Possible leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible leak?

We have a 2019 Reflection 28bh. The black plastic corner trim piece on the bottom corner of the front cap seems to have a weep hole in it. I am seeing water drip from the hole and wondering if this is normal or an indicator that I have a leak in the top front cap joint seal.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Todd Ford View Post
    We have a 2019 Reflection 28bh. The black plastic corner trim piece on the bottom corner of the front cap seems to have a weep hole in it. I am seeing water drip from the hole and wondering if this is normal or an indicator that I have a leak in the top front cap joint seal.
    I would definitely check the roof seal at the cap. Also check the sides at the end of the gutter and the whole way down the cap along the side. There are plenty of places there that may have a leak. The silicone that is used on the edges is hard to tell if has a good seal so you have to look close. Also if you have traveled in the rain it is possible for spray to get up under the over hang where the pin box attaches to the frame.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

I would definitely check the roof seal at the cap. Also check the sides at the end of the gutter and the whole way down the cap along the side. There are plenty of places there that may have a leak. The silicone that is used on the edges is hard to tell if has a good seal so you have to look close. Also if you have traveled in the rain it is possible for spray to get up under the over hang where the pin box attaches to the frame.

Brian
      The factory sealant was not what I would call “done well”. There is a lot of dirt and pine straw stuck in it so it looks like it wasn’t cured at all before being expose to the elements.

I’ve ordered Alpha self leveling and non-level sealant for TPO material for the top and perimeter joints and will remove all of the old stuff before resealing. I will also remove the old stuff at all roof penetrations and reseal.

I will eventually remove all of the silicone on the side seals, windows, doors and hatches and wipe down with acetone and denatured alcohol before resealing with either geocell proflex ot sikaflex for a better long term seal.

Comment

For anyone else that has noticed the water dripping from the weep hole in this lower corner trim on the front cap. I talked to a Grand Design tech this morning and was told that this is not a problem. It is designed this way to let out any water/condensation that has collected/formed in behind the screw cover on the front cap side trim. Glad I called Grand Design.

Comment

For anyone else that has noticed the water dripping from the weep hole in this lower corner trim on the front cap. I talked to a Grand Design tech this morning and was told that this is not a problem. It is designed this way to let out any water/condensation that has collected/formed in behind the screw cover on the front cap side trim. Glad I called Grand Design.
          Thanks for the update Todd. This makes perfect sense and now we'll know the answer for anyone in the future.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

We had this issue our first winter in our Reflection 337. I freaked out thinking it was a leak in the water lines to the W/D prep in the front closet. GD techs - and more experienced folks than I was at the time - were able to explain the condensation thing to me and calm me down.

Rob
            Rob & Laura
            U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
            2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
            2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
            (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
            Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Working...
            X