About the roof and warranty work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About the roof and warranty work?

Help me please. Bought our 2670MK back in late June. I have had no leaks that I know of yet, but the workmanship is a little below standard on my roof. I've been up there and looked close.
    Still it has not leaked.

Just how is my roof being covered under the 3 year warrenty from GD?
    I'm trying to understand. So I'd like to know if my roof is covered or not?
    Here is the main statement they seem to make on other forms. A few have said it like this. Just a few , but they ad to my confusion.

========="GD says it's not covered by warranty because it was past 90 days before the dealer got to it."========================================

Now I just don't get that part. I thought my camper was covered for 3 years ? Says it on the sticker right on my door. So what do they mean by saying this?
    How can it not be covered by GD? I'm sure they are wrong saying such a thing. They say the camper is less than a year old.

Any help trying to understand this would be great. Because other than this , most all I see are great posting about GD standing behind their product.
    Heck the dealer replaced our entire slide out wall for us. Once GD sent them the parts. Then again the camper was only in my hands for 3 days before I told them about the issue.

WARRANTY WORK ARRRGGGG!!! I never get it.

Thank You
    Jim
    Last edited by ScopesNC; 09-20-2019, 05:16 PM.
    Jim T
    2019 Imagine 2670MK
    Ram 2500 Deisel

Jim

Here is a link to GD's site where it says the TPO roof has a warranty of 12 years.
    https://www.granddesignrv.com/why-gdrv/construction

The RV warranty , as i understand it , is 1 year bumper to bumper , 3 year structural , 12 years on the TPO roof. Some of the appliances have a 2 year warranty.
    I am not sure what the 12 year warranty covers. I have heard that some have received replacement roofs but not sure of how old the units were. A phone call to GD , with vin number , may get you some better results. I would ask them to send you an email of the coverage so you have a paper trail, you may have to request this. I do not have my packet that came with our RV here with me to try to read about this, if i recall there is not much info in the packet about the roof warranty.
    Any info you get please share as this would be helpful to all.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Curious, what on your roof are you seeing as substandard?

if you are concerned about the abundance of sealant, that’s normal. The stuff is self-leveling, even if you could run a pretty bead it wouldn’t stay that way. As the self-leveling sealant cures it flows outward.
      Colan Arnold
      2016 Momentum 397TH
      Full time since 2016

Comment

• ScopesNC
        ScopesNC commented
        Editing a comment
        colan

I can tell that some left over junk or debre has been left on the roof and not cleaned off before the TPO was laid down. You can even feel it. It is not smooth at all. . It ri[pples and has bumps all over the front half of the roof. It is different in the back half which is smooth and my last camper had a TPO roof and was laid down smooth as glass..
        Like I said mine is not leaking and I hope it never does. It does bother me how the TPO was laid down so poorly. Which is why I'd like to know how the warranty works for sure.

Jim

A little more searching I have come up with this link.
      https://dicorproducts.com/faq/

They manufacture 2 types of TPO roofing material , now all i need to do is figure out which one that GD uses.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

• ScopesNC
        ScopesNC commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes it would be nice to know all of this for sure. Roof leaks can total out a camper quick. I would think GD will back up their product.I see a lot of good things said about GD backing their product. I'd just like to know how and or in what way will they help me ,if in say 2 years my roof needs replacement due to the work being a tad poor and not standing up for as long as it should. Just because the TPO material is backed up for 12 years doesn't mean GD will back the install of it for 12 years or 3 years for structural. I'd like it in plane words just how they cover it. It is very unclear to me and I would think others as well. Which I also think is why some may exaggerate their dealings with GD in these matters. To me at least it is just not all that clear.

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      Jim

Here is a link to GD's site where it says the TPO roof has a warranty of 12 years.
      https://www.granddesignrv.com/why-gdrv/construction

The RV warranty , as i understand it , is 1 year bumper to bumper , 3 year structural , 12 years on the TPO roof. Some of the appliances have a 2 year warranty.
      I am not sure what the 12 year warranty covers. I have heard that some have received replacement roofs but not sure of how old the units were. A phone call to GD , with vin number , may get you some better results. I would ask them to send you an email of the coverage so you have a paper trail, you may have to request this. I do not have my packet that came with our RV here with me to try to read about this, if i recall there is not much info in the packet about the roof warranty.
      Any info you get please share as this would be helpful to all.

Brian
      Yes see that is why I'm confused about their statements. I'll contact them as soon as I can find the number. Not sure anyone would answer on weekends. LOL
      Last edited by ScopesNC; 09-20-2019, 08:05 PM. Reason: typos
      Jim T
      2019 Imagine 2670MK
      Ram 2500 Deisel

Comment

My understanding is that the 12 year roof membrane warranty is “material only”. Removal of the old and installation of the replacement is not included. I have also heard that the material warranty may be prorated across the 12 years.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I forgot to say thanks for all the input on this.

