Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FlexArmor RV Roof

Sorry for the long post.

Much to my surprise this spring when I did my roof inspection after pulling the coach from storage (it's covered in winter storage), I found a soft spot where the front cap meets the roof near the curb side. I inspect my roof several times throughout the camping season and Dicor any areas that looked cracked or dried out. In that particular area I did not see anything suspicious (cracks or otherwise). Also no damage inside the couch in the bedroom closet area.

My plan was to have the FlexArmor (https://rvroof.com) roof applied in 2022, seven years into ownership. As I get closer to retirement, this was an item I wanted done as a peace of mind for the roof. Getting onto and off of the roof will likely become more of a challenge with age.

They have several locations across the US but the closest to me was just east of Kansas City, Missouri. I started the research on this franchisee before committing to engaging with them on a quote and work. Two guys started this business in November 2019 and have great reviews from RV owners. I spoke to FlexArmor HQ in Jacksonville, Florida and they stated that all franchisees must go through a few months of training. The equipment is shipped and installed by staff from Jacksonville, Florida to ensure it meets the “FlexArmor” standards. The equipment will also be inspected periodically by someone from HQ.

With that knowledge, I engaged with the owners of Lifetime RV Roof in Bates City, Missouri. They were very easy to work with through the quoting and expectations process. They need 2.5 days to complete the process without any major repairs. Day one is predominantly prep with the second day being two coats and the final half day is inspection with putting it all back together. Oddly, one of the owners has an aunt who lives 15 miles from me in Minnesota....small world.

Their facility is right off the Interstate 70 and can handle two RVs at one time. A day’s drive down, stayed at the KOA just down the road from them and had reservations for a hotel 12 minutes west of their location. They offered to have me stay in their lot overnight before the start date but I elected to stay in the KOA where I could dump tanks in the morning.

Upon arrival they immediately went to the roof for the inspection and found the soft spot I pointed out in our previous conversations. I dropped the coach in their parking lot and we discussed the process once again. My coach had the old crank up TV antenna and they recommended I consider the omni-directional stationary bat wing replacement, $95…done!

They completely draped the coach roofline to garage floor in plastic then plug in the coach for power, if necessary. They removed the AC units entirely, removed the top of my MaxxFan vents, covered the openings for the AC and vents, masked the shower skylight. If you have standard RV vents they will replace the covers as part of the price. They would also replace the vent stack cover as part of the installation price but I have a non-standard vent cap so they worked around it. They mask and spray just over the rear cap, further over the front cap than the original seams and right to the top of the gutters. As you can see in the attached photos, they don't actually scrape the Dicor just cut it off. They don't replace the existing roof but spray over it. The polyurea they use bonds to the existing membrane creating a complete seal to the roof substrate. Good maintenance and proper installation from GDRV made this an easier job whereas they have done some extensive roof repairs on other coaches.

On the first day, they called and explained the shower skylight was very brittle and during prep, it cracked. They would replace the old one with a new one, matching the dark brown color of the roof items with a tinted version rather than just plain clear...no charge. They also stated they could spray over the new skylight removing any chance of replacement in the future. The DW wants the light so no cover over for us.

They kept me posted via text on their progress over the 2.5 days and I was able to pick it up around 11am on the third day. The took me into the garage bay and up on the scaffolding to look at their work. I have no regrets getting this done and working with the two owners was a pleasure (they are also the installers, no staff yet). I have been on the roof a couple times since having this done in early August, once to clean leaves off the slide rooms and once to cover the coach going into winter storage. No seams to Dicor and no maintenance whatsoever for the life of the coach.

-Lyle

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-2451.jpg Views:	181 Size:	158.8 KB ID:	36249Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-2453.jpg Views:	142 Size:	151.9 KB ID:	36250Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-2452.jpg Views:	144 Size:	92.2 KB ID:	36251Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-2459.jpg Views:	138 Size:	93.6 KB ID:	36252Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-2463.jpg Views:	145 Size:	58.6 KB ID:	36253Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-2472.jpg Views:	146 Size:	47.0 KB ID:	36254
    Last edited by howson; 12-02-2020, 03:33 PM.
    Barb, Lyle and the two four-legged kids
    2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
    2018 Ford F350 DRW

CloseToRetirement
    Hi Lyle,
    Excellent writeup ! Thanks for the detailed description and the pictures. This is something that all of us with early vintage Grand Design products should be considering.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

CloseToRetirement -- any idea how they'd handle an RV with a roof full of solar panels and wires??? This is something I've been actively considering for some time. I had fingers-crossed while reading your post hoping it was going to be positive, and it was!

I'll need to get with the folks in Jacksonville as that is the closest location to me.

Thanks for the post!

howard

P.S. GDRV-Emily...Grand Design would crush the competition if they had these roofs installed on new units right from the factory. No maintenance required on the roof? Sold!
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson thanks for the feedback. Those are a pricey addition, and would definitely be something that would be an add-on. I have seen a lot of these through the social channels. Flex Roof, Roof Armor, etc... I will provide the feedback to our team!

Comment

Yes, Lyle - thank you, so much for the detailed write up and pictures. This teams sounds like a quality operation doing excellent work. Your feedback certainly is positive.......any opposite of the coin ?

