Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bicycle Rack on Rear Bumper

Hello. I'm brand new to the forum.
    Have just placed a down payment on an Imagine XlS 22MLE. Expected delivery in 12 weeks (maybe). My question is regarding adding a bike rack to the rear bumper. The sales rep I worked with said the stock 4 inch box tube bumper is rated for 150lbs. We have 2 E-bikes weighing 60 lbs each and with rack I would estimate I'm close to 150lbs. However when reviewing the owners manual it recommends no additional weight on the bumper other than the existing spare tire arrangement. I would remove the spare tire arrangement. So, basically the sales rep is contradicting the manual. Does anyone have any experience in this matter? Have you added racks to the rear bumper? If so, does it effect the towing? The rep did say, to store a similar weight forward in the trailer or cargo area.

Thanks Jake

Jake
    Hi Jake. Welcome to our owners technical forum!

I am not familiar with the OEM spare tire attachment to the rear bumper on an Imagine, but many bike rack installation instructions specifically say "not to be used on the back of a trailer". There is a lot of motion at the back of an RV trailer caused by road input. There are a number of regular contributors to this forum who have Imagines . . . I'm sure that they will be along shortly with first-hand advice.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Even if removing the spare tire and bracket, installing bikes on the light weight bumper of an imagine would be risky. Clearance between the bikes and the rear wall would need to be increased over the spare tire bracket where additional torque would be applied to the bumper.

The Jack It bike rack is the best way to do this. Or just lay them down in the back of the truck and protect them with moving blankets. I can take some detailed pics of the tire rack for you tomorrow when I return home.

https://parts.unitedrv.com/products/...7C%20%24149.99

Jim
      Last edited by Guest; 10-11-2020, 04:23 PM.

Comment

I would not be worried about the towing. I would worry about your expensive e-bikes falling off as they rip your bumper from the TT. I have never seen bumper mounted bikes end well, let alone heavier e-bikes. I'm not a fan of mounting anything on the back of my TT because if I can't see it I don't know what is going on with it.

There are so many more forces on that rack when traveling that start rotating that square tube and eventually will start to separate from the frame. The physics are not in your favor.
        Mike & Lisa
        Central Florida
        2021 Imagine 2970RL
        1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Thanks Rob, Jim, and Mike

Admittingly I suspected this outcome from your input and insight. I'll go with another method, its likely not worth the risk or anxiety. Thanks again.

Comment

Jake ,

Not to disparage the dealer you were speaking with, but in general, Sales people are not technical, and what they said doesn't really count.

There are a million photo's on the internet, but this one get's the point across very well. The thin wall tubing isn't meant for that kind of weight / force on a bad bounce.

If you want to mount on the back, the safest way is to add a receiver hitch that is tied into the frame. Like this:

Or use one of the other mounting methods. (On the A frame over the tongue, In your Tow vehicle, or on top of your tow vehicle.)
            Mike
            2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

[QUOTE=mpking;n31795]Jake ,

Not to disparage the dealer you were speaking with, but in general, Sales people are not technical, and what they said doesn't really count.

There are a million photo's on the internet, but this one get's the point across very well. The thin wall tubing isn't meant for that kind of weight / force on a bad bounce.

My next door neighbor's bumper now looks like this. They went on a longer trip with a couple of kids bikes and maybe one adult bike, it cracked the weld. They noticed it before their next trip (short, like 30 miles) and figured it'd be ok for their kids' bikes. Like I said, it now looks like this.

My guess is that if the dealer said it can handle 150lbs, they may have seen where it can "hold" 150 lbs. It'd be calculated as a vertical force. Hanging these bike racks is a torqueing (not to be confused with twerking.. ) force. A spare tire is held close, making the load nearly vertical, but the leverage on those bike racks is incredible.
              2021 Imagine 2970RL
              2021 F-250 (7.3L Godzilla V8)

Comment

We too have an 22MLE just delivered- several things from the factory came broken, not the point here- but makes me worry about GD quality/and dealer prep.... anyway, bike racks- I was about to pull the spare off and put a bike rack on the bumper- this has solidified my decision as bad.... okay, won't do it. BUT we put a canoe on the truck, so a Jack-it isn't a great solution either. And the bikes take up precious space in the truck bed. Looks like I'm back to square one. :(

