Slam locks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slam locks

Can the slam locks on the 2020 Imagines be retrofitted to my 2018 or will I have to replace the doors?
    Vince and Peg with Kennedy (Bernese Mountain Dog)
    2018 Imagine 2600 RB
    2017 Chevy Suburban Premier edition w/max tow package

Vince

I would think that this would be a doable project. You will have to cut some large holes in the door. I would suggest RV locks and more for the latches , this way you can get them keyed the same as you entrance door. I replaced my slam latches with these and did not see any structure inside the door. I believe the doors are just the outer and inner skin with insulation in between. Would be a great mod to share if you do this project.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Brian,
      When I saw the 2020 Imagines this summer on our tour, it looked like the new doors might be a bit thicker...maybe to handle the “slam”? I was hoping that GD might answer as well. If possible, I would entertain the idea of installing new doors.
      2018 Imagine 2600 RB

Comment

Vince

Most of the GD folks on here are at the Hershey show. Will keep an eye on this and hopefully one will help when they get back.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks, Brian.
          I’m really looking forward to the time I can go to these rallies/shows and meet you guys.
          Vince
          2018 Imagine 2600 RB

Comment

Hi Vince,

Grand Design cuts opening in the walls and panels with a router, following internal framing or an external template. If you go forward with this modification, I would suggest a plywood template clamped in exactly the latch position and a top bearing router bit that will follow this template with the bearing while cutting the door panel below it. Rough cutting to within about 1/4" of the final size with a jigsaw would make the final router cut go more easily. The difficulty might be finding a router bit longer than the thickness of the door.

Rob
            Attached Files
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hi Rob,
              thanks for your input. I do a lot of woodworking and that is exactly how I was planning to approach this. It looks a nice to get confirmation on procedures. One of the questions I had is whether or not my 2018 doors were thick enough to handle the slam locks.
              Thanks again,
              Vince
              2018 Imagine 2600 RB

Comment

Originally posted by VinceB View Post
                Hi Rob,
                thanks for your input. I do a lot of woodworking and that is exactly how I was planning to approach this. It looks a nice to get confirmation on procedures. One of the questions I had is whether or not my 2018 doors were thick enough to handle the slam locks.
                Thanks again,
                Vince
                I was eyeballing the outside under-bed storage door today. Sure looks like the same thickness as the passthru doors on my 315RLTS. Making this door a slam-latch would allow me put a keyless lock like the ones on the passthrus and to lock (and unlock) with one push of a remote button.

If you attempt this, *please* document the process with lessons learned so the non-wood workers here (that includes yours truly) can consider tackling this project, too.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

VinceB Good afternoon! This is not something that we would advise you doing, as it will not be covered under warranty when you make any modifications to the doors. I would encourage you to reach out to Lippert Components directly to get a little more information on the actual structure of the door. Thanks!

Comment

Megan,
                    Would it be possible to just swap out the doors. That way there is not question about structural integrity of the door.
                    Thanks,
                    Vince
                    2018 Imagine 2600 RB

Comment

• GDRV-Megan
                      GDRV-Megan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes, that would be an option as well. You'll probably want to reach out to our parts department directly so that they can find a replacement door that would work in place of your current doors. 574-825-9679. Thanks!
                  Working...
                  X