Slam latch lock replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slam latch lock replacement?

Has anyone tried changing the lock on the slam latch? I want to put in the coke machine style lock, Amazon carries the RV Design L327 Ace compartment lock. It looks like the OEM lock is removable, will a normal RV lock work? As for security, my slam lock key says R001, kinda sounds like a CH751-type where everyone has it. Slam latch is a nice idea, as long as the lock can be changed.
    Mark & Judy
    2021 F350 Lariat 4x4 7.3L Crew SB SRW
    2021 GD Imagine2500RL

Originally posted by mbergthold View Post
    Has anyone tried changing the lock on the slam latch? I want to put in the coke machine style lock, Amazon carries the RV Design L327 Ace compartment lock. It looks like the OEM lock is removable, will a normal RV lock work? As for security, my slam lock key says R001, kinda sounds like a CH751-type where everyone has it. Slam latch is a nice idea, as long as the lock can be changed.
    I can't answer the specific question regarding the RV Design lock, but maybe my experience with an RV Lock will help. Check out https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...n-2019-315rlts
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks! I'll take one of mine off & see if the lock tumbler will swap out. Installing 2 elect combo locks on the entry doors, that’s 2 remotes already to keep track of, don’t want to add 2 more. After seeing some reviews for the combo locks (being able to move the lock up and down after install, and the striker plate rusting), they're no longer on my list.
      Last edited by mbergthold; 12-08-2020, 06:42 PM. Reason: Update
      Mark & Judy
      2021 F350 Lariat 4x4 7.3L Crew SB SRW
      2021 GD Imagine2500RL

Comment

I bought the RVLock keyed slam latches to replace my GD ones. It was an easy swap on my Imagine since the GD backing plate worked. To be honest I didn't like them. They just didn't slam as nice and easy as the GD version.

I just finished swapping back to the original GD slam latches. Won't worry about the universal key situation. We rarely lock them anyway, only when traveling down the highway. Once we get where we're going everything of value comes out of the storage and gets hooked up to the trailer.
        Charles and Susan
        2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
        Andersen Hitch
        2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Working...
        X