RECEIVER ON FRAME OF 2019 310GK WITH BUMPER & NO RECEIVER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RECEIVER ON FRAME OF 2019 310GK WITH BUMPER & NO RECEIVER

I was planning to add a receiver for my bike rack to the rear end of my recently acquired 310 GK. However I had read on the other forum a warning about potential frame warranty issues. I called Lippert and explained my plan, and he confirmed that the warranty on the frame would in fact be voided if there was any modification to the frame. He said that the only effective way to adequately reinforce the frame in order to add the receiver would be to cut the bumper off, and that would of course void the warranty. So there appears to be no way to have this done and maintain the warranty intact. I spoke to a service person at GD and she confirmed that information and pointed out that is what is stated in the GD handbook.

I did read about one 310 GK owner who had a receiver welded on based on the welder's statement that he had never heard of a frame problem over a 15 year period. I am not about to take that risk. I don't plan on using a bike rack bolted onto the bumper, as the bumper is not meant to handle heavy duty bike racks.

Today I did read on the other forum website about a 310 GK owner who had Lippert make and weld on a bike rack back in 2017 at one of the GD rallies.

Has anyone else solved this problem?

Rich
    Rich & Shari Clark, Surrey, BC
    2019 310GK, Added Furion Observation Camera, Hitch Receiver to come.
    2016 GMC 3500 Duramax Denali

Rich - the feedback you shared is consistent with that over the years. Adding a hitch will void the frame warranty per LCI (lippert.) Many GDRV owners (and owners of other brands over many years) have added hitches with no frame damage occurring. Have there been some frame/other issues......I suspect so for those towing too heavy of a load and/or with excessive tongue weight.

When we asked about this in 2014, LCI stated with me in a phone conversation that they would be more than happy to install their hitch at their service center and not impact the frame warranty. The price was double (about $800 vs $400 from a local welding shop.) They did not say anything about having to cut our bumper off in 2014. Possibly this is different with Solitudes or the year of the GDRV or just a different response for who knows why ! We did not pursue either option.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Since the frame warranty is only one year, is it even an issue whether it's warranted or not?

Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
        Since the frame warranty is only one year, is it even an issue whether it's warranted or not?

That has always been my thought. Once you are out of warranty do whatever you want.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

CLARKR4

Rich, just wondered if you went ahead with installing the receiver and bike rack? If so how is it working for you?
          I’m thinking of having a receiver welded on my frame as well for a basket/cargo hauler thing, I don’t have to worry about warranty!
          Keith and Diane
          2014 Reflection 337 RLS
          2017 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins Mega Cab

Comment

Keith & Diane
            I did not installed the receiver. We went to Texas for the winter and did not take the bikes and just did more walking. We had to cut our stay short by 2 weeks, so for 2 1/2 months just walked. I may investigate once the warranty is up. We only carry two bikes on a Swagman rack, which has capacity for 4 bikes. I doubt that the total weight would be more than 200 lbs for the rack and two bikes. However I did not want to risk it.
            Rich

Comment

Sorry for a very late response here. I just saw it searching for something else. I might be the person you heard about; we had a receiver installed on our 2018 310-GK by Lippert at the 2018 National Rally in Goshen, IN. They had said that the warranty would not be voided if they did the install. We were only 6 months into our warranty so we decided to have them do it, despite the extra cost of having them do it instead of a local welding shop. Since then we've had no chassis problems, so in retrospect it might not have been worth it. Ain't hindsight great?

Fast forward to May 2019, outside Joshua Tree National Park. The boondocking websites made frequent references to a dry lake bed just outside the north entrance. Let's try it.

You may know that the late winter and early spring were quite rainy, which resulted in an amazing desert spring bloom. And no-longer dry lake beds. We ended up six inches deep in ball-bearing-slick clay mud. When the tow truck arrived (Yea!) he took one look at the welded-on receiver framework and said, "Wow! This person really knew how to weld!" He hooked onto that and pulled rig and 350 dually right back out of the mire. Sure am glad we had that receiver added!

