Stromberg Lend-A-Hand and Torklift Glowsteps on a '19 315RLTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stromberg Lend-A-Hand and Torklift Glowsteps on a '19 315RLTS

This mod was done back in May of '19 and documented on a different site, so this is definitely "old news" to those that have been around for awhile. But for the newer forum members I thought it was worth posting again. Significantly, I'd absolutely do these mods again. The Lend-A-Hand and Torklift Glowsteps are (for me, the DW and our two small pups) a fantastic combination on our 2019 315RLTS.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Stromberg Lend-A-Hand AM-533 is an exact fit replacement for the OEM handle on the 315RLTS with the minor exception that the Lend-A-Hand has two additional screws. But they were easy to install. (I drilled a small starter hole for the new screws. The new screw in the top "bit" into what felt like framework. The bottom one did not.)

I coated all six screws with silicone prior to installation to ensure I didn't inadvertently create a path for water to penetrate the trailer. I did *not* seal around the bases. The experience of others is sealing items like this are just as likely to create a dam to trap water as it is to seal them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Handles.JPG Views:	0 Size:	116.5 KB ID:	38083

Click image for larger version  Name:	Stromberg.JPG Views:	0 Size:	140.0 KB ID:	38084
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

This mod has been challenging to decide on - with the choices available. I have the small handrail and the Lippert solid step. There is a Camco screen door crossbar already on this rig. Was considering friction hinges to keep the door somewhat stationary during the decent.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1350.jpg Views:	0 Size:	110.9 KB ID:	129207

Was very close to getting the stair-mounted rail from Lippert, but did not like the way it narrowed the stair width - bolted to the inside of the stringer.

One amazon reviewer modified his to bolt on the outside of the steps - tempting solution, but I don't know aesthetically.

Click image for larger version  Name:	lippert handrail outside mt.png Views:	0 Size:	763.3 KB ID:	129208

Click image for larger version  Name:	lippert handrail outside mt 2.png Views:	0 Size:	490.6 KB ID:	129209

So now leaning toward your solution, Howson, with the larger Lend-a-hand unit. Just hoping it does not wobble as much as my current handle. The saddle the rail sits in does not seem to hold the rail very snuggly.
    Jeff & Janice
    2019 Solitude 377MBS, 5.5kW Onan, Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, EquaFlex/wetbolts, Triangle TRT01 LRG tires, Splendide W/D, Magnum Energy 3000W inverter/charger, 4-225AH-6V NPP AGM's, Winegard WiFi extender, RV airflow, Progressive Ind HW EMS, Andersen Ultimate Hitch​

Comment

over time the new handle is wobbly as you describe it. I'd consider Morryde's Saf-T-Rail if looking for a replacement.

https://www.morryde.com/products/safe-t-rail/
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The Extended Lend-a-Hand is an excellent mod that most people would definitely benefit from. I installed it, but in our case, the decreased lateral stability (wobble) was just too much for one of our campers. I put the (smaller) stock lend-a-hand back on and added the Lippert Solid Step Entry Assist (as pictured above) to the outside of the stair stringer. This set-up proved more robust for us and we haven't lost anyone over the step edge. We also found double horizontal rails on the screen door to be very helpful.

I like the concept of the Safe-T-Rail, but question the lateral stability at extension.

Mike
        Mike & Sonya
        2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
        Blue Ox SwayPro
        2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

I wish they made a step handle for the https://www.morryde.com/products/fli...rv-entry-step/ style steps that would bolt to the stairs. Not a fan of the ones that use the existing RV mounting area as the sidewall construction with the lever arm makes me cringe at the thought.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

There was an amazon warehouse deal on the Lend-a-hand extended handrail - so I went for it.

So far, I've just attached it with the 2 screws per location, as with the rail I removed. The product comes with slightly longer screws, and they seem to grab some additional meat in the wall. There is a 3rd hole provided, but as Howard noted some walls don't have the backing in place to hold well. The instructions say they are to be used by the OEM, who would have the ability to add backing material.​ I wonder if I should try the top screw at least.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1394.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.5 KB ID:	129393

As expected, there was some wobble side to side - most of this play was at the back of the rail/saddle, behind the swivel pin, with just a little in front of the saddle pin.
            What I did to tighten that movement up is add a nylon zip tie to the rail behind the pin at each location, and some harness tape in front of the pin.​

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1391.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.4 KB ID:	129394

Doing that secured the rail quite well. The zip tie must be slid forward when the rail is stowed, to allow it to settle into the saddle in that orientation - those slots are tighter. It's pretty simple to slide them. We'll see how this lasts.

Click image for larger version  Name:	folding.png Views:	0 Size:	825.2 KB ID:	129395

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1396.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.1 KB ID:	129396

I'm appreciating more the comments I've read about preserving the width - I do like having the rail where it is for room heading up and down these 24" stairs.
            Jeff & Janice
            2019 Solitude 377MBS, 5.5kW Onan, Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, EquaFlex/wetbolts, Triangle TRT01 LRG tires, Splendide W/D, Magnum Energy 3000W inverter/charger, 4-225AH-6V NPP AGM's, Winegard WiFi extender, RV airflow, Progressive Ind HW EMS, Andersen Ultimate Hitch​

Comment

To make the side wall mount more secure drill thru to the inside and install some longer bolts with a nice metal plate on the interior wall, just seal the holes with some silicone and you are done.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
              X