Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spot Cleaning roof before aplying sealant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spot Cleaning roof before aplying sealant?

I want to do a bit of sealing in various spots on my TPO roof. I don't want to clean the whole thing (later project). Just a few small areas. Would denatured alcohol be ok? want something clean and fast drying so I can caulk right after cleaning? I want to be up there as little time as possible.

Thanks
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
    I want to do a bit of sealing in various spots on my TPO roof. I don't want to clean the whole thing (later project). Just a few small areas. Would denatured alcohol be ok? want something clean and fast drying so I can caulk right after cleaning? I want to be up there as little time as possible.

Thanks
    Keith
    Periodic cleaning (three to four times per year) is the primary maintenance required. Alpha Systems recommends using a non-abrasive household cleaner, such as Dawn dish soap or SpicN-Span, and a medium-bristled scrub brush. Do not use any harsh or highly-abrasive products during routine cleaning. When finished cleaning, remember to thoroughly rinse the roof and sidewalls in order to remove any soap residue and to prevent streaking.

From Alpha's document as posted by Jim here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...stems-tpo-roof
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Periodic cleaning (three to four times per year) is the primary maintenance required. Alpha Systems recommends using a non-abrasive household cleaner, such as Dawn dish soap or SpicN-Span, and a medium-bristled scrub brush. Do not use any harsh or highly-abrasive products during routine cleaning. When finished cleaning, remember to thoroughly rinse the roof and sidewalls in order to remove any soap residue and to prevent streaking.

From Alpha's document as posted by Jim here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...stems-tpo-roof
      Yep I understand that. I just have a few small cracks in the existing self leveling sealant I want to touch up and don't want to trap water in the crack. I want to be able to quickly clean spot areas say 3" by 3", to add sealant before doing the Dawn washing. We are expecting freezing temps in a few days and I don't think that will be time for a full water bath to dry in the cracks. Just want a quick clean surface to get a good bond to.
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

How about using your regular cleaning materials, rinsing thoroughly and then using a heat gun/hair drier to speed up the drying process? Otherwise, you probably want to look for something that doesn't leave a residue behind (white vinegar, for example) and plenty of clean rags.
        John
        2018 Momentum 395M
        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Use the denatured alcohol
          2018 Reflection 315RLTS
          2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Comment

I wrote Alpha a couple years ago and inquired in what to use to clean the surface to re-seal and believe it or not they recommended mineral spirits quickly followed by dawn dish soap and water. The area I was working on was where the gutter meets the TPO roof. This process did make the roof area as clean as new and the Alpha sealant bonded very well.

Jim

Comment

The denatured alcohol worked well with no signs of melting anything. I also used a knife ti carefully trim unbound areas and edges to give a smooth surface. I found one spot near the cap where there was a big blob of old sealant. For some reason it had not adhered to the roof. I pealed back about 2 inches easily, almost to the cap seam. I cleaned and trimmed that area carefully. It was the only real bad spot on the whole roof

Comment

The denatured alcohol worked well with no signs of melting anything. I also used a knife ti carefully trim unbound areas and edges to give a smooth surface. I found one spot near the cap where there was a big blob of old sealant. For some reason it had not adhered to the roof. I pealed back about 2 inches easily, almost to the cap seam. I cleaned and trimmed that area carefully. It was the only real bad spot on the whole roof
                I debated about starting a new thread, but my question is related to the work you just did, so I'll ask it here. Hopefully that's okay . Anyways, I noticed one 'air pocket' in one of the seams of lap sealant, essentially a bubble in the sealant. Is the correct approach for that situation to cut out the bubble / open it up and put new sealant over that? IE cut out the bubble down to good sealant underneath, or down to the roof if required, and reseal? Thanks all!
                2019 Imagine 2400BH
                2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

The problem with air bubbles in sealant, StephenO is that eventually the skin over the top will break and they then become a repository to hold water. I would certainly open it up and fill in any low spot to provide for proper drainage.
                  John
                  2018 Momentum 395M
                  2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                  Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post

I debated about starting a new thread, but my question is related to the work you just did, so I'll ask it here. Hopefully that's okay . Anyways, I noticed one 'air pocket' in one of the seams of lap sealant, essentially a bubble in the sealant. Is the correct approach for that situation to cut out the bubble / open it up and put new sealant over that? IE cut out the bubble down to good sealant underneath, or down to the roof if required, and reseal? Thanks all!
                    I cut the bubble open then used my fingers to peal back the sealant. That way I knew where I had a good bond, I then filled the hole and overlapped the edges, I cleaned the area before doing this.

Comment

I cut the bubble open then used my fingers to peal back the sealant. That way I knew where I had a good bond, I then filled the hole and overlapped the edges, I cleaned the area before doing this.
                      Awesome, thanks for the information Yoda and JBill9694
                      2019 Imagine 2400BH
                      2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

One more followup Guest , Did you use self leveling or non-self leveling where the roof meets the gutter? I just inspected my roof today, and I have a few area's that I think need to be touched up.

So much for the dealer telling me the sealed the roof.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-10-27 11_49_26-Photo - Google Photos.png
Views:	1150
Size:	491.1 KB
ID:	32967
                        Last edited by mpking; 10-27-2020, 10:50 AM.
                        Mike
                        2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post
                          One more followup Guest , Did you use self leveling or non-self leveling where the roof meets the gutter? I just inspected my roof today, and I have a few area's that I think need to be touched up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2020-10-27 11_49_26-Photo - Google Photos.png Views:	0 Size:	491.1 KB ID:	32967
                          Mike,

I used the non-self leveling for the gutter. The self leveling IMO should be used only on horizontal surfaces. You picture shows this area is completely unprotected. Sad a dealer told you this was sealed.

There are a few brand names of the Alpha sealant where I used the Alpha N1010 for this area. RecPro Alpha and Superflex are other re-branded Alpha products.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post

Click image for larger version  Name:	2020-10-27 11_49_26-Photo - Google Photos.png Views:	0 Size:	491.1 KB ID:	32967
                            Is that a screw hole in the top of the trim. Wondering what it is doing there. All the screws should be under the plastic trim cap? I agree non self leveling for this area

On edit - it looks like a gap in the aluminum track where they did not butt together. I would pull the plastic trim out and inspect under. Check for water intrusion along a few screws.The entire gap should be filled through the track.

Comment

Working...
                            X