Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Awning fabric adjustment on 2018 303rls Dometic awning.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awning fabric adjustment on 2018 303rls Dometic awning.

I have been watching YouTube videos to correct an issue that does not allow one of my awning arms to close flush to channel. Apparently it has to do with the fabric pulling away due to wind or rain accumulation. The fix is supposedly easy, remove fabric retention screw and pull fabric towards arm that is binding 1/2” at a time.

The problem is...where is this darn retention screw? I tried pulling the fabric but it is really hard and won’t budge. What am I doing wrong?
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
    Demco Recon

From what I have seen the retention screw is going to be at one of the ends. It goes through the channel and through the cording that runs through the awning. It could be on top of the channel or the bottom under the awning.

If you can't find the screw then that may be why your awning is having a problem. You may need to add one.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Beachcamper

I would agree with Mike OurNewEra . . . If you look at the rail directly above the end of the fabric in your second picture, that looks like the hole where the retaining screw used to be.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob, I see that now and am at a loss because I can’t physically move the fabric left or right. I might need to enlist a strong neighbor to help tomorrow. It looks so easy for that fabric to slide on the rail once screw is removed.

Thank you both for your replies.

Vivian
        Vivian
        2018 Reflection 303rls
        Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
          Rob, I see that now and am at a loss because I can’t physically move the fabric left or right. I might need to enlist a strong neighbor to help tomorrow. It looks so easy for that fabric to slide on the rail once screw is removed.

Thank you both for your replies.

Vivian
          I have adjusted mine some and it is not easy. Took three of us, one on a ladder at the rig, one on the roof, and one at the end of the awning. You need someone pushing the tube towards the rig to take the pressure off of the fabric. Once one person is doing that, then you work the fabric one way or the other. I actually need to redo mine again as well now that I think of it.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

I have adjusted mine some and it is not easy. Took three of us, one on a ladder at the rig, one on the roof, and one at the end of the awning. You need someone pushing the tube towards the rig to take the pressure off of the fabric. Once one person is doing that, then you work the fabric one way or the other. I actually need to redo mine again as well now that I think of it.
            Neil, did you have the fabric fully extended or halfway rolled? In the videos they make it look easy peasy

Vivian
            Vivian
            2018 Reflection 303rls
            Demco Recon

Comment

Neil, did you have the fabric fully extended or halfway rolled? In the videos they make it look easy peasy

Vivian
              I think we had it all the way out. Videos always do.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I would try extending the awning about a foot. There seems to not be much pressure at that point. If that does not work then as mentioned earlier have someone pushed back on the awning tube to relieve the pressure. Sliding the fabric is not as easy as the video shows.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Vivian
                  Putting a new one in is easy when you can hit it with silicone spray. Once it is in there for a bit then it's not so easy. It is a multi-person job. It also helps if you can have some push in the direction you need it to move.
                  Mike & Lisa
                  Central Florida
                  2021 Imagine 2970RL
                  1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

I was finally able to get the fabric to move as suggested, one person at front rail (extend awning fully) pushing towards RV. Person number two was then able to pull the fabric in increments until the arm seated properly. The photo above which suggests a screw hole was just a mark it was not a hole. I did secure a self tapping screw through fabric, hope it holds.

Thank you all for helping me out, I hope my experience helps someone else
                    Vivian
                    2018 Reflection 303rls
                    Demco Recon

Comment

Working...
                    X