Maintenance schedule for axle and bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maintenance schedule for axle and bearings

Looking for some thoughts on when I need to get my axle, brakes, and bearings checked. I have a 2020 Reflection 303RLS, 11 months old and just crossed finished the first 5000 miles. I have seen somewhere that this should be done at 5000 miles. Dexter axle seems to indicated 12 months or 12,000 miles. Thoughts? Also, since every RV shop is inundated with RVs now that the masses hav caught on to the joy of RV, any thoughts on using a regular trailer shop to get this work done? I don’t have the faintest idea for how or what to do.
    2020 303RLS - RAM 2500 Diesel - Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    Full timing

I inspect my brakes on an annual basis. While I have the hubs pulled, I clean, inspect and repack the bearings. Any mechanic should be able to perform this basic maintenance whether the are an RV dealership or an automotive mechanic.

It's a shame you aren't near Tucson. We could knock it out in half a day and I could teach you how to do it in the future.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by FindingMyPlace View Post
      Looking for some thoughts on when I need to get my axle, brakes, and bearings checked. I have a 2020 Reflection 303RLS, 11 months old and just crossed finished the first 5000 miles. I have seen somewhere that this should be done at 5000 miles. Dexter axle seems to indicated 12 months or 12,000 miles. Thoughts? Also, since every RV shop is inundated with RVs now that the masses hav caught on to the joy of RV, any thoughts on using a regular trailer shop to get this work done? I don’t have the faintest idea for how or what to do.

I usually go once a year, and I average 10-15,000 miles a year. I keep and eye on my temperatures and as long as they’re consistent I don’t work about repacking them until the year is up. It’s pretty straightforward if messy to do yourself, lots of YouTube videos on it. Otherwise as you suggested, no problem with a regular trailer shop, I’d probably trust them to do it right more than a dealer anyway.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
        I inspect my brakes on an annual basis. While I have the hubs pulled, I clean, inspect and repack the bearings. Any mechanic should be able to perform this basic maintenance whether the are an RV dealership or an automotive mechanic.

It's a shame you aren't near Tucson. We could knock it out in half a day and I could teach you how to do it in the future.

Jim
        If Flagstaff was just a little closer to you I might have taken you up on that offer Jim. Thanks for the guidance and quick response!
        Full timing

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

I usually go once a year, and I average 10-15,000 miles a year. I keep and eye on my temperatures and as long as they’re consistent I don’t work about repacking them until the year is up. It’s pretty straightforward if messy to do yourself, lots of YouTube videos on it. Otherwise as you suggested, no problem with a regular trailer shop, I’d probably trust them to do it right more than a dealer anyway.
          Thanks Neil for the mileage averages and the suggestion on temp. Is there a specific temp or average temp they would run at or is it just a case of looking at the 4 hubs and seeing if any one of them is running hotter than the other?
          Full timing

Comment

Thanks Neil for the mileage averages and the suggestion on temp. Is there a specific temp or average temp they would run at or is it just a case of looking at the 4 hubs and seeing if any one of them is running hotter than the other?
            You just want them to track together on the same side. One side will be a bit hotter than the other due to the location of the sun etc. I keep a cheap IR gun in the rig and check them when I walk around at a fuel stop.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

You just want them to track together on the same side. One side will be a bit hotter than the other due to the location of the sun etc. I keep a cheap IR gun in the rig and check them when I walk around at a fuel stop.
              Can you share a link to the IR thermometer or is any one on amazon good enough?
              Full timing

Comment

Can you share a link to the IR thermometer or is any one on amazon good enough?
                Anything should be fine. I got this one cause it’s what they had in stock at the store.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-8-...R002/205509667

Neil Citro

Comment

Working...
                X