Outer Skylight Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outer Skylight Replacement

While performing roof maintenance last week, I noticed that our two skylights are starting to yellow due to UV light and age. So I determined that it was time to tackle replacement. Over the years, I've tried to deal with the amount of light and heat that enters through the skylights. The clear skylights are quite problematic in the Arizona sunshine. I tried putting a tinted film on the inner dome in the past, and it caused unintended consequences due to the heat that was trapped between the inner and outer dome. I also tried using foam cushions and shades to control the heat and light with minimal success.

So I was able to find a dark tinted skylight on-line that fit the existing opening very well. Here's a link to the ones I purchased.
    https://www.amazon.com/Class-Customs...993624&sr=8-21

Removal and replacement was not too tough and took about two hours to do one.

Step 1 - I used a dull chisel to remove the old lap sealant from the flange of the existing skylight. Then, I was able to very carefully use my fingers and a putty knife to remove the sealant from the roofing membrane. If using tools on the membrane, you want to be very careful to keep from damaging the membrane. I was surprised how pliable the sealant was after 4-1/2 years. No matter how careful I was, the roofing material was stretched and bubbled where the old lap sealant was attached.

Click image for larger version  Name:	18.jpg Views:	30 Size:	72.2 KB ID:	40374

Step 2 - Remove the existing skylight. There were 19 screws that were used to hold the skylight in place (kind of). Some of the screws were punched all the way through the skylight flange. One screw completely missed the plastic flange and went right in the roof, and one screw cracked the corner of the flange (Photo below). Once the screws were removed, I gently pulled on the skylight and it came off the butyl tape that was between the flange and the roofing membrane.

Click image for larger version  Name:	13.jpg Views:	25 Size:	65.4 KB ID:	40375

Step 3 - Clean, inspect and prepare the roofing membrane. Inspection of the roofing membrane revealed some staples that weren't fully seated or missed the wood and were just hanging in a void. I seated the staples with a hammer and removed those that weren't attached to anything. Then, I cleaned the roofing material with a mild detergent/water mix and a rag. Next, I used a wall paper roller to try and get the membrane to stick to the plywood roof. This was not very successful. But the new skylight and lap sealant will hold everything in place.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	6.jpg Views:	24 Size:	47.1 KB ID:	40376

Step 4 - Position the new skylight. Lay the skylight over the hole and position it exactly where you want it. Mark the location with a permanent marker. Remove the skylight and place a seam of new butyl tape on the underside of the flange over the screw holes. Next, line up the skylight with the marks you made on the roof and press it into place. Be careful on this step. It will adhere pretty tightly, and you want to make sure you have it in the right position on the first try.

Step 5 - Screw down the skylight. You'll want to be careful to make sure you properly screw it down. Not too tight, and not too loose. I used my cordless driver and watched for the flange to just start to deform and for the butyl tape to start spreading. If you tighten it up too much, you can punch the screw head through the flange or squeeze out all the butyl tape.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	24 Size:	45.2 KB ID:	40377

Step Six - Apply new lap sealant. I used Alpha Systems Super Flex beige self leveling lap sealant. I used enough to cover the screws, a portion of the flange and the wrinkles that remained on the roofing material. Note: It will take about 1-1/2 tubes of sealant for one skylight.

Results - There was a significant reduction of light coming in the skylight. Once we heat back up, I'll see if there is also a reduction in heat. I ran out of lap sealant, so the skylight in the bathroom will have to wait until I get more.

Jim
    Last edited by howson; 01-18-2021, 04:52 PM. Reason: Added "modification" tag as this will be in v9 of the list!
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

TucsonJim nice job and thanks for providing such complete information. I am assuming since your 297 is a year or so older than mine that I will likely need to replace mine in a year or so as well. I don't want to wait for a brittle skylight to break in the middle of winter or something and then have a water issue.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Nice find. Will watch your heat results. Hopefully you have a benchmark.
      2018 337RLS
      720w solar, 100/50 scc 1500w psw 2 battleborn
      disc brakes, ems

Comment

TucsonJim ,
        Update, please!

Do you like them? Any lessons learned? I'm considering doing these to cut down on the heat transfer (if it does indeed help).

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Very nicely detailed write-up.

John
          Last edited by J & J Bumblebee; 04-12-2021, 10:08 AM.
          John & Jurie

Caretakers for Coco and Daisy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
          2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
          ​​​​​​​2021 Transcend 260RB
          2017 Jayco 26BH
          2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS

Comment

Howard, When I made the deal on the 303 they did not replace, but covered mine with a tinted one (not as dark as I wanted). If you skylight is still in good shape, you may look into finding one that covers vs having to remove and replace with the possibility of damage to the roof.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Jim,
              Very nice write up. Did you use your multistage dam method in re-caulking? I found that tip to be extremely helpful as well. I could see the Arizona sun baking the inside of the rig with a clear skylight.

Jim

Comment

Thanks for the write-up, Jim. I have encountered cracking at the radius of the flange going into the sides of my skylights. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...lights-leaking

What length screws should be used.

This will help with the replacement. I would be using a washer head type screw such as these unless someone can give me a reason not to. Spread the head pressure over a wider area. https://www.amazon.com/SML-C125-100-...571573&sr=8-13
                Last edited by BillinTexas; 07-06-2021, 06:53 AM.
                Bill & Cindy
                2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
                2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post
                  Thanks for the write-up, Jim. I have encountered cracking at the radius of the flange going into the sides of my skylights. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...lights-leaking

This will help with the replacement. I would be using a washer head type screw such as these unless someone can give me a reason not to. Spread the head pressure over a wider area. https://www.amazon.com/SML-C125-100-...571573&sr=8-13
                  I think spreading the pressure is a great idea. I'd certainly consider that if I was doing it again. As far as screw length, you could use 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" with no problems. There is a lot of room in that area and longer screws shouldn't be an issue.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Update: We've been on the road for a few weeks now and we just finished up camping in central Oregon where they experienced some of their hottest temperatures on record. The tinted skylights really seemed to be a big improvement over the clear ones.

Jim
                    Jim and Ginnie
                    2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Bill

The only thing I see with these screws is the threads do not go the whole way to the head of the screw. I believe the roof material is either 3/8" or 1/2" thick, the skylight is about 1/8" thick or less , the TPO is .020" or .030" thick. You will need to make sure that the no thread area does not weaken the holding power of the screw. Fully threaded screws would be better.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Brian, understood and it wouldn't be using those specific screws. I posted as an example of the type of head I planned to use.
                        Bill & Cindy
                        2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                        SE Texas

Comment

Has anyone used hear on the sealant attached to the TPO material to "loosen" it up?
                          Bill & Cindy
                          2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                          SE Texas

Comment

Has anyone used hear on the sealant attached to the TPO material to "loosen" it up?
                            You can use a hair dryer (carefully) to warm up the alpha sealant. I used a plastic trim removal tool (made for a car) and a plastic scraper. With patience and rolling of the sealant with fingers the sealant will come off. It's not fun, and can be time-consuming, but avoiding tearing or stretching the TPO too much is worth it IMHO.
                            Last edited by howson; 07-15-2021, 08:09 PM.
                            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

A hairdryer is what I was thinking and just enough to soften a bit. Thanks for reminding me that I have the plastic trim tools too.
                              Bill & Cindy
                              2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                              SE Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X