Frame Showing on a Cool Morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame Showing on a Cool Morning

Good example of being able to see where the frame is in your trailer's walls on a cool, moist morning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Frame Showing on a Cool Morning (Medium).jpg
Views:	363
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	42275
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Howard I have a question concerning interior wall seams and the frame since your thread is about the frame. I assume there are framing members at the joints? I am wanting to attach a fire extinguisher at a joint because I believe that is where a stud would be. Can you confirm? Thanks.
    Bill & Cindy
    2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
    SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post
      Howard I have a question concerning interior wall seams and the frame since your thread is about the frame. I assume there are framing members at the joints? I am wanting to attach a fire extinguisher at a joint because I believe that is where a stud would be. Can you confirm? Thanks.
      Your Transcend has wood framing, Bill--quite different from every other GDRV. A stud-finder should do the trick to find where the framing is in your case.

Where, exactly, do you want to install the fire extinguisher? There should be a small white one mounted just inside the entry door on the right hand side.

If you don't have a stud finder, one of my favorite YouTube channels (Project Farm) has a video on the topic.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Thanks, I'm wanting one in the bedroom.
        Bill & Cindy
        2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
        SE Texas

Comment

There are vertical studs that go from the floor to the ceiling on both ends of the windows (both sides of the bedroom). There's a vertical support from the floor to the bottom of the windows approximately in the middle, too, but the Door Side window's stud is more towards the front of the camper (not exactly in the middle).

Those two locations on the floor may pose a tripping hazard, though. The only place that looks feasible in the bedroom is the doorside wall between the heat register and what looks like a sliding door? I'm concerned there may be a vent line in that wall, though, so I wouldn't put any holes in that wall without discussing the exact location you intend to sink a screw in consultation with Grand Design Customer Service. The drawings the moderators have don't go into that level of detail.

Maybe an additional smoke detector in the bedroom will fulfill the requirement? Early warning and a fast departure is the best plan when things go bad in an RV.

Please update this thread with what you decide to do (and why). Thanks!

Howard

Comment

I mounted one to the base that supports the bed. It’s right inside the bedroom door, so it is easily accessed from either the bedroom, bathroom, or just up the stairs from the living area. You would just reach down, unsnap the locking bracket, and it’s ready to go. I should also add that it does not stick out into the room, as the platform for the mattress sticks out further than the extinguisher. I put in a 10abc and it fits there just fine.

I used a 1/2” piece of plywood for a backer, then bolted straight through, using a couple of bolts with nuts and lock washers. My wife likes to keep the bedspread a little lower at the foot of the bed now, during the day, so that she can’t see it. I thing of it as a safety reassurance, so I don’t mind noticing that it is there. To each their own, I guess.
            Last edited by Tom in PGH; 02-09-2021, 07:09 PM.
            Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
            Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
            2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
            Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
            Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

Bill - I'm looking at the framing drawing for your 221RB. There are studs on each side of both windows that butt up against the window openings in the bedroom. On the passenger's side, the window opening should be exactly 24" and the studs are right up against the opening. On the driver's side, the window opening should be 30", with studs located right against the opening.

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Tom in PGH View Post

I mounted one to the base that supports the bed. It’s right inside the bedroom door, so it is easily accessed from either the bedroom, bathroom, or just up the stairs from the living area. You would just reach down, unsnap the locking bracket, and it’s ready to go. I should also add that it does not stick out into the room, as the platform for the mattress sticks out further than the extinguisher. I put in a 10abc and it fits there just fine.

I used a 1/2” piece of plywood for a backer, then bolted straight through, using a couple of bolts with nuts and lock washers. My wife likes to keep the bedspread a little lower at the foot of the bed now, during the day, so that she can’t see it. I thing of it as a safety reassurance, so I don’t mind noticing that it is there. To each their own, I guess.
                That is a good idea, thanks.

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Bill - I'm looking at the framing drawing for your 221RB. There are studs on each side of both windows that butt up against the window openings in the bedroom. On the passenger's side, the window opening should be exactly 24" and the studs are right up against the opening. On the driver's side, the window opening should be 30", with studs located right against the opening.

Jim
                Jim, thanks. I thought there likely were studs in those locations. I'll have to make a final decision on where to mount it.

Appreciate the insight.

Bill & Cindy
                2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                SE Texas

Comment

Working...
                X