2800BH Entry Door Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2800BH Entry Door Issues

Our 2020 2800BH main entry door was always a little hard to close but it's gotten to the point where it wont close without slamming it. Closing it from the inside is a chore. I noticed that the top friction hinge is missing paint on it's top half where its contacting the outer door trim. During my tests I noticed that the door has a considerable bow in the middle. With the top and bottom seals touching there is a decent gap. I put my level on it and there's probably a little over a 3/8" gap. Our front bedroom door which we hardly use operates with ease and does not have this bow.

Is there any easy way to take the bow out of the door? I think the bow is causing the top hinge to bind up making it even harder to close. I've adjusted the door catch out as far as I can and it still doesn't close without a healthy slam. Has anyone done a fix to this issue?
    Mike & Kristyn
    '20 Imagine 2800BH
    '19 F250 XLT 6.7 CC SB
    ProPride 3p 1400

One time, my trailer shifted slightly after I had the trailer leveled and the stabilizers down. (The Trailer was basically on Sand, and the movement of us setting up caused the tire to sink into the ground a bit (between 1/2" and 3/4" inch). Effectifically, the stabilizers were supporting the trailer (which they NEVER should do).

First indication was I had trouble closing the door. Pulled all the stabilizers up, and releveled, and things were fine.

Are you properly leveled, and only using the Stabilizers as stabilizers? They are not leveling jacks, you cannot lift the trailer with them.

All that being said, I don't think this is your issue, but I wanted to float it out there.

Can you post a picture of the bow your seeing?
    Mike
    2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Mike

I would get a call into GD or even Lippert , they supply the door. I do not think there is a way to take the bow out of the door unless you would remove at least the inner skin and frame work.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post
        One time, my trailer shifted slightly after I had the trailer leveled and the stabilizers down. (The Trailer was basically on Sand, and the movement of us setting up caused the tire to sink into the ground a bit (between 1/2" and 3/4" inch). Effectifically, the stabilizers were supporting the trailer (which they NEVER should do).

First indication was I had trouble closing the door. Pulled all the stabilizers up, and releveled, and things were fine.

Are you properly leveled, and only using the Stabilizers as stabilizers? They are not leveling jacks, you cannot lift the trailer with them.

All that being said, I don't think this is your issue, but I wanted to float it out there.

Can you post a picture of the bow your seeing?
        Thanks for the feedback. The trailer does this when its level and I always make sure that the jacks have only enough pressure to stabilize the rig but not lift it. The door is doing this both camping and when level in storage.

I'll go ahead and post pictures later.
        Mike & Kristyn
        '20 Imagine 2800BH
        '19 F250 XLT 6.7 CC SB
        ProPride 3p 1400

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
          Mike

I would get a call into GD or even Lippert , they supply the door. I do not think there is a way to take the bow out of the door unless you would remove at least the inner skin and frame work.

Brian
          Thanks Brian,

I'll get an email into GD and see what they say. Unfortunately my 1 year warranty just ran out so I'm hoping Lippert has more than a 1 year warranty.
          Mike & Kristyn
          '20 Imagine 2800BH
          '19 F250 XLT 6.7 CC SB
          ProPride 3p 1400

Comment

Originally posted by MikeG90 View Post

Thanks Brian,

I'll get an email into GD and see what they say. Unfortunately my 1 year warranty just ran out so I'm hoping Lippert has more than a 1 year warranty.
            GD has a three-year structural warranty. Check with them and see if this type of problem might fall under that (it did for a flooring issue on a slide on our previous Reflection).

Rob
            Rob & Laura
            U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
            2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
            2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
            (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
            Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post

GD has a three-year structural warranty. Check with them and see if this type of problem might fall under that (it did for a flooring issue on a slide on our previous Reflection).

Rob
              Great! Thanks Rob. It didn't dawn on me that this may fall under the structural warranty.
              Mike & Kristyn
              '20 Imagine 2800BH
              '19 F250 XLT 6.7 CC SB
              ProPride 3p 1400

Comment

Upon further inspection of the door and comparing it to the properly functioning door it seems the slight bow is intentional and exists in both doors. The bow seems to be a consistent 1/4 inch in both doors.

It looks like the issue with the hinges. The top hinge seems to be in the "closed" position too early (not enough travel to allow the hinge to close). I'll be contacting GD customer service to see what can be done. Something is out of alignment.

Here is a picture of the rubbing I described on the binding hinge.
                Mike & Kristyn
                '20 Imagine 2800BH
                '19 F250 XLT 6.7 CC SB
                ProPride 3p 1400

Comment

MikeG90, From the pic it appears that the hinge is fastened perhaps at an angle, it certainly seems to be close to the frame. Check inside the door with it open and see if the hinge base is flat to the door frame or is bent. I had a similar issue on a different unit and the hole in the door frame had a burr on it that ****ed the hinge and it was not flat to the frame causing it to tip the hinge forward and lightly scrape on the frame from the outside. It appears that the most scrapping is at the top of the hinge, also check to see if that hinge has the same gap to the edge of the frame on the outside. The repair was to drill out the rivets on that hinge, file down the the burr and refasten with new pop rivets, that solved that problem. I believe Lippert makes those doors and they have an instruction sheet on how to bow the doors with wood blocks. They say the bow should be between 1/8 to 1/4 inch as measured in the center with a straight edge full length of the door. The bow helps to ensure a good seal against weather. Good luck.
                  flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Originally posted by David Nicolls View Post
                    MikeG90, From the pic it appears that the hinge is fastened perhaps at an angle, it certainly seems to be close to the frame.
                    I agree with that for sure. It is not installed correctly at all. Instead of attempting this repair myself I put a call into the extended warranty company. Our contract covers doors & hinges so I've got the claim pre-approved and set a service date with the dealer.

Unfortunately I wont be able to document my repair process to share it for others down the road.

Mike & Kristyn
                    '20 Imagine 2800BH
                    '19 F250 XLT 6.7 CC SB
                    ProPride 3p 1400

Comment

Just wanted to give a little update here. GD picked this up under warranty and they are replacing the whole door. It's good to know GD is standing behind their product.
                      Mike & Kristyn
                      '20 Imagine 2800BH
                      '19 F250 XLT 6.7 CC SB
                      ProPride 3p 1400

Comment

Just wanted to give a little update here. GD picked this up under warranty and they are replacing the whole door. It's good to know GD is standing behind their product.
                        I was wondering why you were going thru the service contract company rather than the factory warranty process.
                        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                        Nash County, NC
                        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowells View Post

I was wondering why you were going thru the service contract company rather than the factory warranty process.
                          I wasn't sure that it would be covered since I was outside the first year warranty window. When they said GD was picking it up under warranty I didn't ask any questions. I suppose this may fall under the structural warranty.
                          Mike & Kristyn
                          '20 Imagine 2800BH
                          '19 F250 XLT 6.7 CC SB
                          ProPride 3p 1400

Comment

I wasn't sure that it would be covered since I was outside the first year warranty window. When they said GD was picking it up under warranty I didn't ask any questions. I suppose this may fall under the structural warranty.
                            Since it was a 2020, I thought it was probably still in the year warranty, but Grand Design is great about stretching out the year.
                            Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                            Nash County, NC
                            2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

I was wondering if you had the door replaced yet I have the same problem all the way down to the paint chipping on the top hinge. I just looked at my hinges and the upper hinge on the bottom of the door I can put my key in between the door frame and where the hinge is riveted on.. I was wondering if yours was the same way?

Comment

Working...
                              X