Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

exterior coating on Transcend, worth it or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exterior coating on Transcend, worth it or no?

We just ordered our first TT, a Transcend Xplor 297QB. The dealer is trying to sell us an interior/exterior protection package that includes an exterior coating the prevents the 'need to wax the trailer 2-3 times a year.' I have spent 2 years trying learn as much as I can about buying a TT and have never come across anything mentioning waxing an aluminum sided unit. Especially since it is going to be covered about 4-6 months a year. My gut tells me this is dealer snake oil and not worth the money, fortunately I do not have to decide until my trailer arrives. Has anyone used such services? Can anyone speak the claims of waxing the trailer?

Merry Christmas all, and thanks in advance!
    Jonathon, Sarah, Things 1, 2, & 3 Higham
    2020 Silverado 1500
    2021 Transcend Xplor 297QB

Merry Christmas, and welcome to the forum. Trust your gut. Snake oil is a great description.
    The GDRV Transcend owner' manual recommends waxing the RV exterior (except decals) every three months.
    I know you haven't received your unit yet, but the owner's manual is available on line. Go to the link below, and click on the 09/2020 Transcend version.
    https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...owners-manuals

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by jwhigham View Post
      We just ordered our first TT, a Transcend Xplor 297QB. The dealer is trying to sell us an interior/exterior protection package that includes an exterior coating the prevents the 'need to wax the trailer 2-3 times a year.' I have spent 2 years trying learn as much as I can about buying a TT and have never come across anything mentioning waxing an aluminum sided unit. Especially since it is going to be covered about 4-6 months a year. My gut tells me this is dealer snake oil and not worth the money, fortunately I do not have to decide until my trailer arrives. Has anyone used such services? Can anyone speak the claims of waxing the trailer?

Sounds like you were at the same dealer that we bought from. I did not buy the "exterior protectant" but did buy the interior one. The interior was some type of spray that covered everything inside , furniture , floor , walls , countertops. When we got home and opened up the new camper we found that the dinning chairs were stacked on top of each other so no protectant got on the chair seat pads. This is what is was suppose to protect if something got spilled on it. We decided not to drive back to dealer , 1-1/2 hour one way , to get resolved. In our opinion these items are usually dealer money makers. You could at sometime get your own protectants done at usually a better cost.

Welcome to the Forum.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I’ve been using MOTHERS CMX ceramic spray, can be found at any auto parts.Amazing product been using for 2 years .Repels like you’ve never seen.You can practically put it on anything.........
        2020 Momentum 25G
        2017 F250 gasser
        Jimmy Virginia Beach ,Va.

Comment

I use Mequiars Ultimate wash and wax. It works well with a great shine and its effortless to use.

Do not use too much as it will leave wax spots.

Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax - 48 oz. G17748: Advance Auto Parts

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jwhigham View Post

My answer to your question is, IMHO, I would not get the exterior/interior protection package. It is a dealer value added product that they profit well on when sold.

From an economics view I would ask how much it cost vs your time to wax or pay someone to wax. If you are covering it that much during the year I again would say no.

I would ask how long it lasts? How do you tell when it stops doing what it is supposed to be doing? How long do you plan on owning your TT?

For the interior you can buy scotchuard or other teflon protectent and spray your fabrics yourself.

I believe it all comes down to whether the protectent package provides 'value' to YOU. For me it's just another expense that I didn't want to pay for. We said NO to all the 'value added' packages that re offered on the sales sheet.
            Mike & Lisa
            Central Florida
            2021 Imagine 2970RL
            1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

I'm in the exact same boat as you, where we just purchased our first TT being a 297QB. Not only were we presented with an option for exterior / interior protection, but also vehicle undercoating for protection and rodent deterrence.

Definitely passing on the interior, probably passing on exterior, but the undercoating is where I'm really stuck on. Any suggestions on this service and how essential it is? It's crazy expensive at the dealer, but at the same time I don't know how much I'm keen on purchasing and trying to apply some of this stuff on myself if essential. We plan on being three-season campers only, with the TT sitting in outdoor storage over the colder winter months.
              Steven L
              2021 Transcend 297QB
              2021 Ford F-250

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowCamper View Post
                I'm in the exact same boat as you, where we just purchased our first TT being a 297QB. Not only were we presented with an option for exterior / interior protection, but also vehicle undercoating for protection and rodent deterrence.

Definitely passing on the interior, probably passing on exterior, but the undercoating is where I'm really stuck on. Any suggestions on this service and how essential it is? It's crazy expensive at the dealer, but at the same time I don't know how much I'm keen on purchasing and trying to apply some of this stuff on myself if essential. We plan on being three-season campers only, with the TT sitting in outdoor storage over the colder winter months.
                I’m a firm non-believer in undercoatings. You can google South Main Auto’s YouTube channel and look for vehicles in NY state that have had undercoatings. ALL of them are a rust disaster a few years down the road. Your money is much better spent on a good spray nozzle for your garden hose.
                2021 Reflection 31MB
                2020 F350 6.7L Diesel SRW
                Former 2018 Imagine 2800BH

Comment

Originally posted by simpsrw View Post

I’m a firm non-believer in undercoatings. You can google South Main Auto’s YouTube channel and look for vehicles in NY state that have had undercoatings. ALL of them are a rust disaster a few years down the road. Your money is much better spent on a good spray nozzle for your garden hose.
                  Noted that was your first post, so just a note to say "Hi" and (though it appears you've already read it!) point out the Welcome Letter to New Members https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by simpsrw View Post

Wow, that was quite a video to watch. Thanks, I think my decision is made with a hard pass.
                    Steven L
                    2021 Transcend 297QB
                    2021 Ford F-250

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Noted that was your first post, so just a note to say "Hi" and (though it appears you've already read it!) point out the Welcome Letter to New Members https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
                      Thanks Howard - Yeah, just waiting on both the TT and TV to arrive from factory now. So much to learn!
                      Steven L
                      2021 Transcend 297QB
                      2021 Ford F-250

Comment

Working...
                      X