Comment

Originally posted by SnelCal View Post
                  We too have an 22MLE just delivered- several things from the factory came broken, not the point here- but makes me worry about GD quality/and dealer prep.... anyway, bike racks- I was about to pull the spare off and put a bike rack on the bumper- this has solidified my decision as bad.... okay, won't do it. BUT we put a canoe on the truck, so a Jack-it isn't a great solution either. And the bikes take up precious space in the truck bed. Looks like I'm back to square one. :(
                  Welcome to the forum--and I'm glad the information here has helped guide a (IMO) wise decision! (When you get a chance, please read the welcome letter: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members)

What kind of truck do you have? I added a front hitch to my Ford for a two-position bike rack. The only downside is the adaptive cruise won't work on the truck with the sensor blocked in this configuration.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1014 (Large).JPG
Views:	2525
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	31827
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

We have a F-150 Larriet with tow package. (I have read the "welcome to" - I was going to do a search of the exterior forum, but found this thread in the "why don't you search" - Looked briefly for front monnted hitch receivers- see lots of pictures, not so many actual products. I'm not too turned off by losing adaptive cruise control - though, seems like a little work one might be able to get bikes out of the way - thouogh, I'm sure you've tried. Thanks for the direction. I'm on it.

Comment

Well I guess the saying "A picture is worth a thousand words" is applicable once again. Got a few months to mull this over, but definitely not going to use the bumper. The bikes are quite heavy to easily lift in and out of the truck bed but may be the best overall option.

Thanks for the pictures and feedback. I think I'm going to enjoy this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Welcome to the forum--and I'm glad the information here has helped guide a (IMO) wise decision! (When you get a chance, please read the welcome letter: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members)

What kind of truck do you have? I added a front hitch to my Ford for a two-position bike rack. The only downside is the adaptive cruise won't work on the truck with the sensor blocked in this configuration.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1014 (Large).JPG
Views:	2525
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	31827
                        As a comment to this, in California, the CHP could ticket this front mounted bike holder due to blocking too much of the headlights. Same goes if you block the tail lights. Been stopped with a warning.
                        Tony G
                        2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Highcountry
                        2016 Grand Designs Reflection 303RLS
                        KTM 250XC

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
                          Well I guess the saying "A picture is worth a thousand words" is applicable once again. Got a few months to mull this over, but definitely not going to use the bumper. The bikes are quite heavy to easily lift in and out of the truck bed but may be the best overall option.

Thanks for the pictures and feedback. I think I'm going to enjoy this forum.
                          My GD Reflection 303RLS came with a 2" rear receiver on the back, which would be ideal for a bicycle rack (assuming the bikes do not block the tail lights). But this forum is spot on. Those trailer bumpers have very little structural strength. The one I had on my motorhome fractured from just the weight of the spare tire. I ended up welding additional steel on it to strengthen it.

I wanted to carry my dirt bike on the back of my trailer. That is significantly heavier, and also would tend to rock back and forth left to right while driving. My solution was to remove the trailer hitch, which was bolted to the frame on both sides, and add two receivers, bolting one on each frame member on the right and left. Then I modified a motorcycle holder from the center 2" mount to two 2" mounts on left and right. Mounted a ramp between the two to hold the bike. No more rocking, and very little movement front to back when tied down. I also added a couple of trailer lights to the rack and plug them into the trailer light receptacle so I have taillights on my rack that are unobstructed. Food for thought.
                          Tony G
                          2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Highcountry
                          2016 Grand Designs Reflection 303RLS
                          KTM 250XC

Comment

My recommendation is a big NO. There are a number front bike racks that are designed specifically to fit over/around the front hitch area and those owners seem to be happy with that arrangement. Do a YouTube search and you’ll surly find one.
                            Dave and Sue
                            2020 GD 2250RK
                            2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
                            Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
                            GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
                            SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

This conversation is exactly why I read the forum a couple of evenings each week! Lots of good information and it will be a factor in whether I actually purchase one of those racks that would fit into the receiver hitch on the back of our 3740BH. Have been weighing the pros & cons of doing this for some of our outdoor gear that doesn't weigh much but is bulky.
                              All the things discussed here have been in my thoughts - it's at the end of a multiple set of pivot points so could see some "interesting" forces when hitting those less than perfect roadway areas, not being able to see how things were riding is another.
                              The lighting part I think could be handled fairly easily with one of the many lightbar accessories for pickups that would plug into the flat-four adapter that is part of the factory hitch unit.... but don't think I'll ever convince my wife to ride in the trailer so she can keep an eye things for me......
                              Chris
                              2019 Solitude 3740BH
                              2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

Comment

Working...
                              X