Slide Topper on Imagine XLS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide Topper on Imagine XLS

Of all the posts here on slide toppers, I'm not seeing that anyone has installed one on an Imagine XLS. With the reduced height, is there enough room to install with the proper slope on these units? Debating on whether I want to have the dealer include this in the deal.

John in PA

John in PA

I see what you mean by the slope. Looking at a picture of the slide wall on a XLS the slide flange is pretty close to the roof line. I am not sure what slope is required by the topper manufacture, if any. On our previous TT , another brand , I installed a topper and turned the wall attachment upside down and butted it up against the gutter. We did not have much slope and the topper was long and would hold water in a heavy rain. The ones that we have installed on our GD unit are Carefree. These have a roller that is placed in the middle of the tube that stops the tube from flexing and bowing in the middle and we have not had any rain pool on the topper. I do not know exactly which model that was installed and all I can find on the Carefree site is something called "FLXgaurd" this may be what I have but there is no pictures. If you could get this style then you may not have to worry about slope as much. Also some folks have put inflatables under the topper to keep rain from pooling.

Brian (also in PA)
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by jbjlock View Post
      Of all the posts here on slide toppers, I'm not seeing that anyone has installed one on an Imagine XLS. With the reduced height, is there enough room to install with the proper slope on these units? Debating on whether I want to have the dealer include this in the deal.

John in PA
      I have a 2021 2970RL with 2 slides and I had the dealer install toppers on both. I have provided a picture of how the topper sits on my door side slide. As you can see it is pretty high in order to clear the awning on the slide. The topper on this slide is pretty close to flat. Water does pool on it. As compared to the slide on the other side that is pretty sloped as the slide contains the kitchen and entertainment center so it is shorter and allows for more slope on the topper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SlideTopperDoorSide-Zoom.jpg
Views:	2076
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	32440

There is a YouTube video by Lippert Components on how to install a slide topper.

In this video he talks about mounting the bracket in the high position or low position, the only thing you have to be sure of is that the fabric doesn't rub on the top of the slide flange. If you go to the end of the video and look at his final installation the topper is pretty level.
      Mike & Lisa
      Central Florida
      2021 Imagine 2970RL
      1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Just installed topper on 17MKE and the minimum height was 3" to install the c- channel from the top of the slide-out. That is all there is, 3 inches. As said before, mounted the channel rail with the screw holes below the channel with it tight against the gutter. There is a slope to the fabric when mounting the plates on the lower slots.

Comment

Richard the installation on the MKE 17 really looks nice. Would you mind sharing the manufacturer of the topper - thanks

Comment

John in PA
            The dealer installed ours when we bought it. Not sure which brand but here’s a photo showing the top

Click image for larger version

Name:	E73B6F52-AD4E-4EA8-8EC5-311403A0AC3E.jpeg
Views:	1789
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	32532
            2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L
            2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
            Andersen WDH
            Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
            2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
            2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Comment

Hi everyone, Thank you for posting this topic. I have 2019 imagine 2970RL with the 2 slides. My dealer just told me that they can not install the slide topper on my door side slide "factory awning is in the way" I had them go ahead and install the one on the kitchen side slide but I'm a little disappointed that they couldn't do both. Any recommendations on a type of slide I could suggest to the dealer?

Comment

Originally posted by pdasilva82@gmail.com View Post
                Hi everyone, Thank you for posting this topic. I have 2019 imagine 2970RL with the 2 slides. My dealer just told me that they can not install the slide topper on my door side slide "factory awning is in the way" I had them go ahead and install the one on the kitchen side slide but I'm a little disappointed that they couldn't do both. Any recommendations on a type of slide I could suggest to the dealer?
                I have a 2970RL with toppers on both slides that were dealer installed. You can see my topper and a Lippert video I included in post #3 in this thread. I have the Lippert Solera topper to match the awnings. I am including a picture that shows the bracket used on my door slide topper. The bracket used on this side is different from the one they used on the kitchen slide.

And in looking at my picture I realize the head on one of my set screws has busted off. Add something else to the project list.

If your dealer can't or won't handle this install maybe reach out to a different dealer or a mobile tech to do the work.
                Mike & Lisa
                Central Florida
                2021 Imagine 2970RL

Comment

Thank you OurNewEra for this information. I'm going to let my dealer know and hopefully this will change there mind.

Comment

pdasilva82@gmail.com
                    Welcome to the family and the forum!

I can't answer your question, but I see that you are a new member and wanted to take a moment to let you know that the moderators have put together a Welcome Letter for new members to help them navigate the forum and have the best possible experience here. You can find it at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
                    Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                    Nash County, NC
                    2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by pdasilva82@gmail.com View Post
                      Thank you OurNewEra for this information. I'm going to let my dealer know and hopefully this will change there mind.
                      You are welcome. I hope it helps. But, be careful about having someone do something they don't want to do. You may not get their best effort.
                      ​​​​​​
                      Mike & Lisa
                      Central Florida
                      2021 Imagine 2970RL

Comment

Good advice Mike. My dealer had the parts in hand and couldn't figure out a solution in spite of photographs. Better to let that go and do it yourself. Many thanks for the photos and accompanying descriptions, good job.
                        Vic and Barb
                        2021 315RLTS

Comment

Richard Farmer Welcome to the family and the forum! My apologies for not realizing the first time I read thru that it was your first post. If you haven't been thru the Welcome Letter yet, there is a link posted in post #10.
                          Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                          Nash County, NC
                          2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

John in PA
                            FWIW: It takes me about 10 minutes to sweep off any debris from the top of the slide and relube the vertical and horizantal rubber, Saves a ton of money and gives me a little exercise. It's been a long time since I've seen a slide topper installed on an Imagine, of any model. I not of the opinion that the "juice is worth the squeeze". Travel Safely.
                            Dave and Sue
                            2020 GD 2250RK
                            2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
                            Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
                            GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
                            SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Working...
                            X