FlexArmor RV Roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
    Great write up, it is what I will do if I ever need to replace or fix roof. What happens when your AC needs to be replaced?
    HI Vivian,

My AC unit does not mount into the roof structure per se. The bolts that fasten the unit to the roof pass through the 14" open and draw the unit to a gasket that sits between the roof and the AC unit. Just remove the AC bolts inside the coach then from the roof lift the unit off the gasket. When FlexArmor applies their roof, they remove the AC units, spray right up to the 14 inch opening, replace the gasket with a new one and reset the AC unit.

If you need to replace something like the shower skylight, cut into the FlexArmor roof, remove the old one, install the new one, Dicor the new one in place then return to FlexArmor and they will remove the Dicor and reseal the roof, for a small fee, to the lifetime warranty again.

-Lyle
    Barb, Lyle and the two four-legged kids
    2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
    2018 Ford F350 DRW

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Bob View Post

What is the width of a linear foot? Is it the width of your roof, say 8' +/-?
      Their calculation is based on a common RV roof of 8 ft. +/-, hence the approximate.

-Lyle
      2018 Ford F350 DRW

Comment

Originally posted by CloseToRetirement View Post

Their calculation is based on a common RV roof of 8 ft. +/-, hence the approximate.

-Lyle
        Received a price of $4600 from the Tennessee facility to perform a FlexArmor job on our 2600RB.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Emily View Post
          howson thanks for the feedback. Those are a pricey addition, and would definitely be something that would be an add-on. I have seen a lot of these through the social channels. Flex Roof, Roof Armor, etc... I will provide the feedback to our team!
          Emily,

I sometimes wonder if the RV industry accepts things that would never be tolerated elsewhere because well that's what everyone does. I find it hard to believe in this day and age that the only solution for an RV roof is something that requires being checked and having new sealant applied every 3 months. Consider too all the issues (some covered by warranty I'm sure) that come from the way roofs are done right now.

Now imagine the Grand Design dealer explaining that yes their unit costs more, but look at what its going to save you because you won't have to be crawling up on your roof every three months trying checking the seals and trying to fix the Dicor that has started to go bad. I know I'd be happy to pay more to avoid that nightmare.

Comment

Originally posted by Ski206 View Post
            Now imagine the Grand Design dealer explaining that yes their unit costs more, but look at what its going to save you because you won't have to be crawling up on your roof every three months trying checking the seals and trying to fix the Dicor that has started to go bad. I know I'd be happy to pay more to avoid that nightmare.
            Noted this was your first post, Ski206--we think alike! I "buy" that line of thinking. .

Please check out the Welcome Letter to New Members https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members when you get a chance--lots here on the forum to read.

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The YouTube channel RV Roof Install might be of interest to anyone looking for a low maintenance roof solution. Their process includes replacing the oem roof membrane with a commercial grade membrane(60-mil) They place boots and curbs around vents, antennas, ladder connect points, etc. Would seem to remove the need to occasionally put sealant around them. They also put feet under the A/C and Winegard Antenna to allow water to flow down the roof. Might be costly!
              2020 Reflection 31MB
              2017 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7

2019 Ford F-250 STX Gas(Retired due to inability to slow down on steep downhill grades)

Comment

Originally posted by dgerfan View Post
                The YouTube channel RV Roof Install might be of interest to anyone looking for a low maintenance roof solution. Their process includes replacing the oem roof membrane with a commercial grade membrane(60-mil) They place boots and curbs around vents, antennas, ladder connect points, etc. Would seem to remove the need to occasionally put sealant around them. They also put feet under the A/C and Winegard Antenna to allow water to flow down the roof. Might be costly!
                I watch these fellows on YouTube where they point out all the methods that are commonly used in the RV industry and make repairs while using a commercial grade solution. Even to have a roof like this originally installed, would be a good solution over the use of sealant.

Jim

Comment

CloseToRetirement did they do the slides too??
                  2018 F450 Lariat Ultimate 4x4, magnetic grey
                  2019 Momentum 381M w/Reese Goosebox 2.0, no FBP :(

Comment

Originally posted by motocamper View Post
                    CloseToRetirement did they do the slides too??
                    motocamper They do not apply to the slides due to the tight tolerances of the slide rooms. It's something the company has looked at in the past but tolerances vary so widely they take a pass on the slides.

-Lyle
                    2018 Ford F350 DRW

Comment

CloseToRetirement I had the same great experience with Flex Armor at the same facility near Kansas City. I wrote about it in: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...roof-installed They replaced the rotten plywood sheets, caused by leakage from a cut in the roof membrane when the AC was installed. They did a great job of documenting the problem. Guest they left the membrane in the front half of the camper in place. So half of their installation was over bare plywood and half over membrane.

One thing I want to add is how strong their product is. Shortly after we had the Flex Armor applied, we arrived at a campground after dark. We had never been there before, and I got mixed up and went down a road where campers don't normally go. I hit a dead branch that was just over 12 feet above ground. I didn't see it, but sure heard when my new antenna (same as CloseToRetirement added to his camper) hit it and broke the branch. The circular part of the antenna broke off. The plastic base that hold the antenna was completely covered with Flex Armor. The branch hit squarely on the base. Other than a scuff mark, there was no damage to the base or the roof! There were not even cracks in the plastic. I used pvc pipe to reattach the antenna, and it works fine.

Dave Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna broken off.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	77518
                      2016 Reflection 27RL
                      2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
                      B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Originally posted by Dave27 View Post
                        CloseToRetirement I had the same great experience with Flex Armor at the same facility near Kansas City. I wrote about it in: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...roof-installed They replaced the rotten plywood sheets, caused by leakage from a cut in the roof membrane when the AC was installed. They did a great job of documenting the problem. Guest they left the membrane in the front half of the camper in place. So half of their installation was over bare plywood and half over membrane.

One thing I want to add is how strong their product is. Shortly after we had the Flex Armor applied, we arrived at a campground after dark. We had never been there before, and I got mixed up and went down a road where campers don't normally go. I hit a dead branch that was just over 12 feet above ground. I didn't see it, but sure heard when my new antenna (same as CloseToRetirement added to his camper) hit it and broke the branch. The circular part of the antenna broke off. The plastic base that hold the antenna was completely covered with Flex Armor. The branch hit squarely on the base. Other than a scuff mark, there was no damage to the base or the roof! There were not even cracks in the plastic. I used pvc pipe to reattach the antenna, and it works fine.

Dave Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna broken off.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	77518
                        Hi Dave,

The following year we had a similar experience with a branch. We were out late March, very early for Minnesota, and the site they put us in was very unlevel. Once we got the coach level we had a branch on the curb side of the coach forward of the door that rubbed for two days. Due to the high winds those two days, the grounds crew would not go up on their lift to trim. I was pleasantly surprised after listening to that rub for two days my only findings were the dirt that was scrubbed off with no damage to the roof itself.

In April last year, I had the dealer reapply the ceramic coating to the coach as it had been 5 years since the first coatings. Upon arrival at the dealership, I explained what I had done in 2020 and there was no reason to inspect the roof but welcomed their team to take a look at what this roof was all about. The service manager came out and commented on what a great idea for the replacement roof. At the end of our first full season last year, when I covered the coach for winter hibernation, I am delighted with my decision.

Cheers,
                        Lyle
                        2018 Ford F350 DRW

Comment

Working...
                        X