What was the final cost by the way ?

Dan
          Dan & Carol
          2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
          2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post
            Yes, Lyle - thank you, so much for the detailed write up and pictures. This teams sounds like a quality operation doing excellent work. Your feedback certainly is positive.......any opposite of the coin ?

What was the final cost by the way ?

Dan
            Dan,

There is a downside but not insurmountable in my opinion. If you need to replace a waste stack vent, shower skylight, antenna or add something new to the roof (solar), you may need to perforate the roof. I look at AC or roof vent items as "parts replaceable" items without have to completely remove and replace. FlexArmor recommends you make your change, Dicor the new addition in place then return to them for a small fee and they will remove the Dicor and reset the membrane back to the lifetime warranty. Personally, I don't have any immediate or short term plans to add anything new to my roof. My shower skylight and antenna should be good to go for another 5 or more years.

Cost for the application on my 40ft Solitude was around $7500, tax included. Not inexpensive but for me that piece of mind factor is well worth it.

Lastly they showed me a piece of the roof they removed over the soft spot and it was like parchment paper...thin and stiff, almost brittle from only 5 years in service. The new application is much thicker than the 25 mil EPDM at 187 mil (3/16"). I have been through a couple of hail storms with the new roof and can attest that the noise is reduced from the main roof.

-Lyle

2018 Ford F350 DRW

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Emily View Post
              howson thanks for the feedback. Those are a pricey addition, and would definitely be something that would be an add-on. I have seen a lot of these through the social channels. Flex Roof, Roof Armor, etc... I will provide the feedback to our team!
              Thanks for jumping into the conversation GDRV-Emily. I spent the last two years planning on the day to replace my roof before I retired. As I am still working, getting it done before retirement was paramount for me. The FlexArmor product kept coming to the top of my list again and again. My experience has been very positive and I look forward to putting it through the test of time. I agree, it's a pricey addition but I would have considered it at the time I purchased my Solitude. Maybe it's not for everyone but the product certainly checks a lot of boxes in my book.

-Lyle
              2018 Ford F350 DRW

Comment

CloseToRetirement

Lyle,

Do you know how much additional weight was added to the rig for this installation? Also for the antenna, did you make up a cover plate for the inside crank location? I've been thinking about eliminating the crank up antenna since they are a potential leak source.

I'm close to retirement (1.5 months) as well and would like to keep my rig for awhile.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                  CloseToRetirement

Lyle,

Do you know how much additional weight was added to the rig for this installation? Also for the antenna, did you make up a cover plate for the inside crank location? I've been thinking about eliminating the crank up antenna since they are a potential leak source.

I'm close to retirement (1.5 months) as well and would like to keep my rig for awhile.

Jim
                  Hi Jim,

I asked and can't find my notes from our conversation. I will email him and let you know.

As for the cover plate, nothing for me to do. They took care of the cover plate as part of the replacement cost. Not a perfect match in color to the ceiling but the hole is covered and looks good.

-Lyle
                  2018 Ford F350 DRW

Comment

Originally posted by CloseToRetirement View Post

Hi Jim,

I asked and can't find my notes from our conversation. I will email him and let you know.

As for the cover plate, nothing for me to do. They took care of the cover plate as part of the replacement cost. Not a perfect match in color to the ceiling but the hole is covered and looks good.

-Lyle
                    Lyle,

Thinking maybe 100-150 lbs. Thank you for checking with them to confirm.

Jim

Comment

I had a RV FlexArmor roof on my previous fifth wheel. Same experience as Lyle. It’s amazing and tough as a boot. I will do my 2021 Solitude at the first sign of any need for roof repair. RV FlexArmor installers provide a written, transferable lifetime leakproof warranty. Go find that anywhere else. And no more roof maintenance ever.

Comment

I heard back from the owner of Lifetime RV Roof who applied my FlexArmor roof. The added weight of the application is approximately 3.75 pounds/linear foot. My application was approximately 37 feet so just under 140 pounds.

-Lyle
                        2018 Ford F350 DRW

Comment

I heard back from the owner of Lifetime RV Roof who applied my FlexArmor roof. The added weight of the application is approximately 3.75 pounds/linear foot. My application was approximately 37 feet so just under 140 pounds.

-Lyle
                          What is the width of a linear foot? Is it the width of your roof, say 8' +/-?
                          Robert and Chris
                          2021 XLS 22MLE (somewhat factory stock)
                          2018 Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab

Comment

-Lyle
                            Lyle,

Thank you. I'm inquiring with them since at some time in the future a replacement roof may be needed and a pre-determined plan always works better. A question I will have for them is whether the material can be installed on the bare wood and how that bond would compare to applying it over the TPO. Not stating that is bad, just wondering what the installation options are. Other questions are how they fill the void on the sides of the rig under the TPO and if they can install curbs (if not needed that's fine) under areas such as the AC, skylight and vents. I'm in Michigan so the annual inspection most likely would not happen.

Jim

Comment

Great write up, it is what I will do if I ever need to replace or fix roof. What happens when your AC needs to be replaced?
                              Vivian
                              2018 Reflection 303rls
                              Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                              Demco Recon

Comment

Working...
                              X