Exterior Wall Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exterior Wall Repair

Well, I had a mishap parking the trailer on our return from the Quartzsite Get Together. I scraped the exterior against the corner of my garage roof tile leaving a gouge in my gelcoat and exposing the material that lies beneath. It doesn't go all the way through the bonded wall but I will need to do something to repair it and keep water from infitrating the wall.

First, I don't truly understand the construction of the exterior walls. I think they are bonded and there are at least 2 layers of material including the gelcoat but that's all I know. I did read try searching and read through the first 15 pages of this section and couldn't find a post to help.

Anyway, anyone know of a DIY repair for this?

My first step will be tp remove the decals, which are faded and cracked anyway, to expose the severity of the damage and go from there. I have found some gelcoat repair kits online but would love to hear of anyone else has made this kind of repair before I start.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
    Paul and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Paul,

From what I've seen on my Imagine its gelcoat, fiberglass, luan, foam, luan and wallpaper. Not counting the aluminum framing. Any good body shop would be able to strip the decal, fill and paint to match and install a new decal.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
      First, I don't truly understand the construction of the exterior walls. I think they are bonded and there are at least 2 layers of material including the gelcoat but that's all I know.
      Can't help with how to repair--no experience or expertise in that area. I can show you the wall, though. This is from the exterior wall of my Reflection when I made the hole for the dryer vent.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1027 (Large).JPG
Views:	968
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	44356
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Can't help with how to repair--no experience or expertise in that area. I can show you the wall, though. This is from the exterior wall of my Reflection when I made the hole for the dryer vent.

This picture is really a great reference Howard! Taking a closer look at my damage I see no sign that the damage got as deep as the first layer of luan. I would think I could see it on an edge but I don't so I will take that as a positive sign.

I've done some searches on decal removal and have ordered some stuff that should make short work of the decals but won't have it until the end of the week. In the mean time I will try my heat gun to see but previous attempts on badly sun damaged decals with just heat was not productive.
        Last edited by howson; 02-28-2021, 02:53 PM.
        Paul and Deb Cervone
        2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
        2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

I've done some searches on decal removal and have ordered some stuff that should make short work of the decals but won't have it until the end of the week. In the mean time I will try my heat gun to see but previous attempts on badly sun damaged decals with just heat was not productive.
          Paul - I'm not sure what product you ordered. But I've heard really good things about a gel called GraphXOff. I've never used it though.

I think you're right that the scrape is only into the fiberglass and not all the way through it.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Paul - I'm not sure what product you ordered. But I've heard really good things about a gel called GraphXOff. I've never used it though.

I think you're right that the scrape is only into the fiberglass and not all the way through it.

Jim

I ordered Crystal Tek Vinyl-Off. I' sure it's a similar product. Someone on the other forum owns a graphics business and he reportedly has great success with it especially on old dried out decals like mine. We'll see.
            Paul and Deb Cervone
            2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
            2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Will your trailer insurance policy pay for the repair? I would take it to a body shop as mentioned but check your insurance.
              Vivian
              2018 Reflection 303rls
              Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
              Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
                Will your trailer insurance policy pay for the repair? I would take it to a body shop as mentioned but check your insurance.
                I'm certain it would but no way I want it in a shop for the next couple of months getting a repair when it's so minor. I'm hoping I can deal with it myself.
                Paul and Deb Cervone
                2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Paul & Deb
                  Hi Paul,

Sorry to learn about your intersection with the garage roof. I can't offer any first hand advice on repairing RV gelcoat although I have done this on boats. The most difficult part is getting an exact color match, but under the decals, this will be less important. Gelcoat repair materials should be available from any marine supplier . . . maybe RV supply places too?

A few years back, the best advice for removing decals was a 3M Stripe Off wheel. Sort of like a spinning eraser. https://www.amazon.com/Stripe-Wheel-...NsaWNrPXRydWU= I have one of these but have not tried it yet . . . my decals in the same location look almost as bad as yours. I will be interested in your plan for replacing these.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

For replacing vinyl decals, if you can find a sign shop in the area that does exterior signs or vehicle wraps, they typically print the logos on vinyl. They can probably take pictures and measurements before you remove them and either print the and compare before the actual repair job, or hold the pattern until the repair is finished and then do the printing and installation.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
                      Paul
                      If you going to try the repair yourself West System has some great products https://www.westsystem.com/

I bought mine through https://www.westmarine.com/west-system. Good customer service too.

Keith
                      Last edited by howson; 03-01-2021, 01:53 PM. Reason: Trimmed quote..
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Paul
                        If you going to try the repair yourself West System has some great products https://www.westsystem.com/

I bought mine through https://www.westmarine.com/west-system. Good customer service too.

Keith
                        Paul & Deb

I also thought of suggesting West System. I am a huge fan of their products and have gone through literally gallons on many laminated wood boat projects across over 30 years . . . but, this is Epoxy, not Polyester resin, which I think is the exterior material on our RVs. It might be worth a call to Grand Design Customer Service to determine exactly what the original RV skin is made of. The epoxy will certainly be stronger than polyester but will be even more difficult to color match and sand out to a smooth finish.

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

So at this point I have filed a claim just to see what they estimate the damage to be. I've also spoken with a reputable shop about the possibilty of doing the repair so we'll see where this goes. In the mean time, after the adjuster has seen the damage as is and I get a few more pictures, I will remove the decals and cover the gash with some duct tape to keep it dry because we have trips planned over the next couple of months that I don't want to cancel.

I will keep my progress reported here.
                          Paul and Deb Cervone
                          2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                          2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

So at this point I have filed a claim just to see what they estimate the damage to be. I've also spoken with a reputable shop about the possibilty of doing the repair so we'll see where this goes. In the mean time, after the adjuster has seen the damage as is and I get a few more pictures, I will remove the decals and cover the gash with some duct tape to keep it dry because we have trips planned over the next couple of months that I don't want to cancel.

I will keep my progress reported here.
                            Or, Paul - fill the gouge with some sort of a caulk, smooth it with a putty knife/similar flat object using a caulk that can be removed W/O too much difficulty.

Dan
                            Dan & Carol
                            2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                            2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Paul & Deb

I also thought of suggesting West System. I am a huge fan of their products and have gone through literally gallons on many laminated wood boat projects across over 30 years . . . but, this is Epoxy, not Polyester resin, which I think is the exterior material on our RVs. It might be worth a call to Grand Design Customer Service to determine exactly what the original RV skin is made of. The epoxy will certainly be stronger than polyester but will be even more difficult to color match and sand out to a smooth finish.

Rob
                              X2 Rob,

Polyester resin will also dissolve foam.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X