Undercoating on TT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Undercoating on TT?

We just purchased our first ever RV, a Transcend 297QB. A lot of questions sure to come up and we discover this world. For starters, as we finalize the sale of the unit, the F&I Manager is offering undercoating to the unit for protection and to deter mice. I think I know what my response will be to exterior and interior protection, but I'm really not sure how essential it is to undercoat this unit (especially since it will be sitting in outdoor storage over the winter months).

Any suggestions to the first of what I'm sure will be many questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
    Steven L
    2021 Transcend 297QB
    2021 Ford F-250

I have not heard of this "undercoating" process before. If the unit you are purchasing has been delivered on salty roads I would make sure that your dealer has thoroughly cleaned the undercarriage of the nasty salt. As far as the mice deterrent , I can not answer that.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

According to the sales document, it’s a “durable vulcanized rubber based coating that seals off common entry points for mice and other rodents”, and “... is specially formulated to preserve an RV’s most vulnerable, high-impact areas. It is pliable so it won’t crack, peel, or chip...also helps insulate against extreme temperatures.”

I get the marketing aspect behind this stuff, but actually kind of on the fence on this, especially since I don’t know how prone TT’s are to critters coming in.
      Steven L
      2021 Transcend 297QB
      2021 Ford F-250

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowCamper View Post
        According to the sales document, it’s a “durable vulcanized rubber based coating that seals off common entry points for mice and other rodents”, and “... is specially formulated to preserve an RV’s most vulnerable, high-impact areas. It is pliable so it won’t crack, peel, or chip...also helps insulate against extreme temperatures.”

I get the marketing aspect behind this stuff, but actually kind of on the fence on this, especially since I don’t know how prone TT’s are to critters coming in.
        Do you have a link to this information? , I am curious to read about this product.

All RV's are prone to rodents moving in. They will find even the smallest hole to get into. There are plenty of items that owners use to keep them out , we have a cat and use indoor storage. Keeping any food items out of the RV and well cleaned will also help to keep the critters out.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

We just purchased our first ever RV, a Transcend 297QB. A lot of questions sure to come up and we discover this world. For starters, as we finalize the sale of the unit, the F&I Manager is offering undercoating to the unit for protection and to deter mice. I think I know what my response will be to exterior and interior protection, but I'm really not sure how essential it is to undercoat this unit (especially since it will be sitting in outdoor storage over the winter months).

Any suggestions to the first of what I'm sure will be many questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
          This is what I used on my 297RSTS for rust on the frame. I expect to apply it every couple of years and it keeps the frame from forming rust. There was some lite rust on the frame but this penetrates the rust and protects the metal. I have it professionally sprayed on my car and truck with a lifetime warranty. The trailer is open and easy to do so I did it myself with the kit.

https://corrosionfree.com/store/rust...v=3e8d115eb4b3

As for the mice I have heard of a mouse deterant spray that needs to be done every year. It is pretty expensive. I had mice one year in the last 16 and it was a bit of work to clean up but not sure if the mouse free spray here is worth it or how well it works.

https://mouse-free.com/

Just my .02 worth.

Rob
          Rob & Barb
          2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
          2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Do you have a link to this information? , I am curious to read about this product.

All RV's are prone to rodents moving in. They will find even the smallest hole to get into. There are plenty of items that owners use to keep them out , we have a cat and use indoor storage. Keeping any food items out of the RV and well cleaned will also help to keep the critters out.

Brian
            Sorry Brian; I was only given the F&I brochure on these services / protection packages from the dealership. There is no mention of what the specific product is (not surprising since then I could look it up and discover the true cost). My quotes above were the most descriptive details of the product provided.

Wondering if anyone has purchased an option like this and if it’s worthwhile, versus aftermarket products like Rob listed.
            Steven L
            2021 Transcend 297QB
            2021 Ford F-250

Comment

An undercoating to deter mice doesn’t make a lot of sense. Even a thick coating is not going to close an opening that a mouse can get through. Most of the underbelly is covered with a plastic material called coroplast. Coating this with paint is not going to improve anything. To Country Campers Brian’s point, if the frame has salt on it due to travel from the factory, undercoating could seal this salt to the frame . . . making things worse.

This sounds like a “profit opportunity” by your dealer.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I'll just say it is not something I would spend my money on. In order to seal gaps are they going to drop the coroplast to seal pipe and cable penetrations?

What kind of protection/warranty comes with this undercoating? If you are financing your trailer purchase you will be paying interest on this purchase for the next 7-15 years.
                Mike & Lisa
                Central Florida
                2021 Imagine 2970RL
                1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

ShadowCamper -- I'd also be concerned about the weight added with that coating. You'll be surprised how easy it is to consume the cargo-carrying capacity of a travel trailer. I don't have proof, but my first thought was "snake oil".

