under Sub-Floor

We were getting ready to take our 2021 2970RL back to storage and notice water leaking from under the trailer. I found there was water trapped between the underside of the floor and the sheeting between the frame and outside of trailer. It was under the pass through storage door. I've attached a picture as it is hard to explain. It wasn't the coroplast but the 'Tyvek Type' sheeting that is under the front and outside the frame rails.

I had to cut a small hole in the sheeting to drain the water. Then resealed with a piece of duct tape.

We did wash the trailer and did have a couple of days with heavy rain and we did wash the trailer. Has anyone encountered this? When we bring it back home I'm going to inspect all the seams to be sure everything is sealed/caulked. I did check around the pass through door and around the molding above the skirting. But knowing how water travels not sure where it could have come from.

I was also wondering what the bottom of the subfloor is or looks like. Not sure if I need to remove the full sheeting to dry out and replace with something else. But obviously I need to find where the water is getting in or it will continue to repeat the pooling water.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mike - see my response to your other post...

Rob
    Rob & Laura
    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by OurNewEra View Post
      We were getting ready to take our 2021 2970RL back to storage and notice water leaking from under the trailer. I found there was water trapped between the underside of the floor and the sheeting between the frame and outside of trailer. It was under the pass through storage door. I've attached a picture as it is hard to explain. It wasn't the coroplast but the 'Tyvek Type' sheeting that is under the front and outside the frame rails.

I had to cut a small hole in the sheeting to drain the water. Then resealed with a piece of duct tape.

We did wash the trailer and did have a couple of days with heavy rain and we did wash the trailer. Has anyone encountered this? When we bring it back home I'm going to inspect all the seams to be sure everything is sealed/caulked. I did check around the pass through door and around the molding above the skirting. But knowing how water travels not sure where it could have come from.

I was also wondering what the bottom of the subfloor is or looks like. Not sure if I need to remove the full sheeting to dry out and replace with something else. But obviously I need to find where the water is getting in or it will continue to repeat the pooling water.
      I believe your other post asked if the floor is OSB, and I don't know for sure, but my assumption would be yes. In your case, I agree with Second Chance that the material needs to be dried out, and that needs to occur ASAP. Hopefully somebody with experience in this department can weigh in as I have never had to do this myself, but I would be tempted to slice the covering open, front to back, and then at each edge cut from side to side, allowing the cover to open like two opposing doors. Leave enough material on the sides to allow you to patch everything back together with the appropriate tape. I would also suggest getting a moisture meter to measure the water content, allowing you to ensure its completely dry before closing it all back up.

In terms of where it's coming from, like you said water can travel so it's anyone's guess, but I would exercise a little Occam's Razor and start by looking at the cargo doors.

Hope that helps and let us know what you find out!
      2019 Imagine 2400BH
      2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Thanks StephenO for the suggestion on cutting the sheeting. That is the help I was looking for. Once it dries out I can easily seal the cuts with some good tape.

I have a 1962 Airstream Safari so I am well versed on water intrusion. My guess on this is that the are where there was water was bordered by frame members. So they would have been pinching the sheeting between the sub-floor and frame. My first place for inspection is a lap joint on the aluminum skirting. You can kind of see it in the photo I provided. I am then going to inspect the baggage door and any other penetrations in that area. This lap joint has no sealant. I need to see how far up it goes and how the trim strip between the skirt and exterior wall are made.

The hunt begins!
        Mike & Lisa
        Central Florida
        2021 Imagine 2970RL

Comment

Originally posted by OurNewEra View Post
          Thanks StephenO for the suggestion on cutting the sheeting. That is the help I was looking for. Once it dries out I can easily seal the cuts with some good tape.

I have a 1962 Airstream Safari so I am well versed on water intrusion. My guess on this is that the are where there was water was bordered by frame members. So they would have been pinching the sheeting between the sub-floor and frame. My first place for inspection is a lap joint on the aluminum skirting. You can kind of see it in the photo I provided. I am then going to inspect the baggage door and any other penetrations in that area. This lap joint has no sealant. I need to see how far up it goes and how the trim strip between the skirt and exterior wall are made.

The hunt begins!
          I can't find the pictures of my baggage door, but the screws were driven so far into the thin metal that they tore the material and created a path for water to drain from the "well" of the door frame. The fix was easy--remove the screws, squirt some silicone into the screw holes (and dip the screws in silicone) then reinstall until the screw was flush with the frame.

I can't say for sure that is causing the issue you're seeing, but as you stated it is definitely one thing to check.

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I can't find the pictures of my baggage door, but the screws were driven so far into the thin metal that they tore the material and created a path for water to drain from the "well" of the door frame. The fix was easy--remove the screws, squirt some silicone into the screw holes (and dip the screws in silicone) then reinstall until the screw was flush with the frame.

I can't say for sure that is causing the issue you're seeing, but as you stated it is definitely one thing to check.

Howard
            Went out to the trailer today to start the hunt for my point of entry for the leak. I think howson nailed it! The first place I looked was at the baggage door frame. I've included some pictures. The screw to the right of the latch catch was put in at a sever angle and was not tight. DEFINATELY a point of entry! The other screws were a little better but not much. You can also see in the photos the water stains from where water pooled around the screws. They will all be coming out, filled with silicone and them put back in.

I have noticed a common theme of screws being put in at an angle and not perpendicular to the surface. Noticed it on the shower frame. I realize it is a production environment but a little more care, especially on the exterior where water can get in would be appreciated. Cheaper to do it right than to have to repair water damage under warranty.

So these screws combined with a couple of days of Florida wind driven rain is the cause of my sub-floor water. I am hoping. I'm very confident. There was a small void under the baggage door trim that I will be sealing and I will be sealing in the lap joint on the aluminum skirting. I know how water can wick and run uphill if it wants to so I'm covering all my bases.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2020-10-05_12-43-34.jpg Views:	10 Size:	150.0 KB ID:	31283

Click image for larger version  Name:	2020-10-05_12-44-24.jpg Views:	10 Size:	93.4 KB ID:	31282
            Attached Files
            Last edited by OurNewEra; 10-05-2020, 02:12 PM.
            Mike & Lisa
            Central Florida
            2021 Imagine 2970RL

Comment

Working...
            X