Extra Awning on 2018 375RES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra Awning on 2018 375RES

Can an awning be added to the dining slide? 2018 Solitude 375RES Thanks!

Hi Lynn, welcome to Grand Design's (Technical) Owners Forum. Since that was your first post please allow me to mention that there's a Welcome Letter to New Members at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members I hope you'll take a moment and give it a read--it should help you get the most from your time here on the forum.

To your question: I assume you want a powered awning like the one outside the bedroom on the camp side of the camper? Short answer: not recommended.

Long Answer: Grand Design entrusts the moderators with drawings (we're not allowed to post or share) so I have a resource to look at with regards to your question. Grand Design embedded Electro Galvanized Steel ("EGS") in the wall above the bedroom window to support the OEM-supplied awning. Unfortunately the drawing I have shows there's no such support over the dining room slide window.

There may be an option. At the 2019 Grand Design National Rally I spotted a Solitude whose owner had installed a manual awning on his dinette slide. I can't advise on how it was done, only that it was done and the owner seemed quite pleased with the install. I don't have any other info on the install (sorry).

Paul & Deb -- this Solitude was parked close to where you were parked. Any chance you know who it is?

TucsonJim or Cate&Rob -- any ideas on who the owner of the Solitude is?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Solitude.JPG Views:	0 Size:	89.8 KB ID:	43692
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Shade Pro.JPG Views:	0 Size:	145.5 KB ID:	43693
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn Carson View Post
      Can an awning be added to the dining slide? 2018 Solitude 375RES Thanks!
      Hi Lynn,
      Welcome to our owners technical forum.

When Grand Design installs an awning, they bond pieces of steel sheet to the back of the exterior wall where the awning will attach. This strengthens the wall and provides a material that will retain the fastening screws. Without this backing, the awning would be attached to only the exterior skin of the RV which is a combination of wood and fiberglass less than 1/4" thick that is not strong enough to hold an awning.

We researched the same question about adding an awning to the slide on our Reflection, similar to later models. The answer was (unfortunately) that this is not possible.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
      X