Installing 6" carrier tube under 220RK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing 6" carrier tube under 220RK

Well folks - got started today installing my 6" carrier tube. The kit comes with the tube ends and hanging hardware, but you need to get the 6: sch 40 pipe. The 6"SCH 40 is critical otherwise the ends will not fit. Be sure to take an end cap with you to be sure when buying the pipe. Mine is 180 PSI water pipe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0136.JPG
Views:	717
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	3126
    Kit I bought on Amazon

In trying to find a place to mount it the only clear place was under the receiver hitch tube. Every where else had gas lines or other stuff in the way. In looking at it I determined I could replace the existing 1/2" by 1 and 1/2' bolts with 2" long bolts and add a mounting plate. The mounting plate is a piece of 3 1/2" angle iron and is a perfect fit to have the mounting surface flush with bottom of hitch tube. I got 2 pieces 11" long from a local supplier. Its 1/4 in thick stock. The bolt holes are 1/2" and 8" on center 1 inch up from the edge to have it fit flush.

Name:	IMG_0171.JPG
Views:	697
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	3127

Before removing the existing mounting bolts place a jack under the receiver hitch frame. Then remove the 1/2" grade 5 bolts (I had to use a breaker bar to get them to budge) I replace the existing bolts with 2" long grade 8. Then install the mounting angle iron and tube hangers.

Name:	IMG_0166.JPG
Views:	728
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	3128

Once both sides are complete slide the tub in place.

Name:	IMG_0181.JPG
Views:	751
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	3129

This is where I stopped for the day. I got my pipe 8.5 feet long so I could trim to fit, but I need to know my ladder dimensions first.

Ill cover installing the end caps a bit later.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Well I finished up today installing the end caps and trimming to length. I maxed the length by having the face of the cap flush with the trailer wall, I also had to decide which end to have the door. I ended up curb side so should the door open the wind would keep is closed. I drilled 4 holes in the caps per the instructions and used 4 #10 by 3/4" SS sheet metal screws to secure to the pipe. On the door end I trimmed off the screw points inside the tube to prevent cutting my hand when reaching in then used my dremmel tool to sand smooth. Now to get the ladder ordered.

Name:	IMG_0148s.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	3171Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0149s.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	3172Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0151s.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	3173
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

• howson
      howson commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks good! I still have mine temp-installed so I'm going to "steal" what you've done here to complete my ladder holder. Really appreciate the documentation.

• Yoda
      Yoda commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad to help
      If you end up with any questions - just ask

Nice job! I used the 5” fence post method for my ladder. Your install looks much cleaner. I’m always amazed at the great ideas other people come up with. Thanks for posting.
    Vince and Peg with Kennedy (Bernese Mountain Dog)
    2018 Imagine 2600 RB
    2017 Chevy Suburban Premier edition w/max tow package

Comment

• Yoda
      Yoda commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks

Now to find a small weatherproof (enclosed) combination lock, or if that fails a fully covered key lock. It will be exposed to all the tire grim so need something covered

That might drag the ground and break. I had a fold down bike rack on a Columbus RV that would drag the ground when going from the road through the low spots to get to gas stations and such.
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer

2016 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

2017 F150
    2020 F350 6.7 PSD

Comment

Originally posted by johndeerefarmer View Post
      That might drag the ground and break. I had a fold down bike rack on a Columbus RV that would drag the ground when going from the road through the low spots to get to gas stations and such.
      Funny you should post this--I literally just had to remove my "temp" install because it caught on something. It is a nice install (@Yoda) but for those with long trailers (like my 315RLTS) I do not advise putting anything under the rear of the camper. Side note--thankfully my ladder didn't take any damage, but the carrier tube was trashed!
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

With as short as my 5er is I don't think there is an issue, unless I back into one of those boulders the National parks use at the end of the parking spots
        I guess time will tell. And if I do mess it up it is a pretty easy fix.

Question - the tube is a little over a foot longer than my ladder. I don't want the ladder sliding back and forth hitting the end caps. I was thinking of putting in foam spacers, I have both soft and ridged foam available. Is one better over the other?
        Thanks

Comment

I would try to cut a round piece of wood to use along with the soft foam. Both of the foams would probably break down of time if the ladder is sliding back and forth a lot. The wood may not even need to be round just a piece long enough to take up the slack.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Not sure what you paid for the kit but if it was mine I would make some kind of bumper below the pvc so that if you do hit it will hit that. How much clearance between the bottom of the PVC and the ground?

It's not level ground that you have to worry about it's the steep drainage type ditches that you have to drive through to get to gas stations, etc..........
            Donald AKA johndeerefarmer

2016 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

2017 F150
            2020 F350 6.7 PSD

Comment

Thanks for the tips for taking up the extra space. I like the wood block and foam as I can attach a string to the wood block for removal if ever needed. I also measured my clearance. Its at least 16". I have the trailer nose high right now.

Comment

Working...
              X