Added Maintenance Item - Zip Ties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
    After doing a little reading, it appears that the stainless zip ties are conductive. I'm a little hesitant to use them to secure wires in place Do they have edges that are sharp enough to cut through insulation if the right conditions occurred?

Jim
    Definitely. I would not use metallic ty-wraps on electrical. Or if I did I would wrap the wires and/or pex with some sort of protective sheath or rubber.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      After doing a little reading, it appears that the stainless zip ties are conductive. I'm a little hesitant to use them to secure wires in place Do they have edges that are sharp enough to cut through insulation if the right conditions occurred?

Jim
      I think I would be putting conduit around the wires before fastening them with metal tie straps.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

I think I would be putting conduit around the wires before fastening them with metal tie straps.

Rob
        For example, I have 10AWG wires on the roof for the solar panels. I attach the wire to the mounting brackets so it's not dancing all over the roof when I'm headed down the highway. I've never seen anybody put solar wires in conduit. But I'm guessing it could be done. I think on this application, I'll just check the nylon zip ties when I'm doing my quarterly roof maintenance. You can see one of the ties in the photo below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	800W 13.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	39778

Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Ya think? LOL
          There are stainless steel "zip" ties (check Amazon) to make the attachments more permanent. You just have to make sure that the metal tie is not a source of chafe.

Rob
          This reminds me of when Jim "picked up" the excess thousands of staples used for the carpeting !

Dan
          Dan & Carol
          2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
          2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post

This reminds me of when Jim "picked up" the excess thousands of staples used for the carpeting !

Dan
            Oh man I think of I melted down the staples I've pulled out of my bedroom floor I could build a car.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

This is just great! One more item on the "to do list" which is already pages long. I think I will take up fishing from shore , only need a fishing pole , some bait , a chair and a cooler. This list is much smaller than the RV list for sure.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post

Dan
                There may have been thousands of staples in the carpet, but there bajillions holding the cabinet hardware in place:

Name:	Staples 2.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	39829
                Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

On the topic of staples, when we reupholstered the dining table chairs, we had to remove over 250 staples per chair ! The staples were side-by-side as if the installer just held down the trigger and ran the stapler around the perimeter of the seat bottom. The attached picture is the staples removed from one chair seat cover.

Rob

Name:	IMG_1229.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	39855
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                  X