No announcement yet.

Bicycle Rack on Rear Bumper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll have to go back this evening to read the other posts where the bumper separation did catch my attention. Tells the entire story.

Here is the pick of the Imagine 2600RB spare tire and bracket as promised.

Jim Click image for larger version

Name:	2017 2600RB Spare Tire and Bracket.jpg
Views:	995
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	31951

Comment

Guest , I think you promised a picture of the Jack-it bike carrier, not your spare tire.
      Mike
      2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post
        Guest , I think you promised a picture of the Jack-it bike carrier, not your spare tire.
        Just Google it. It basically holds two bicycles above your propane tanks. I've seen one in person and it looked very sturdy. It also keeps your weight above the tongue where there is not as much leverage compared to the bumper.

Charles and Susan
        2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
        Andersen Hitch
        2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post
          I promised a pic of my tire rack. Maybe I misunderstood where the OP had not received his rig to date and needed a pic.

But here is a link to the Jack-It bike rack.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE

Jim
          Last edited by Guest; 10-14-2020, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

I promised a pic of my tire rack. Maybe I misunderstood where the OP had not received his rig to date and needed a pic.

But here is a link to the Jack-It bike rack.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE

Jim
            My good friends Chuck and Marquee use the Jack-it bike rack on their Imagine. The mount two pretty heavy beach cruiser style bikes on it and it's held up well over the last couple of years. I also saw a guy modify the jack-it and mounted a satellite TV antenna on it.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I'm glad I read these comments prior to purchasing a rear bumper mounted bike rack for my 2021 GD Imagine ! The real question in my mind is why doesn't GD modify the bumper structural design to adequately transfer the bike rack loads into the frame of the travel trailer (TT)? It's an easy mechanical engineering fix and despite the cost of the TT would go up a few bucks, the ability for RV'ers to easily store their bikes for a camping vacation would be (1) huge, (2) easily worth the cost that most customers would gladly pay, and (3) exactly what the TT RV community is looking for ! It would also be great if GD developed a bumper receiver kit that tied directly into the frame of existing TT's to accommodate a bike rack that could be easily installed. This all would be a win-win for everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Hinkle View Post
                I'm glad I read these comments prior to purchasing a rear bumper mounted bike rack for my 2021 GD Imagine ! The real question in my mind is why doesn't GD modify the bumper structural design to adequately transfer the bike rack loads into the frame of the travel trailer (TT)? It's an easy mechanical engineering fix and despite the cost of the TT would go up a few bucks, the ability for RV'ers to easily store their bikes for a camping vacation would be (1) huge, (2) easily worth the cost that most customers would gladly pay, and (3) exactly what the TT RV community is looking for ! It would also be great if GD developed a bumper receiver kit that tied directly into the frame of existing TT's to accommodate a bike rack that could be easily installed. This all would be a win-win for everyone!
                Excellent question.
                Dave and Sue
                2020 GD 2250RK
                2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
                Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
                GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
                SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Ken Hinkle Carrying bicycle's can be challenging for many reasons. What we found, at considerable expense, was without a great cover during extended travel, the dust and grit that swirls around the rear of the unit does a real number on the gears and chain, not to mention what gets in to the lever pivots and brakes. I would think that the forward mounted racks would reduce this issue considerably. At this point we simply toss the bikes in the bed of the truck when they come with us as there is nothing else in there.

Dave
                  flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

It may not seem like much at first glance but aside from the obstruction to the headlights those bikes are blocking a large portion of the grille area and or disrupting the airflow in other areas. The truck builders have made big strides in providing adequate cooling on trucks that tow by increasing grill and cooling system size. The only thing I would put on the front of my truck when towing is wax.
                    2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Welcome to the forum--and I'm glad the information here has helped guide a (IMO) wise decision! (When you get a chance, please read the welcome letter: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members)

What kind of truck do you have? I added a front hitch to my Ford for a two-position bike rack. The only downside is the adaptive cruise won't work on the truck with the sensor blocked in this configuration.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1014 (Large).JPG
Views:	2525
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	31827
                      Howard - I was just going to make a post to see if anyone had done a tow vehicle front hitch for a bike rack. I forgot you had already done this. I was going to use a LCI Jack-It bike rack, but it's only rated for 80 pounds total. Our two bikes weigh about 85 pounds, so I don't want to push it.

We have an exceptional quality Kuat NV 2.0 bike rack that we use around town, but it's not rated for RV use. I don't want to purchase an RV rated bike rack and have the constant concern about a failure on the back of the trailer. I can pick up a front receiver for my 2016 F350 for about $175. The receiver is rated for 500# of weight, so that shouldn't be an issue at all. Our bike rack weighs 55 pounds, Ginnie's e-bike is 58 pounds, and my bicycle is 27 pounds.

My primary concern is three fold. 1. Do the bikes restrict your visibility so much that you feel it's unsafe? 2. Has a law enforcement officer ever expressed concern. 3. I assume it has no impact on engine cooling efficiency, correct?

Thanks much,

Jim
                      Jim and Ginnie
                      2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

I don't know if this is even helpful at this point.....but

If you have a bumper pull.......With our setup I can get 5 bikes in the bed of the truck, plus extra stuff like a slim bed toolbox, extra propane (two 20#), firewood, skateboard, roller skates, small grill, extra diesel (10 gallons), extra DEF, and our "stink box" (black tank dumping accessories). It's a homemade job and does take some time to get the bikes in and out, but works well for our family. This is really the only picture I have of the setup.

Name:	bike rack.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	93701
                        Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

acoleman43 That would be perfect. Unfortunately, my bed has a cap on it. That's where I keep my outboard motor, fire pit, generators, water containers, etc. I just need a 14 foot bed!

Jim
                          Jim and Ginnie
                          2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                            acoleman43 That would be perfect. Unfortunately, my bed has a cap on it. That's where I keep my outboard motor, fire pit, generators, water containers, etc. I just need a 14 foot bed!

Jim
                            Lol...stretch the frame and bed, then drop the truck to the ground.

Name:	stretched.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	93705
                            Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

truck cap bike rack

What about something like this?

Other than that what about over the propane tanks:
                              Futura GP RV Bike Rack for Travel Trailer Tongue A-Frame Bike Rack Bike Hitch Mount Rack (2-Inch Reicever)
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Wow Joseph! That one on top of the truck bed has real possibilities! Over the propane tanks would be tough. Ginnie's bike is near 60 pounds, and lifting it up there would be tough. Even though the truck bed is high, I could use the boat hoist to assist in the lift.

Jim
                                Jim and Ginnie
                                2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Working...
                                X