Re: the comment about bike racks on RVs. The only one I found that was "RV certified" by its manufacturer was the Swagman Escapee. It has about 20K miles on it with two bikes and is good as new. Very happy with it.
              Al and Kathe
              :No longer full-time. New sticks and bricks in East Helena, MT

2018 Solitude 310GK 110463 (Rhett)
              2018 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat (Scarlett)

Visited states map on the blog (below)
              Follow us: http://lobstersontheloose.com

Comment

Al & Kathe
                So now I am a late responder. I am now ready to add the receiver for the bike rack. I had my fabricator over to our storage location to evaluate the options of adding the receiver. Option 1. Weld a 2" bar across just behind where the bumper is welded to the frame on each side. The receiver would be welded to that bar and come out under the bumper. The clearance from the bumper to the ground is about 17 1/2", which seems to be about standard for the units I saw with a receiver at our Traveland dealer. So adding a receiver under the bumper would decrease the clearance by another 2 1/2 - 3"?

Option no. 2 - The receiver fabricator suggested to remove the existing bumper and replace with a heavier gauge steel bumper, and install the receiver through the bumper. This would mean no loss in clearance height, but a new bumper spray painted but not factory painted so may be subject to some color deterioration over time. $200 more for the extra steel and work which I am not concerned about.

Option no. 3 - As I checked around the dealer's lot, looking for clearance measurements, I found two new Solitudes, 1 was a 310GK, with a receiver BUT NO BUMPER. The other Solitude a 378 I think, and it did not have a bumper either. So I was thinking of just removing the bumper and installing the welded on receiver(as above) and I should be able to maintain the 17 1/2" clearance.
                Has Grand Design stopped installing bumpers?

When Lippert installed your receiver did they put it under the bumper, and if so, has the clearance been an issue. If possible can you send me a picture of the final installation.
                Thanks for any answers on these questions.

Rich

Comment

CLARKR4 Look at the back of the unit. I looked at a different MFG and the ones without the bumper at the time looked off. The frame rails were showing and the rear wall stopped short with the Coroplast wrapped up to fill the gap.

Remember if you put a receiver into the bumper you will loose that as hose storage and may need to add a storage location.

With Bumper:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 6.21.29 AM.png
Views:	451
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	59808

Hard to see, but no bumper:

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 6.22.33 AM.png
Views:	408
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	59809

Last edited by Jlawles2; 07-06-2021, 06:23 AM.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

I am looking into doing this as well and have found a few more RV rated racks.

ALTA racks
                    velocirax
                    Recon Racks

Comment

Originally posted by CLARKR4 View Post

When Lippert installed your receiver did they put it under the bumper, and if so, has the clearance been an issue. If possible can you send me a picture of the final installation.
                      Thanks for any answers on these questions.
                      Done by a local installer:

Name:	20210707_114132.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	59938

Name:	20210707_114201.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	59940

Name:	20210707_114226.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	59941

Name:	20210707_114246.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	59943

Attached Files
                      2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
                      Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
                      2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
                      18k B&W Companion, non-slider
                      640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
                      Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
                      Somerset, WI

Comment

Steve & Renee
                        Thanks for the pictures. Looks like the welder cut a corner off the back end of the bumper bracket to fit the cross bar in. That would ensure that the bar is a couple of inches below the underbelly coroplast to allow access if needed. I have needed that access due to water in the underbelly. Have you had any clearance issues getting into gas stations or dips in roads etc?

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by CLARKR4 View Post
                          Have you had any clearance issues getting into gas stations or dips in roads etc?

Rich
                          No clearance issues with the hitch. I mounted a sewer utility box on the bumper that got scraped off, but the hitch hasn't complained.
                          2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
                          Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
                          2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
                          18k B&W Companion, non-slider
                          640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
                          Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
                          Somerset, WI

Comment

Another option is to mount a receiver hitch under the front bumper of your truck. I have used this set up for years and they work fine. I use mine mostly on the ranch for spray rigs and wildlife feeders. But have seen many used for bike racks
                            2017 F250 Diesel Superduty SRW SWB
                            2020 Solitude 310GK-R

Comment

Saw this on the other day. Maximizing the available space.

Name:	Rack.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	60015​​​​​​​
                              ​​​​​​​
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment