Drill vs Impact for manual stabilizers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill vs Impact for manual stabilizers

I ran a search on "stabilizer" and came up with nothing so here goes. Is a drill or impact driver preferred for running sbailizer jack up and down, and for any particular reasons?

Some background, I used to run a satellite transmission truck built on a Sprinter chassis and it had two scissor style stabilizer jacks (without which a strong wind could rock the van enough to lose working signals), and I used an impact to drive those jacks. I never had any issues and used them far more frequently then I intend to use my TT in first the year or so, but also I didn't bear the financial responsibility for maintenance of that vehicle. This question arises as I am shopping for my Day 1 gear and am trying to decide which drill brand I want to try to the TT. I have Hitachi in the garage, but am not really into the changes wince they changed to Metabo. I see the TT as a relatively harmless platform to 'audition' a new tool brand to see if I want to move for full tool replacement in the future.
    Jonathon, Sarah, Things 1, 2, & 3 Higham
    2020 Silverado 1500
    2021 Transcend Xplor 297QB

Originally posted by jwhigham View Post
    I ran a search on "stabilizer" and came up with nothing so here goes. Is a drill or impact driver preferred for running sbailizer jack up and down, and for any particular reasons?

Some background, I used to run a satellite transmission truck built on a Sprinter chassis and it had two scissor style stabilizer jacks (without which a strong wind could rock the van enough to lose working signals), and I used an impact to drive those jacks. I never had any issues and used them far more frequently then I intend to use my TT in first the year or so, but also I didn't bear the financial responsibility for maintenance of that vehicle. This question arises as I am shopping for my Day 1 gear and am trying to decide which drill brand I want to try to the TT. I have Hitachi in the garage, but am not really into the changes wince they changed to Metabo. I see the TT as a relatively harmless platform to 'audition' a new tool brand to see if I want to move for full tool replacement in the future.
    I use an 18v Dewalt drill for my jacks. No impact driver. I selected Dewalt because that is what I have in the garage.

I don't feel a driver or impact is necessary. Plus they can be pretty noisy.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

As Mike shared in post #2, when we had our TT we used a drill. Modern versions over the last decade or so have all the power necessary and can run stab. jacks up or down quickly. Folks who used impacts really know how to disturb the peace and wake the dead.

In fact just this last fall, we had a couple camp next to us who arrived after dark having to set up with a flashlight. The impact he brought out and used for four jacks really (did I say really !) put a damper on our quiet evening around the campfire.........not a good thing to endear one with fellow campers enjoying the quiet evening !

Dan
      Last edited by Canyonlight; 01-08-2021, 03:34 PM.
      Dan & Carol
      2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
      2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

I agree with the above posts. Impact drivers are way too noisy and just not needed.

Drill driver is fine. Make sure it has metal gears (most of the new ones do). Also lithium is better. I bought a fairly cheap one from harbor freight. Cheap enough that if anything happens to it I won't cry.
        Charles and Susan
        2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
        Andersen Hitch
        2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

jwhigham -- I'll add my voice to the "drill only" crowd. In addition, set the torque limiter to a middle range so there's little chance of damaging the stabilizer when it reaches the limit.

What Do The Numbers And Symbols On Cordless Drills Mean

Click image for larger version  Name:	pics of drill.JPG Views:	0 Size:	64.1 KB ID:	39655
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I might be the only one out there, but I use my 'strong-arm drill', and manually crank the stabilizers up and down as needed. One tip my father in law told me to get more pressure on the rear jacks when doing this method is to first keep the trailer nose down very slightly, put the rear stabilizers down, and then bring the nose up to level. After that, put your front stabilizers down.

If I ever join the drill club, I would too use just a drill versus the impact, with the clutch turned down like howson suggested. You gotta love the group that shows up next to you, doesn't put anything under the stabilizer like a 6x6 block or something, and has to impact their stabilizers all the way to the ground. (Can you hear the impact's 'drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr' noise in your head yet? ​​​​​​​)
            2019 Imagine 2400BH
            2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

I do the combo method. I use the drill to bring the jacks in contact with my blocks. Then go around with the manual wrench and put a little more pressure on them.
              Mike & Lisa
              Central Florida
              2021 Imagine 2970RL
              1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

I carry an impact wrench because it can be used for much more than just cranking down stabilizers. You can use it to tighten or loosen lug nuts. Or cranking in a slide that has malfunctioned.
                David&Leslie
                2021 Reflection 303RLS
                2019 Ram 2500 6.4L

Comment

Originally posted by David Frederick View Post
                  I carry an impact wrench because it can be used for much more than just cranking down stabilizers. You can use it to tighten or loosen lug nuts. Or cranking in a slide that has malfunctioned.
                  You're right--impacts are extremely useful! I have one in the trailer's tool box, too. However, IMHO it's not the best choice for raising or lowering a stabilizer. Inadvertently "impacting" at the end of the stabilizer's stroke can easily damage the threads.
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                    However, IMHO it's not the best choice for raising or lowering a stabilizer. Inadvertently "impacting" at the end of the stabilizer's stroke can easily damage the threads.
                    Agreed. Gotta get your mind straight and put that setting on "drive" about #4 or #5, like you stated above.
                    Still, I use my hand crank when I get too lazy to pull out the drill. Besides, maybe it's just me but after using my drill, I set my other stabilizers and then "snug" the four corners with the crank.

OK so I'm OCD......

Robert and Chris
                    2021 XLS 22MLE (somewhat factory stock)
                    2018 Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by jwhigham View Post

I have used both a battery operated drill, and a battery powered impact driver. I found the Impact driver to be much faster than the drill, and so I ran them down with short "bursts" until they touched the blocks and then finished with the manual wrench. After a few times of doing it, I just put the drill and impact driver away and went to using the manual wrench exclusively and that's what I am doing now.

Bob
                      Bob & Lynne

2020 Imagine 2970RL
                      2019 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali HD 4x4 Duramax

Comment

I have the easy button " Auto Level". Prior to this fancy new RV our previous TT had the screw down stabilizers on which I only used the provided wrench. The drill would be the most quietest method and I have heard the impacts running in plenty of campgrounds , a friend of ours that we camp with uses one. To each there own , drill is easy and quite , wrench would work as well.
                        YMMV

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                        X