Thank you.
          Jim T
          2019 Imagine 2670MK
          Ram 2500 Deisel

Comment

The link I posted above gives some good info, you have ot look thru there site. As Rob has stated above the warranty is prorated. I found some interesting specs that the thickness is only .025" , for me being a machinist that is a pretty thin piece of material for a roof thickness. The EPDM roof has a thickness of .035" , not much but I would prefer that. They also have installation instructions , maintenance and such. I encourage all to browse the Dicor website for a lot of useful information.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

The roofing material is supplied by Alpha Systems, this is in the owners manual. The nominal thickness is .030 according to their specs.
              https://www.alphallc.us/product/roofing/
              The manual has 11 pages of warranty info on the 1 year and 3 year warranties. The section following this details component supplier contact and warranty info.

I'm thinking the 90 days is referring to inspection of roof seals every 90 days. I'm not clear if this inspection is required to be done by a dealer or if you can do it yourself and document it. Really, who is going to take their trailer to a dealer every 90 days? You'd have no time to camp. BTW, use of sealants other than Alpha Systems products could affect the 12 year material warranty. As Rob said, the 12 year warranty covers the material only, not the installation.
              2020 Reflection 315RLTS 2016 Silverado 2500HD
              "Use your head for something besides a hat rack"......my Dad.

Comment

I think you will find since it is not leaking and there is no failure of the actual covering there will be no warrantee coverage.

Both GD and Alpha will say there is no failure even though it may have been a bad install. It should be covered by workmanship warrantee but that is probably only good for 90 days.

My roof was replaced by Dicor at 4+ years old due to materials failure but they almost didn't cover it saying there was no leakage. They finally stepped up since the roof material (EPDM) was actually deteriorating and turning to putty. Apparently a bad batch of the EPDM in late 2014.
                Jim (& Sharon)
                2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
                2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
                The toys:
                2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
                2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

I'm not trying to get a new roof . I'm trying to understand the warranty. Just to see where I stand at this point. It is strange that they would ask you to inspect the seals yourself. How do I know it is good or bad or going bad? I mean I can look and see if it is ripped or torn maybe and yes maybe even find a leak. Odds are good I don't know enough to tell. It would be crazy to go back to a dealer every 90 days though.
                  So how does one judge such a thing and tell GD and the dealer " hey this has a bad replace " I don't think that would get me to far. LOL

I'll give them a call Monday.

Again thanks for all the input.
                  Jim T
                  2019 Imagine 2670MK
                  Ram 2500 Deisel

Comment

ScopesNC ,

Hi Jim,

It is just part of RV ownership that the onus is on the owner to keep an eye on the condition of everything. But . . . that is where this forum can help! If you see something that you think “might” be a concern, take a picture and post it here. You will very quickly get several replies (they won’t always agree LOL) on whether you have something that needs attention or not.

Rob
                    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 09-22-2019, 05:40 AM.
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Our new 2018 374TH-R Solitude had issues when we bought it. Debris on the underside of the roofing the dealership said. They didn't tell us this right away, but did file for a replacement of the roofing. We found this out after a month of ownership when calling for minor stuff to be fixed.
                      I called Grand Design to confirm the work order and was verified. The work has been done by the dealership.

I have heard that others have also had debris under the roofing material and got the roofing replaced under warranty. You need to take pictures and email Grand Design and follow-up with a phone call if necessary. KEN
                      2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. It's HUGE.
                      Update: Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19
                      10-19-18 - 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4 X 4 Long Box.

Comment

Originally posted by orbiker View Post
                        Our new 2018 374TH-R Solitude had issues when we bought it. Debris on the underside of the roofing the dealership said. They didn't tell us this right away, but did file for a replacement of the roofing. We found this out after a month of ownership when calling for minor stuff to be fixed.
                        I called Grand Design to confirm the work order and was verified. The work has been done by the dealership.

I have heard that others have also had debris under the roofing material and got the roofing replaced under warranty. You need to take pictures and email Grand Design and follow-up with a phone call if necessary. KEN
                        That is good to know. Good for Grand Design standing up and taking care of the issue.
                        I'll be calling them next week. I had no time today and I'm off to our star party the rest of this week. Lot of good camping and observing . We do it every year .
                        Here is a link in case anyone has a interest. Also a link where you can watch live broadcasting of the deep sky objects we are looking at live with our cameras and telescopes. All of course at night with clear skies.
                        https://nightskyobservatory.wixsite.com/ecvar
                        https://www.nightskiesnetwork.com

Thanks for he input orbiker
                        Jim T
                        2019 Imagine 2670MK
                        Ram 2500 Deisel

Comment

Originally posted by JCR GD View Post
                          I think you will find since it is not leaking and there is no failure of the actual covering there will be no warrantee coverage.

Both GD and Alpha will say there is no failure even though it may have been a bad install. It should be covered by workmanship warrantee but that is probably only good for 90 days.

My roof was replaced by Dicor at 4+ years old due to materials failure but they almost didn't cover it saying there was no leakage. They finally stepped up since the roof material (EPDM) was actually deteriorating and turning to putty. Apparently a bad batch of the EPDM in late 2014.
                          Hum it's seem that I"M running in the same situation as yours. I have a 2014 that the roof is bubbling now after almost 5 years old.... I've asked GD to know what to do with this situation.

Comment

• JCR GD
                            JCR GD commented
                            Editing a comment
                            PM sent...
                        Working...
                        X