Solitude 2017 369rl Frame Outrigger Deflection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solitude 2017 369rl Frame Outrigger Deflection

Has anyone else experienced or noticed the outriggers deflecting (bending), particularly on the drivers side slide? If you read other manufacturers blogs, Jayco's for example, this is a common phenomenon. Only on Lippert chassis, don't know or want to speculate?

The floor was sloping down on the front, back and under the slide. This is a result of the outriggers deflecting down resulting in the floor drooping (& wall too no doubt). The service department at Grand Design says this is because of shock loading. No doubt because of the roads we travel on and our sojourn from western Canada to Arizona every winter (4x). Or because they were under-designed in the first place but I won't go there. Lippert sells replacement outriggers but had no instructions for replacing or repairing them. My dealer could do the work but would need to remove the slide to determine the root cause and then repair, 16 hours for r&r plus the repair.

My fix: I went to a commercial truck & trailer repair shop for their opinion and their suggestion was to use gussets (fish plates) and bolt & stitch weld them to the bent outriggers after the floor/wall was jacked up to straighten the outrigger. Much stronger. This was done to 7 (seven) outriggers on the drivers side, passenger side was ok. Shims could be added on top of the outriggers to bring the floor/wall to original level if/as required.

We have friends who make the trip to Arizona with us with a 2018 Solitude and their unit floor is drooping down as well and his outriggers are defecting to. Plus we know of another couple from Oregon who have had their 369rl back at the factory for a similar repair.

Long story short, the repair duration was ~8hours.

Ramjam Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry that I can't offer an intelligent response for your problem, but I saw that this is your first post and wanted to say hi, and let you know that the Moderators have created a page to help you get the most out of your experience on the forum. The letter can be found at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
    Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
    Nash County, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

It would be interesting for a structural engineer to do a stress analysis on those outriggers.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

TucsonJim -- what is meant by "outrigger" in the context of this thread? The slide mechanism associated with a through-frame hydraulic (or electric) slide?
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
          TucsonJim -- what is meant by "outrigger" in the context of this thread? The slide mechanism associated with a through-frame hydraulic (or electric) slide?
          Howard - The outriggers are a triangular shaped piece of metal that goes beween the frame and the outside wall. You can see a few of them in this photo from my 337.

Jim

Click image for larger version

Name:	Steel Plate.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	38507
          Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Yikes! Those are bending? That's a new one (to me at least).

Name:	outrigger.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	38513
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Howard - The outriggers are a triangular shaped piece of metal that goes beween the frame and the outside wall. You can see a few of them in this photo from my 337.

Jim

Name:	Steel Plate.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	38507
              Hi Jim. Met you in Quartzite. Yes, those are the outriggers that I was referring to. Question for you; did you install the sheet metal that I see under the slide?

Comment

Originally posted by Ramjam View Post

Hi Jim. Met you in Quartzite. Yes, those are the outriggers that I was referring to. Question for you; did you install the sheet metal that I see under the slide?
                Yes I did. I had a blowout which tore the heck out of that area. So I put stainless plate to protect it from future blowouts. Unfortunately, I lost the rig in a tow vehicle induced fire in 2016. Are you going to camp in Q again in February?

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie

Comment

My insulation fabric is breaking down and I'm looking at some type of covering that will protect the flooring without trapping moisture. It may not be SS but at least aluminum. A stress analysis would be a great follow up for GD. The slide on the drivers side is ~1000 lbs. heavier than the RHS plus the fridge and panty are located there to so even more weight when they're are packed with groceries. Interesting, none of the outriggers are bent on the RHS.

Comment

Working...
                  X