Added Maintenance Item - Zip Ties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Added Maintenance Item - Zip Ties

While doing some maintenance on the exterior of the RV today, I noticed that GDRV uses about $27,582.16 worth of zip ties on our rigs. They attach wiring, harnesses, pipes, and right handed ratchet bearings with zip ties. They use black Amish zip ties that are supposed to be UV resistant. Now my rig is parked in Arizona where the UV light can burn you in 16.2 seconds, even in the shade. The zip ties that GDRV put in my coach are now over four years old. If you touch them, they shatter like Ginnie's vase that I br.... (nevermind).

So anyway, I flopped on my back and started snipping and replacing zip ties. One neighbor was concerned when they saw me laying on my back and cussing. They offered to call 911, but I very politely declined. I nearly filled a five gallon bucket with the old zip ties I cut off.

Seriously, I might be exaggerating just a tad. It was more likely about a dozen or so. But several of them were attaching electrical and gas lines to the springs that go to the slide outs. If those fail, the wires or gas lines can droop or snag on something. So I'd recommend that you replace the ties every year or two as part of your preventive maintenance.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

If someone is down under their trailer replacing zip ties, perhaps think about looking for any wires or gas lines that could be in the line of fire for rocks that are kicked up and wrap them with split loom. I wrapped our cabling in the front of the trailer for the batteries, the TV plug cable, and the propane line that ran the entire length down the trailer in the stuff for a little added protection from road debris.
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      I might be exaggerating just a tad.
      Ya think? LOL
      There are stainless steel "zip" ties (check Amazon) to make the attachments more permanent. You just have to make sure that the metal tie is not a source of chafe.

Rob

Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I noticed that GDRV uses about $27,582.16 worth of zip ties on our rigs.
        Hmmmm..50% of the cost of my rig is in zip ties..lol

We have black and white ty-wraps here at work. While I have heard that the black ones are supposed to be more UV resistant, in practice I see no difference between the two. We have red oil resistant ty-wraps as well and they actually do seem to last quite a bit longer than the other two when exposed to oil.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Thanks TucsonJim for the tip. Another thing to add to my list of maintenance items that just keeps growing even after nearly 17 years of owning a trailer.

Cate&Rob thanks for the tip about stainless steel ones. I will have to look into that as well. These days I try to keep as many things as maintenance free as possible.

Another Rob
          Rob & Barb
          2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
          2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Originally posted by Calbar View Post
            Thanks TucsonJim for the tip. Another thing to add to my list of maintenance items that just keeps growing even after nearly 17 years of owning a trailer.

Cate&Rob thanks for the tip about stainless steel ones. I will have to look into that as well. These days I try to keep as many things as maintenance free as possible.

Another Rob
            Harbor Freight has the stainless ties. $7 for 25 12” ties. I have used them when building garden trellises and dog kennels from livestock panels, and have some that have been outdoors under tension for 12 years with no deterioration. They are fairly sharp on the edges, so you need to be smart where you use them.

I carry some in my truck and tractor. Very useful for holding things together until you can get someplace to actually address a problem.
            John & Kathy
            2014 Reflection 303RLS
            2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post

Harbor Freight has the stainless ties. $7 for 25 12” ties. I have used them when building garden trellises and dog kennels from livestock panels, and have some that have been outdoors under tension for 12 years with no deterioration. They are fairly sharp on the edges, so you need to be smart where you use them.

I carry some in my truck and tractor. Very useful for holding things together until you can get someplace to actually address a problem.
              I wish I'd posted about the zip tie deterioration before I replaced them all. Oh well, the next time I tackle this project, I'll use the stainless version.

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Thanks. Next time I am in the US on vacation I will be sure to look at Harbor Freight for these. Hopefully in the spring when I pull out the trailer mine will still be good so I can get these once the border opens.

Rob
                Rob & Barb
                2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Calbar
                  Amazon (.ca) for us Canadians . . .
                  https://www.amazon.ca/Wocst-Pieces-S...ag=googcana-20
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Saw this video a few months ago, he tests the UV of different zip ties.

https://youtu.be/XMfOwPuN0Ao
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                      Thanks Rob,
                      Rob
                      Rob & Barb
                      2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

I wish I'd posted about the zip tie deterioration before I replaced them all. Oh well, the next time I tackle this project, I'll use the stainless version.

Jim
                        Princess Auto has them as well. Theirs are 8”, 20 in a package for C$11.99. The 8” might be a better length
                        John & Kathy
                        2014 Reflection 303RLS
                        2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Princess Auto has them as well. Theirs are 8”, 20 in a package for C$11.99. The 8” might be a better length
                          Thanks Jkwilson I will have to look there as well next time I go.

Rob
                          Rob & Barb
                          2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

After doing a little reading, it appears that the stainless zip ties are conductive. I'm a little hesitant to use them to secure wires in place Do they have edges that are sharp enough to cut through insulation if the right conditions occurred?

Jim
                            Jim and Ginnie

Comment

After doing a little reading, it appears that the stainless zip ties are conductive. I'm a little hesitant to use them to secure wires in place Do they have edges that are sharp enough to cut through insulation if the right conditions occurred?

Jim
                              Yes, they could if there was flexing motion or the wire was being pulled at an angle.
                              John & Kathy
                              2014 Reflection 303RLS
                              2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Working...
                              X