2018 Imagine 2800BH Wall delamination screws falling off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Imagine 2800BH Wall delamination screws falling off

Alright guys so unfortunately i have instead of a positive post its negative, i bought my 2800 Sep, 2017 (2018 model), i was winterizing my rv and noticed my wall had a what looked like a void when i went to look at it i noticed that it was no small void, the thing started at the roof and went to the bottom of the wall about 1 foot towards the back of the rv starting at the slide. This void is next to the slide, i also have a small one next to kitchen vent. I inspect my rv every year top to bottom i even eternabond the entire roof, i dont understand that after 3 years these rv walls can come apart this easy.

Well long story short my claim was denied, so be careful guys, apparently we need to check them with a magnifier glass.

One more thing guys, check where your slide meets the wall, inside there are these L brackets, push on them mine fell off, the purpose of these brackets is to help hold your slide against the rv wall

thank you for reading guy have a wonderful day.

Originally posted by milton1979 View Post
    Alright guys so unfortunately i have instead of a positive post its negative, i bought my 2800 Sep, 2017 (2018 model), i was winterizing my rv and noticed my wall had a what looked like a void when i went to look at it i noticed that it was no small void, the thing started at the roof and went to the bottom of the wall about 1 foot towards the back of the rv starting at the slide. This void is next to the slide, i also have a small one next to kitchen vent. I inspect my rv every year top to bottom i even eternabond the entire roof, i dont understand that after 3 years these rv walls can come apart this easy.

Well long story short my claim was denied, so be careful guys, apparently we need to check them with a magnifier glass.

One more thing guys, check where your slide meets the wall, inside there are these L brackets, push on them mine fell off, the purpose of these brackets is to help hold your slide against the rv wall

thank you for reading guy have a wonderful day.
    I see this is your first post, so please understand I am not an expert on this topic. With that said I believe what you're seeing is delamination. The glue between the foam and laminate board is separating.

Hopefully an owner with experience will chime in as I believe the process to fix it is to "drill" a hole from the outslde into the gap and squirt in the appropriate glue. Then the layers must be clamped or held together so it bonds and holds.

The picture below is a round cutout from my trailer when I installed a dryer vent. It gives a good visual of how the wall is constructed (minus the aluminum "studs", obviously).

I realize what you wanted was for GD to fix this...and if in your place that is what I'd want done, too. Please follow up and let the forum know how this is ultimately resolved.

Howard

Click image for larger version

Name:	here.JPG
Views:	954
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	32044
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

When I replaced a broken range vent I found the material in the opening to look like Howards pic. This unprotected opening exposed the luan to moisture from cooking or venting. I used frame sealing tape that is used for installing windows and doors to seal this opening then installed the new vent.

Azdel would be a better solution for laminated walls rather than the luan that soaks up water like a sponge.

https://www.azdelonboard.com/

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
        When I replaced a broken range vent I found the material in the opening to look like Howards pic. This unprotected opening exposed the luan to moisture from cooking or venting. I used frame sealing tape that is used for installing windows and doors to seal this opening then installed the new vent.

Azdel would be a better solution for laminated walls rather than the luan that soaks up water like a sponge.

https://www.azdelonboard.com/

Jim
        Jim - agree with what I have learned in my brief researching and learning on Azdel. I think this could be a game changer for GDRV to use this product in place of luan which has proven to be a sponge as you said with delamination or other similar events allowing water intrusion. This said I do not know what the downsides are of this product and/or the longer term implications but the jury seems to be giving it thumbs up now !

Dan
        Dan & Carol
        2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
        2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post

Jim - agree with what I have learned in my brief researching and learning on Azdel. I think this could be a game changer for GDRV to use this product in place of luan which has proven to be a sponge as you said with delamination or other similar events allowing water intrusion. This said I do not know what the downsides are of this product and/or the longer term implications but the jury seems to be giving it thumbs up now !

Dan
          Dan,

Winnebago uses it. GDRV should also get on board.

Jim

Comment

Grand Design denied my claim, their excuse........ not enough lap sealant (i do this every year and i Eterna bond my entire roof) and of coarse the million dollar line...... your unit is out of warranty

also i notice my slide when closed has a bigger gap at the top compared to bottom is that normal? i always thought since i bought it like that, that was normal.

Comment

milton1979 - I sent you a private message. Please respond when you get a chance.

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Good morning guys hope all is well, please watch this video and tell me what you guys think please

greatly appreciate all your input
                Last edited by howson; 10-19-2020, 12:25 PM. Reason: Combining posts to make thread easier to read (as well as putting text in with link to video that works).

Comment

That is a very disappointing video to say the least. The seal does not run to the end of the cutout. The seal is not attached to the side wall in any manner , other than a little silicone. I would share this video with GD if you have not already. I realize that they have denied your claim but this may put them over that , being as the seal is too short for the opening. I hope ours is not this way and I will be checking these seals.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

That is a very disappointing video to say the least. The seal does not run to the end of the cutout. The seal is not attached to the side wall in any manner , other than a little silicone. I would share this video with GD if you have not already. I realize that they have denied your claim but this may put them over that , being as the seal is too short for the opening. I hope ours is not this way and I will be checking these seals.

Brian
                    Hi Brian thank you for watching my video, just to clarify the rubber seal goes all the way to the walls, however the track that hols it does not. For you to check yours you would have to remove the rubber seal.

I wish you the best bud, just keep an eye on your wall

once again thank you

Comment

Originally posted by milton1979 View Post

Hi Brian thank you for watching my video, just to clarify the rubber seal goes all the way to the walls, however the track that hols it does not. For you to check yours you would have to remove the rubber seal.

I wish you the best bud, just keep an eye on your wall

once again thank you
                      I will need to check mine for this as well since I don't think my track goes all the way to the end either. I know my rubber seal does but not the rest of the track I believe.

Got me worried now too.

Rob
                      Rob & Barb
                      2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
                      2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Originally posted by Calbar View Post

I will need to check mine for this as well since I don't think my track goes all the way to the end either. I know my rubber seal does but not the rest of the track I believe.

Got me worried now too.

Rob
                        Hi Rob, not only do you want to check if it goes all the way but you also want to check if its screwed to the wall.

thank you for watching and i wish you the best.

Comment

Milton - The video worked great. Did you get the private message I sent you a few days ago?

Jim
                          Jim and Ginnie
                          2024 Solitude 310GK
                          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                            Milton - The video worked great. Did you get the private message I sent you a few days ago?

Jim
                            I did Jim thank you for that, i did reply to it, not sure if you got my reply

I do appreciate everything you are doing for me

once again thank you very much Jim

Comment

Seriously thinking of removing every window/door/hatch next spring and installing flashing tape to seal the rough opening and exposed luan on these openings.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X