Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Streaks

3170 BH 2018 Model

My apologies if this has been covered. I could not find it if so. Basically wanted your advice for removing white streaks or improving the look a the black plastic in the lower front of my rig. Have tried the usual myriad of products at local stores and Bugs-n-stuff with no luck. Picture attached. All advice and ideas welcome Thanks!
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Gunso View Post
    3170 BH 2018 Model

My apologies if this has been covered. I could not find it if so. Basically wanted your advice for removing white streaks or improving the look a the black plastic in the lower front of my rig. Have tried the usual myriad of products at local stores and Bugs-n-stuff with no luck. Picture attached. All advice and ideas welcome Thanks!
    Well, that's a new one on me. I'm assuming that is a painted metal panel? Just a thought - I wonder if a little vinegar might work? Being slightly acidic, it may cut through it.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Gunso TucsonJim
      It depends on what the white stuff is. If it is hard water stains from washing the trailer try CLR. If it is wax form the cap, then a good wax remover. Is it possibly coming off the roof?

Moderators. This is one you might want to tag GD on. I had a similar issue where my garden sprinkler hit the side of my trailer (windy day). Even using the vinegar and CLR (plus Dawn) I still have the issue. It's better but not perfect. I thought about going with a stronger solution such muradic acid (concrete cleaner) but decided no as I did not know how it would react with the paint and aluminum. I wonder if oxi-clean or TSP would work?

Trying to help
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Gunso ,
        What I recommend is calling Grand Design Customer Service to get clarification on exactly what type of material they used to construct that lower portion of your cap. Sometimes, due to supply issues, material is substituted so even if another owner of an '18 swears by a specific cleaner it may not work on your camper.

Once you get the exact material it (hopefully) will be easier to track down the right cleaner.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The lower cap on my Imagine is aluminum but it also is a 2017 unit. I'm curious if the OP has used some type of sealer or conditioner on the rubber roof?

Jim

Comment

Looks like the cap has oxidized and the runoff has reacted with the finish of the skirt.
            To what extent any chemical reaction has affected the actual color of the skirt will need to be tested.
            IF the skirt is ABS plastic, the color runs through the material. If aluminum, it is painted.

I think a very WEAK solution of muriatic acid and water, applied in an inconspicuous test area should yield more information.
            IF it is any type of calcium, the acid solution will remove it.
            It may be necessary to increase potency to register any reaction, but prudence should be observed.
            Muriatic acid will not affect plastic as it always comes full strength in plastic jugs.

Please let us know how you make out.

Michael
            F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat LB 25 row aux transmission cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 Performance chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks, 152 K

2017 307 MKS 9,875 UVW 12,995 GVWR 1,605 Pin wt.

Comment

Working...
            X