Double check your exposed exterior screws on the trailer and slide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double check your exposed exterior screws on the trailer and slide

MT 5th wheel is not that old and today while doing some slide maintenance I found a bunch of loose and striped screws. So I went and checked the rest of the trailer.

Fender skit screws - especially leading and trailing edge. be careful not to depress the fender skirt as it could crack.
    All cargo door screws - inside - found many took 1/2 turn to snug up,
    Exposed fascia screws - a few needed 1/4 turn
    Check plastic covering for screws in tracks - my under the overhand trim plastic had shrunk about 2 inches, Sealed with silicone so water could not get in the end. I did not remove the plastic and check screws, but I might do that.
    Fridge vent screws - inside frame after pulling vent covers. Snug 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Also sealed the heads. I also sealed the luan edges. Removed wasp nest while there.
    Furnace and water heater covers - same issue tighten 1/4 to 1/8 turn.

In general if it is an exposed head, give it a twist, but do not be a gorilla. Just snug them up.

For the striped ones I used some tooth picks with a dab of gorilla glue to fill the hole before reinserting screw.

Hope this helps folks

Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Thanks for this post Yoda ! I went out to the trailer today to caulk/seal the screws on the bottom of the frame for my pass through doors. The curb side ones were leaking which caused trapped water under my subfloor.

Anyway, because of your post and the fact that I had my no. 2 bit out, I went down the sides of my 2021 2970RL. All the screws were lose to some degree. Some worse (3-4 turns) than others (1/4 to 1/2 turn) and some would not cinch up at all.

Folks need to check these. As I found in my pass through door frame, lose screws can be a point of entry for water.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Working...
    X