I'll pile on to what the others have written and urge a thorough inspection of that trailer's undercarriage before signing any paperwork. I've read too many horror stories over the years of unsuspecting, starry-eyed new owners that unwittingly buy a rust bucket because the undercarriage was never washed upon deliver from the factory after traveling over heavily salted roads. Below is an old picture of a new (at the time) 2017 Reflection and look what the owner found after getting it home.

Click image for larger version

Name:	new with rust.JPG
Views:	574
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	39280
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks all for the repeated guidance on delivery. The order goes in this week so it could very well be delivered on salty roads. I think there are various PDI guides on this site I should familiarize myself with.

I also think for now I’ll treat this like a car purchase and pass on all F&I products; see how it goes.
                    Steven L
                    2021 Transcend 297QB
                    2021 Ford F-250

Comment

A big source of the salt induced rust damage is the complete lack of a suitable primer and then followed by a reasonable coat of paint. The frame maker will just apply enough black paint over bare metal to make the frame black and that's it.

Its best to wait for some rust formation then follow up with a rust neutralizing material and then with a couple coats of good quality paint. I've used Rustolium but honestly I believe the best product may be Corroseal which was recommended by the late Chief Blue Man, Kim.

Corroseal Industrial-coatings Interior or Exterior Multi-Purpose Water-Based Primer (1-Gallon) in the Primer department at Lowes.com

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                        ShadowCamper -- I'd also be concerned about the weight added with that coating. You'll be surprised how easy it is to consume the cargo-carrying capacity of a travel trailer. I don't have proof, but my first thought was "snake oil".

I'll pile on to what the others have written and urge a thorough inspection of that trailer's undercarriage before signing any paperwork. I've read too many horror stories over the years of unsuspecting, starry-eyed new owners that unwittingly buy a rust bucket because the undercarriage was never washed upon deliver from the factory after traveling over heavily salted roads. Below is an old picture of a new (at the time) 2017 Reflection and look what the owner found after getting it home.

Click image for larger version

Name:	new with rust.JPG
Views:	574
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	39280
                        How did you get a picture of my "17" 303RLS? I got more Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0284[1].JPG
Views:	679
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	41009Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0283[1].JPG
Views:	607
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	41010Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0282[1].JPG
Views:	599
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	41011Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0268[1].JPG
Views:	607
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	41012 This is not just failure to wash off the undercarriage of the rig, but it begins with the builder of the frame. In My Humble Opinion the frame was never sand blasted to get an anchor profile prior to coatings being applied. And before someone mentions electrostatic coatings and or Powder coatings The Substrate still needs to be prepped correctly, sandblasted, for the coatings to stick. Any coatings will peal off of a smooth surface and shape edges. Bought it in 2019 was only used 5 times owner said, campground next to the Gulf of Mexico. Didn't think to ask if they rinsed it off, being from Florida I thought they knew better.
                        John and Teresa
                        "19" 2500 HD GMC Sierra Duramax SLT.
                        "17" 303RLS

Comment

Jbandtbone

Those additional pictures are some of the worst corrosion I've seen on an undercarriage--wow. Regarding the picture: I remembered our conversation from long ago and hunted down the image based on what I could remember.

For others reading this thread and post: what I did to treat and protect my trailer's undercarriage, along with a discussion on different types of sealants, is here https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...t-on-the-frame

I don't recall what you did to get it fixed, John. If you're willing to rehash a four-year-old experience, it may help inform another new owner.

Howard
                          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                            Jbandtbone

Those additional pictures are some of the worst corrosion I've seen on an undercarriage--wow. Regarding the picture: I remembered our conversation from long ago and hunted down the image based on what I could remember.

For others reading this thread and post: what I did to treat and protect my trailer's undercarriage, along with a discussion on different types of sealants, is here https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...t-on-the-frame

I don't recall what you did to get it fixed, John. If you're willing to rehash a four-year-old experience, it may help inform another new owner.

Howard
                            Howard,
                            Please to met you sir. we have not talked before so can't rehash, that is not a pic of my rig, but as you can see I've got the same issues of a bad prep work won't save a good coating system. I've been hanging out trying to learn to much to fast. My story is this : We bought the rig slightly used in 2019, previous owner only been out camping 5 times in it. But camped next to the Gulf of Mexico. And not sure but doesn't look like they washed the undercarriage after going home. Sorry for the mix up. I just couldn't resist, "I'll pile on to what the others have written and urge a thorough inspection of that trailer's undercarriage before signing any paperwork." jumping in on this one.
                            John and Teresa
                            "19" 2500 HD GMC Sierra Duramax SLT.
                            "17" 303RLS

Comment

Working...
                            X