Frameless dual pane windows, tinting and UV light filtration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frameless dual pane windows, tinting and UV light filtration

Does anyone know if the OEM window tinting on the frameless dual pane windows on the new Solitudes filters UV light and, if so, what percent?

Thanks!

Rob
    Rob & Laura
    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post
    Does anyone know if the OEM window tinting on the frameless dual pane windows on the new Solitudes filters UV light and, if so, what percent?

Thanks!

Rob
    Your Solitude has 3000 Series LCI windows. Support.lci1.com/windows

Under Product Components theres a 3000 Series Versatal...pdf. Doc says "Tempered glass 26% LT 3 mm".

LCI Customer Service may be able to fill in more details (let us know).
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Your Solitude has 3000 Series LCI windows. Support.lci1.com/windows

Under Product Components theres a 3000 Series Versatal...pdf. Doc says "Tempered glass 26% LT 3 mm".

LCI Customer Service may be able to fill in more details (let us know).
      Thanks, Howard. The info I was looking for was not in the LCI technical information... but while searching, I found several references where different RV manufacturers have put out inspection and possible recall notices regarding a faulty adhesive bond on the hinges of the LCI 3000 series windows manufactured in 2020 which could allow the window glass to detach and fall off. I have contacted LCI customer support with both questions and will report back when I hear something.

Rob
      Rob & Laura
      U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
      2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
      Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Our 2021 Imagine 2500RL has the usual 1970's window glass with tint, same as the cheapest trailer on the market today. I'm looking for someone who offers thermal pane or double pane windows that will replace the glass in our coach. I was extremely disappointed when I discovered that GD does not increase window thermal factors in the Cold Weather Package. I'd rather pay a bit extra for real thermal protection than pay for the propane that wouldn't be necessary if they had "real" windows. Twelve years ago I did the full time RV thing, taped bubble wrap to every window., and felt like I was living in a fish-bowl, and that sucked. Re the dark window "tint", it's for looks only, has no effect on UV rays, reflection, or pass through temps. It looks cool, but it's useless for anything other than preventing one from seeing what's inside. If you know of a vendor who offers dual pane replacements, please share. Thanks.
        Mark & Judy
        2021 F350 Lariat 4x4 7.3L Crew SB SRW
        2021 GD Imagine2500RL

Comment

That was quick... heard back from LCI: "We do have a recall on our 3000 series insulated windows that were manufactured between 01/06 through 01/23/2020. It is possible that your Solitude falls under these recall guidelines. We do require that a certified technician or dealer perform the inspection and/or replacement of your windows.

You may provide the service center with your case number, [xxxxxxxx] and we would be happy to coordinate any details with them."

I'm not sure which "service center" they're referring to, but I'm certainly going to follow this up. The email I received did not answer the UV filtration question.

Rob
          Rob & Laura
          U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
          Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by mbergthold View Post
            Our 2021 Imagine 2500RL has the usual 1970's window glass with tint, same as the cheapest trailer on the market today. I'm looking for someone who offers thermal pane or double pane windows that will replace the glass in our coach. I was extremely disappointed when I discovered that GD does not increase window thermal factors in the Cold Weather Package. I'd rather pay a bit extra for real thermal protection than pay for the propane that wouldn't be necessary if they had "real" windows. Twelve years ago I did the full time RV thing, taped bubble wrap to every window., and felt like I was living in a fish-bowl, and that sucked. Re the dark window "tint", it's for looks only, has no effect on UV rays, reflection, or pass through temps. It looks cool, but it's useless for anything other than preventing one from seeing what's inside. If you know of a vendor who offers dual pane replacements, please share. Thanks.
            GD does offer thermo pane windows but it is an option. The Cold Weather Package unfortunately does not include much, I do not even know if you can get a rig that does not have it. All that said I am not sure what would be required to convert your windows. I would think it would require a whole new window not just the glass.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

The aluminum frames used with the windows defeat, to some degree, any attempt to isolate the penetration of heat or cold into camper. Even with the quality tint I added to my camper's windows the frames still are blazing hot on the interior when the exterior of the window is exposed to the sun.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by mbergthold View Post
                Insulated windows are not offered as an option in the Imagine TT line. The price-point progression with Grand Design is Transcend/Xplor -> Imagine -> Reflection -> Solitude/Momentum. You're not going to find all the options on a $34K travel trailer that you would find on an $85K - $100K fifth wheel. It's the same with any manufacturer.

