Max Air Vent Install! [w/pics] 😎

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max Air Vent Install! [w/pics] 😎

I installed 3 Max Air Vent Covers on my Grand Design 265BH the other day! Now we can have the vents open while on the road or during rain at the campsite! I picked the smoked lens to aid in cooling the trailer in direct sunlight. Install was a breeze... position the cover, place the brackets, lift the cover back off ensuring not to disturb the preplaced brackets, mark your holes to drill on the vent flange, drill the marked holes out with your favorite drill, install the flange bracket hardware, place the vent bolts in position on the brackets to accept the vent cover, position the vent over over the bolts and tighten it down... done deal! Right around 10 min per vent cover if you have a helper in the trailer cranking the vent open and closed as you need it to install the hardware. We camped for a few days over the weekend and it did rain, so really happy with the purchase! There is a Max Air II cover for about $10 more but it just looked like it has a little more vent size then the one we purchased. Up to you on the look I guess!

www.instagram.com/workingmanstruck

Originally posted by Buckeye76 View Post
    I installed 3 Max Air Vent Covers on my Grand Design 265BH the other day!
    Edit: The advice below to seal the bolts & nuts was based on an incorrect assumption on my part. Please read responses to my suggestion in subsequent posts. (Left this here so the thread conversation makes sense.)

Nice!

May I make a suggestion? May not be required, but it won't hurt and may head off problems later--bury those bolt heads and those slots with self-leveling sealant. Below is an example with one "sealed" (courtesy of Photoshop).

Click image for larger version  Name:	sealant 2.jpg Views:	89 Size:	93.2 KB ID:	34586
    Last edited by howson; 11-20-2020, 08:20 AM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Howard howson - can you share why there may be or what those potential problems could be ? Mine and I suspect most other folks as well, have been exposed (ah, my vent covers ) for 7 season w/o concern or issues.

Buckeye76 - thanks, for sharing your write up and pictures ! Vent covers are the best thing since sliced bread !

Dan
      Dan & Carol
      2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
      2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Howard

The bolt heads you are referencing do not penetrate the roof. These mount with an L bracket to the roof vent flange. I have the Maxair II on ours and did not seal any of the bolts.

Buckeye76

Great write up. I installed these on our previous TT as well as our current fifth wheel since new and would never be with out them. It is great to be able to leave the vent or vents open for fresh air all year long.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Buckeye76 , Country Campers and Canyonlight ,

OK--I thought the bolts penetrated the roof. Never mind.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

What do u do if your electric vent cover hits the max air cover? the bathroom vent coveris manual so no problem there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Pauly View Post
              What do u do if your electric vent cover hits the max air cover? the bathroom vent coveris manual so no problem there.
              Both of mine do the same thing, Ed. According to MaxxAir that is normal.

Comment

Ed

The power vent in the kitchen hits my Max air 2 cover just about at the end of the stroke and puts a little pressure on the cover. We have not had an issue with this but rarely open this vent and use the fan. There is a special vent cover made for this fan that will not interfere with the power vent cover.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Apparently there is a torque limit switch built into the motor for the vent cover so that when the vent cover presses against the air cover the motor shuts off. Max Air indicates that this is acceptable as long as you can get about 50% open on the vent cover. We have had an air cover on our bathroom vent for about 7 months now and use it daily with no issues.
                  John
                  2018 Momentum 395M
                  2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                  Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Thanks I will look for the larger one for the motorized vent.

Comment

Buckeye76, Did you have to screw in all three vent covers or did any of them have the clips where you could just pin them in?
                      Tim and Nora
                      2021 Transcend 260 RB

Comment

Thanks I will look for the larger one for the motorized vent.
                        Just to confirm what howson Howard posted in #7 . . . I have the largest MaxxAir cover over their power vent and the vent lid comes up against the cover. MaxxAir says this is "normal" per the comments in this thread. (Just did not want you to think that there is a cover out there that fully clears an open power vent)

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

was concerned the motor operator might burn out trying to open against the cover :(

Comment

was concerned the motor operator might burn out trying to open against the cover :(
                            The drive motor shuts off based on travel restriction electrical load, whether this is caused by the cover or end of available travel. There does not appear to be any limit switch to be reached. We have one vent with a cover and two without. They all operate the same. BTW, the rain sensor works really well to close an open vent if it rains. The only need for a cover is if you want the vent to stay open in the rain.

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

we never get rain here in SD unless it trap shooting time :(

Comment

Working...
                              X