Roof Care Products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof Care Products

We are new to RVs and the maintenance Manuel recommendations cleaning roof, inspections of sealant and applying sealant if cracked or peeling.

GDRV Emily recommenced Alpha for rood sealant instead of Dicor. But there are different kinds of Alpha.

Please provide name and type of sealant and also roof cleaner and conditioners recommenced.

Thank you!

Originally posted by Michael and Deborah View Post
    We are new to RVs and the maintenance Manuel recommendations cleaning roof, inspections of sealant and applying sealant if cracked or peeling.

GDRV Emily recommenced Alpha for rood sealant instead of Dicor. But there are different kinds of Alpha.

Please provide name and type of sealant and also roof cleaner and conditioners recommenced.

Thank you!
    FYI, I moved your thread to the "Exterior" channel so it gets the exposure it deserves.

The recommended sealants for your TPO (Thermoplastic Polyolefin) roof are made by the Alpha corporation. You can find sealants under the Alpha name on Amazon or you can find it under the "Superflex" name at Camping World. A self-leveling sealant is used for horizontal surfaces. A "non sag" sealant for vertical surfaces. (The self-leveling does what it's name implies. The "non sag" doesn't run so thus why it is good for vertical surfaces.) Color is at your discretion.

For cleaning the roof, follow Alpha's documented recommendations. In post 17 of this thread https://gdrvowners.com/forum/grand-d...alant-question I posted a link to their recommended process. (I see you're on that thread, too.)

I am not advocating Camping World as the source, only providing information--here's a link to the self-leveling SuperFlex: https://www.campingworld.com/super-f...ite-80294.html

-Howard

P.S. Regarding your "is Dicor wrong" question...I'll decline from directly answering but will encourage you to stick with Alpha products. No reason not to, and by doing so it ensures there's no doubt whatsoever that the correct product was used on your roof should there every be a question.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Alpha 1021 is the self leveling, the 1010 is the non-sag (vertical).

With regards to Dicor on TPO I’m in the just say no camp, The Dicor tube says it is safe for TPO with the caveat it may cause some minor appearance issues.
      Colan Arnold
      2016 Momentum 397TH
      Full time since 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Triplethreat
        For some reason, my old guy memory is telling me the Alpha number was like 1021. I'm going to check......be back in a minute. I've got some saved in my shopping list on Amazon, and put it there after I read the thread on it a couple of weeks ago......OK, I'm back.....Alpha 1021 is the self leveling and they sell a two pack on Amazon for $18.85.
        Tripletreat,

The Alpha products on Amazon as well as the superflex has been approved through Emily@GDRV

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=alpha+1010&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Jim

Comment

I used the Alpha self leveling sealant when I changed out my bathroom vent fan and installed a solar panel on the roof. It is effective and messy like Dicor.

I would also recommend Eternabond tape. It is great to cover tears in the roof, as a sealant at the roof to front and rear roof joints, and many folks use it along with or instead of lap sealant at their roof vents and other roof penetrations. It is considered a permanent fix. I used it on a motorhome with a fiberglass roof and what I put there was still stuck fast 17 years later.

I currently have some small nicks/tears in my TPO along the edge near the drip rail (tree limb ??) and will be using Eternabond on that area.
          2019 Solitude 384GK-R.

Comment

Man, I'm not happy with the Super-Flex brand. I resealed the seam along my back cap in June. I just inspected it again and it's full of small cracks and voids. This stuff sure doesn't seem to hold up well. One other issue. The tube says that it expires one year from the date of manufacture. However, a Camping World employee and I searched the tube for a manufacturing date, and there was none. So how do you know if the tube is past it's shelf life?

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
            X