Rob
                Rob & Laura
                U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Thanks!

Rob
                  I know this goes beyond your question, but sometimes some added information is helpful in determining how to proceed.

Here is a discussion of what types of UV there are and how to block it. Eventually the two authorities seem to disagree, but it's just a misunderstanding.
                  https://www.doityourself.com/forum/d...rotection.html

Synopsis:
                  Clear Mylar-like film will block almost all of UVA (most common UV that fades your furniture or collectibles).
                  If you are looking to block heat, then you'll want to use a tinted Mylar-like film.

The discussion at the doityourself site mentions that tinting the INSIDE of dual pane windows will cause the window to fail from heat stress. Even though our Solitude windows are called dual pane, they are actually just two panes of glass put next to each other with no air space (edit: that's wrong, sorry), so tinting the inside shouldn't cause any window failure.
                  Last edited by pengle; 12-17-2020, 02:43 AM.
                  Pat and Karen
                  2021 Solitude 310GK, Full Body Paint, Dual Pane Windows, Heat Pump, Slide Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes, Splendide W/D Stacked Pair

Comment

Originally posted by pengle View Post

Even though our Solitude windows are called dual pane, they are actually just two panes of glass put next to each other with no air space, so tinting the inside shouldn't cause any window failure.
                    pengle
                    Good info on the mylar coatings, but from previous discussion with Grand Design folks, there is an inert gas filled gap between the panes of glass on their (LCI) "dual pane" windows. The glass thickness and the gap width are not as great as in similar residential dual pane glass construction, so residential insulation values do not apply. I would think that your point about tinted film on the inside glass raising the internal temperature, would still apply.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

My initial question did not have to do with aftermarket films on the glass (I've had the 3M crystalline film in the past). I was just wanting to know if the tinting built into the OEM glass blocked any UV and, if so, how much. Corresponding with LCI has not answered that question, but rather opened up the can of worms regarding the recall on the hinged windows with the adhesive issue.

Rob
                      Rob & Laura
                      U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                      Full time since 08/2015

Comment

My initial question did not have to do with aftermarket films on the glass (I've had the 3M crystalline film in the past). I was just wanting to know if the tinting built into the OEM glass blocked any UV and, if so, how much. Corresponding with LCI has not answered that question, but rather opened up the can of worms regarding the recall on the hinged windows with the adhesive issue.

Rob
                        Rob,

If you wear transition glasses, they will not darken if there is UV protection on the windows while looking into bright sunlight. Same with auto glass.

A dealer may have a rig on the lot with the windows of interest?

Jim
                        Last edited by Guest; 12-16-2020, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Rob,

If you wear transition glasses, they will not darken if there is UV protection on the windows while looking into bright sunlight. Same with auto glass.

A dealer may have a rig on the lot with the windows of interest?

Jim
                          Huh?

Rob
                          Rob & Laura
                          U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                          Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Rob,

If you wear transition glasses

Jim
                            a.k.a. Photochromic. I always thought of "transition" lenses as"bifocals' without the line and the darkening effect in bright light as " photograys". Semantics.
                            Robert and Chris
                            2021 XLS 22MLE (somewhat factory stock)
                            2018 Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Bob View Post

a.k.a. Photochromic. I always thought of "transition" lenses as"bifocals' without the line and the darkening effect in bright light as " photograys". Semantics.
                              You're thinking progressive lenses. "Transitions" is a brand name for lenses that change their light filtering density with exposure. Progressive lenses are those with the diopter values that change with the position in the lens with distance being at the top and a progressively stronger reading prescription in a pie-shaped wedge toward the bottom.

Rob
                              Rob & Laura
                              U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                              Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Working...
                              X