spare tire relocation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spare tire relocation

Just purchased the Transcend Xplor221 and the spare tire will interfere with our bike rack, has anyone done a relocation on this? Thanks
    Mike Foster
    2020 Transcend Xplor 221RB

Originally posted by mesa View Post
    Just purchased the Transcend Xplor221 and the spare tire will interfere with our bike rack, has anyone done a relocation on this? Thanks
    I haven't seen much on the Transcend. If you end up relocating the spare you'll be a "trailblazer", so please post and show us the results. (Thanks!)
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

mesa

I have seen others use this https://www.amazon.com/BAL-28218-Hid.../dp/B00KPQYV0E
      Should be able to install this under your trailer.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

See post 12 on this thread . . .
        https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-trailer-tires

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks all, that one from Amazon looks good.
          Mike Foster

Comment

It would be interesting to know if GDRV approves the use of a bumper mounted bike rack in place of the spare tire. Also what bike rack are you planning to use since many are not approved for the back of a trailer. My Thule is not approved for example.
            Last edited by Guest; 09-22-2019, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Can you post a picture of how they mounted the spare and the attachment to the bumper - might give us an idea of what your up against. I have seen bike racks that mount around or to the spare tire too.
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Thet mounted to rear bumper, no way to fit both on without covering the tail light.
                Mike Foster

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                  It would be interesting to know if GDRV approves the use of a bumper mounted bike rack in place of the spare tire. Also what bike rack are you planning to use since many are not approved for the back of a trailer. My Thule is not approved for example.
                  Over the years, GDRV has gone on record that you can mount a bike rack on the bumper as long as the total weight of the rack and bike doesn't exceed 100 pounds. It might be worthwhile touching base with them again to see if anything has changed.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

GDRV-Emily,

Can you provide the official word on the question of mounting a bike rack to the rear bumper and to which models? Would this be in addition to the spare tire or in place of? Or not at all recommended?

Thank you

Jim

Comment

I'm pretty sure the BAL carrier referenced in this thread has been upgraded to use a gear driven cable. Best research latest models before you buy.

-Steve
                      2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
                      Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
                      2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
                      18k B&W Companion, non-slider
                      640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
                      Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
                      Somerset, WI

Comment

I have had this bike rack mounted on my last trailer for years with no problem and that trailer was not made as well as this Grand Design.😁
                        Mike Foster

Comment

Rob,

We have a 2018 GD Imagine 2950RL and I'm planning on moving the spare tire to under the trailer. I have purchased a BAL Hide-A-Spare rack to mount behind the rear wheels. Right now, the only concern I have is that I will need to drop the bottom enclosure some to mount this rack, then reattach the enclosure. Do you have any suggestion or recommendations on this process?

Paul Daniel
                          2018 Imagine 2950RL

Comment

Originally posted by DanielOK24 View Post
                            Rob,

We have a 2018 GD Imagine 2950RL and I'm planning on moving the spare tire to under the trailer. I have purchased a BAL Hide-A-Spare rack to mount behind the rear wheels. Right now, the only concern I have is that I will need to drop the bottom enclosure some to mount this rack, then reattach the enclosure. Do you have any suggestion or recommendations on this process?

Paul Daniel
                            2018 Imagine 2950RL
                            Cate&Rob -- I think Paul Daniel meant to "tag" you. (Paul--to "tag" use the @ symbol followed by the forum name, like DanielOK24 .)

Jim, aka Guest , since you're an Imagine owner any inputs?

Anyone else that has any advice--please contribute.

Howard
                            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson Thanks for the information on tagging someone. Hopefully I did this right this time. lol

Comment

Working...
                              X