Propane door on 5th wheel keeps opening on bumpy roads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane door on 5th wheel keeps opening on bumpy roads

HELP! I have one of the propane compartment doors opening on bumpy roads and I am. It sure how to fix it. I have checked the nut and screw to make sure these are secure and compared the latches on the faulty side (passenger side) to the other compartment door and see no difference. Has anybody has this problem and have a solution?

incase signature doesn’t work, I have the reflection 303rls 2020 model.
    2020 303RLS - RAM 2500 Diesel - Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    Full timing

Originally posted by FindingMyPlace View Post
    HELP! I have one of the propane compartment doors opening on bumpy roads and I am. It sure how to fix it. I have checked the nut and screw to make sure these are secure and compared the latches on the faulty side (passenger side) to the other compartment door and see no difference. Has anybody has this problem and have a solution?

I have not had this issue or heard of this , yet.
    The only thing I can think of is the catch is not long enough to engage the door frame. Being as this is the propane door you could remove the propane bottle and shut the door then reach a lite up inside the compartment from the bottom side to see what is going on , take a picture to share and we may be able to help further.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I know on mine, one side I need to really push the door in to get the latch to engage, which then makes it tough to turn to open it. Could be the reverse of this issue and the door is not putting enough stress on the latch to keep it locked? Possibly you could bend the tab a bit to make it "drag" some against the door when you turn it so it stays put? That said there are two, I am surprised both would have this issue.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Slightly bend the "tab" a bit for more drag as mentioned above and/or disassemble the lock and rebuild it so gravity keeps it locked instead of unlocking (reverse direction.) Had to do several of mine. Not too tough to do.
        Jim (& Sharon)
        2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
        2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
        The toys:
        2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
        2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Originally posted by JCR GD View Post
          Slightly bend the "tab" a bit for more drag as mentioned above and/or disassemble the lock and rebuild it so gravity keeps it locked instead of unlocking (reverse direction.) Had to do several of mine. Not too tough to do.
          I was just thinking about the rebuild option you mentioned Jim. I have not yet taken it apart to see what this would take but gravity sucking explained why this was happening on passenger and not driver side. I don't have the tools i would need to "bend" the tab in a measured way and knowing my luck I will end up causing damage.
          Full timing

Comment

I was just thinking about the rebuild option you mentioned Jim. I have not yet taken it apart to see what this would take but gravity sucking explained why this was happening on passenger and not driver side. I don't have the tools i would need to "bend" the tab in a measured way and knowing my luck I will end up causing damage.
            Just push on it a bit with your thumb. It will bend fairly easily.

Phillips screw driver, remove phillips screw on back and reverse stopper plate, reassemble.
            Last edited by JCR GD; 10-28-2020, 09:49 AM. Reason: More info
            Jim (& Sharon)
            2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
            2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
            The toys:
            2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
            2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Just push on it a bit with your thumb. It will bend fairly easily.

Phillips screw driver, remove phillips screw on back and reverse stopper plate, reassemble.
              I looked at just pushing on the tab but the tab seems to be 5mm steel and the door "bends" rather than the tab. Reversing the plate seems like a super simple fix. i'll do that when it gets above 35 this morning
              Full timing

Comment

You can replace the /tab bar on the inside with longer ones. I had to do that with my front compartment lock.

The other thing I am curious about is whether or not the latch is in the open position when you stop, is it wiggling open? or is it separating enough to allow it to open?

If it stays a chronic problem you may want to add an eye and hook to ensure it stays closed. You can find nice ones at marine stores.
                2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
                2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
                E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
                Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Interesting that you had this occur. We just completed a 1,500 mile round trip to TX and after having traveled a very rough stretch of road near Wichita Falls, TX I noticed the passenger side door was popping open while we were driving. I pulled over and closed the door and checked the latches and all seemed fine. We have had our rig 7 months and have traveled over 4k miles without any issue. The only difference I had made was to the propane tank. I had turned it off since it was empty and switched open the driver side tank.

Once again, now shut of Wichita Falls, the door opened again and I pulled over. The latches are not too short and I checked to make certain the latches were not loose, I am referring to the latch parts themselves. All was good. I loosened the security bands on the propane tank, pulled the tank toward me as far as I could to make it sit towards the outside as far as possible. My goal was to cause pressure against the door and door seal/jam. This worked and for the remainder of the trip we had no further surprise openning.

As suggested above, I will bend the latches slightly to create friction upon closure. I believe this to be a more effective long-term solution.
                  Keith and Tina
                  2021 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
                  2014 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins Crew Cab SWD SB 4X4
                  Hitch Curt 20k Fixed Mount

Comment

Originally posted by Santa61 View Post

Interesting that you had this occur. We just completed a 1,500 mile round trip to TX and after having traveled a very rough stretch of road near Wichita Falls, TX I noticed the passenger side door was popping open while we were driving. I pulled over and closed the door and checked the latches and all seemed fine. We have had our rig 7 months and have traveled over 4k miles without any issue. The only difference I had made was to the propane tank. I had turned it off since it was empty and switched open the driver side tank.

Once again, now shut of Wichita Falls, the door opened again and I pulled over. The latches are not too short and I checked to make certain the latches were not loose, I am referring to the latch parts themselves. All was good. I loosened the security bands on the propane tank, pulled the tank toward me as far as I could to make it sit towards the outside as far as possible. My goal was to cause pressure against the door and door seal/jam. This worked and for the remainder of the trip we had no further surprise openning.

As suggested above, I will bend the latches slightly to create friction upon closure. I believe this to be a more effective long-term solution.
                    Thanks Keith for sharing your experience. I checked to make sure my tabs were long enough and sealing and all seemed good. I checked with my copilot to see if the latches were in the open or closed position when she went out mid trip to recline the door and she confirms they were in the closed position, meaning she had to open the latch first before being able to close it. This suggest that d2reid is into something and I might need longer latches even though they seem long enough when closed. I too am going to try the tab bending, and flip the lock plate to make sure gravity isn’t messing with me. I did 40 miles on bumpy interstate (i70 flagstaff to Phoenix) and another 20 on wash board gravel to dispersed camping and the door stayed shut so I haven’t figured out what the actual cause is either.
                    Full timing

Comment

and flip the lock plate to make sure gravity isn’t messing with me.
                      When you say "flip the lock plate" do you mean you are going to rotate the lock so when you open it the lock tab must go up and not down?

2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
                      2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
                      E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
                      Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Originally posted by d2reid View Post

When you say "flip the lock plate" do you mean you are going to rotate the lock so when you open it the lock tab must go up and not down?
                        That is what I meant by that.

Edit: There is a little stop plate on the back of the lock that can be reversed so the lock rotates the opposite direction (up instead of down.)
                        Jim (& Sharon)
                        The toys:
                        2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
                        2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

That is what I meant by that.

Edit: There is a little stop plate on the back of the lock that can be reversed so the lock rotates the opposite direction (up instead of down.)
                          Thanks Jim for making it more clear.
                          Full timing

Comment

Working...
                          X