Roof and Exterior treatments and cleaning detergents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof and Exterior treatments and cleaning detergents

I've got an Imagine 2600RB and need to put it in storage. I can't find any available enclosed storage near me in Kansas City with availability so I want to do a thorough cleaning and treatment (if needed) to the exterior and roof.
    1. What cleaning detergents/agent are acceptable for the exterior and/or roof? And where might I find them?
    2. Should I do a UV cleaning/protectant on the roof? What kind of roof is on a 2021 Grand Design Imagine 2600RB?
    3. I'm thinking about draping it with a large tarp while storing it in gated exposed open parking, is this acceptable?
    Thanks in advance for any help or assistance.

Mike

I was told by Grand Design not to use any cleaning agents on the roof, only use something like Spic & Span, and I use diluted vinegar and water. The roof on Solitudes and Refections is a rubber roof. I bought an Adco cover for my Solitude. Not an easy job to put on but a lot easier than cleaning off winter residue.

Rich
    Rich & Shari Clark, Surrey, BC
    2019 310GK, Added Furion Observation Camera, Hitch Receiver to come.
    2016 GMC 3500 Duramax Denali

Comment

Do not use any products other than a mild detergent and a medium bristle brush to clean your roof. Do not use any aftermarket roof products to "protect" it. Here are the cleaning instructions from Alpha Systems.

https://forestriverinc.com/files/Com...aintenance.pdf

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Is there and "easy" way to clean the roof? I just spent 2 hrs on my hands and knees (had to lay on stomach to do slides) cleaning the roof on my Ref 303. My soft bristle brush that I use to wash the sides does not do a good job cleaning the roof. I have a Mr. Clean brush about the size of my hand that I used instead. It just takes forever as you do about a 4' wide swath edge to edge, rinse, move back, repeat.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
          Is there and "easy" way to clean the roof? I just spent 2 hrs on my hands and knees (had to lay on stomach to do slides) cleaning the roof on my Ref 303. My soft bristle brush that I use to wash the sides does not do a good job cleaning the roof. I have a Mr. Clean brush about the size of my hand that I used instead. It just takes forever as you do about a 4' wide swath edge to edge, rinse, move back, repeat.
          Yep. Run a soft bristle brush on a long handle (so you can stand while cleaning) across the roof (once) and whatever is removed is removed. Takes all of 15 minutes with a squirt bottle of Dawn soap and a hose. I do take another 20 minutes or so (and on hands and knees) to closely scrutinize every seam and every possible point of water intrusion for an issue. Not fun. If I find something that needs attention it gets thoroughly cleaned before the application of more Alpha sealant.

I once scrubbed and cleaned the roof until it looked new. Not any more--not worth the time and effort IMO. My roof is not, nor ever will be, "perfectly clean" again. YMMV
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson Howard, by no means does it look new. But I did manage to get 95% of the stains up. My soft brush just did not get enough of the "dust" up and out of the texture.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

I would not consider putting a tarp over the trailer. Tarps hold moisture, which can lead to mold and mildew. If you use a cover designed for an RV, they will let moisture evaporate while having a barrier that will keep moisture from penetrating from outside the cover.
              Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
              Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
              2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
              Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
              Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

If I find something that needs attention it gets thoroughly cleaned before the application of more Alpha sealant.
                There was a thread recently on roof self leveling caulk. I can't remember if the consensus was that Dicor caulk could be used on an Alpha roof. I ask because I have a brand new tube of Dicor. Any opinions??

2020 Reflection 273MK
                2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post

There was a thread recently on roof self leveling caulk. I can't remember if the consensus was that Dicor caulk could be used on an Alpha roof. I ask because I have a brand new tube of Dicor. Any opinions??
                  I think the short answer is NO. Use the proper Alpha Systems caulk for TPO roofs. It's what the roof manufacturer recommends.

How much did you pay for your rig? And you're going to worry about wasting a $10 tube of caulk? Buy the right stuff and not worry about it.

Charles and Susan
                  2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
                  Andersen Hitch
                  2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Originally posted by ckreef View Post

I think the short answer is NO. Use the proper Alpha Systems caulk for TPO roofs. It's what the roof manufacturer recommends.

How much did you pay for your rig? And you're going to worry about wasting a $10 tube of caulk? Buy the right stuff and not worry about it.

I didn't say or imply I had worried about it. Really haven't given it much thought, much less the 10 bucks. Just curious.

I needed to call Grand Design about another issue this afternoon. Asked the customer service rep about it and he said it would be fine to use the Dicor caulk and it would have no affect on the warranty. Who knows..................
                    2020 Reflection 273MK
                    2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

I use murphy's oil soap with warm water lite bristle brush after it dry's I use aerospace 303 works and looks great when done. Actually beads water!

Comment

I would like to know what Grand Design recommends for treating the roof after cleaning. Does anyone else recommend the Aerospace 303?

Comment

I use Dawn for washing just about anything I'm concerned may not tolerate any sort of harsh chemicals.... and from what JIm & Howard have posted it was a good choice for the roof.
                          My other concern was the seals on the slides and making sure I didn't use something that would cause them to "age" or otherwise lose how effective they are.
                          Chris
                          Chris
                          2019 Solitude 3740BH
                          2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

Comment

Working...
                          X